+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2630Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

I think last night was the night I finally have to step off the Aviva bus. I've liked the way she carried herself all season, but last night they showed how she can really push things too far. First she did it with Heather. After everyone had diffused the situation at the party, she had to keep it going insisting on pushing her point with Heather until Heather was willing to give in completely. Then with the charity event, she just would not let it go. If LuAnn showed up not even realizing that it was a charity event, then clearly Aviva did not take the steps normally taken for such an event to explain the charity on invites, make it clear to participants what they can do to help raise money, etc. So if LuAnn didn't know it, then it is understandable that Ramona and Sonya didn't realize how important it was to her. For her to bring it up at the lunch was slightly rude, but to keep pushing it and pushing it was over the top.
    GabbyG, Lizard, mayamaisha and 2 others like this.

i've got one foot off the aviva bus too after last night. like you said, she clearly did not make this event known to her castmates in a way that explained what was going on.

and as a dog mom, i thought her dismissal of sonja's dog being sick was awful. if my baby was sick (at death's door or not) i would be there for him and not have someone else take him to the vet. i get that non dog parent people don't really get the bond (i sure didn't before i got my pooch! i hated the kind of people i've become, lolololol), but she was just sooooooo dismissive of it. i do have to admit tho that i fell out in hysterical laughter when sonja kept talking abt how proud the dog is. my dog is pretty proud and vain tho too so i understood what she was saying.

ramona continues to disgust me. that whole display in the plastic surgery office???? and i'm confused - why was her face red from her butt injections or whatever it was she was doing???

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think last night was the night I finally have to step off the Aviva bus. I've liked the way she carried herself all season, but last night they showed how she can really push things too far. First she did it with Heather. After everyone had diffused the situation at the party, she had to keep it going insisting on pushing her point with Heather until Heather was willing to give in completely. Then with the charity event, she just would not let it go. If LuAnn showed up not even realizing that it was a charity event, then clearly Aviva did not take the steps normally taken for such an event to explain the charity on invites, make it clear to participants what they can do to help raise money, etc. So if LuAnn didn't know it, then it is understandable that Ramona and Sonya didn't realize how important it was to her. For her to bring it up at the lunch was slightly rude, but to keep pushing it and pushing it was over the top.
    GabbyG likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There's something shady about people who talk to fast, too dramatically, and too loud about their excuses when confronted about their absences. The phrase, "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much." comes to mind.

If I were pathetic Aviva, I don't think I would have brought up their absence at all and just watched their show. That would tell it all.

I am convinced that their absences were cooked up, together. If they didn't want to go/couldn't go they should have just said so and left it alone.
    sparklete likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just had to put my 12 year old dog to sleep (such a weird thing to type) on Monday, and I can kind of understand SonJa, but she is a bit over the top. I think if it had been a party, she'd have been right there with Aviva.
    PA Snow Bunny likes this.

The thing I don't understand about Aviva is why she's so worried about whether someone (Heather, Lulu and Jacques) is being mean to someone other than herself. Sometimes, people are especially sensitive and upset by qualities that they have, when they see them in other people. So Aviva could be an example-- She really seems to have a mean streak, and get angry at other people easily, but she's rather good at masking it. Still, she gets especially worked up to the point of being mean if she can blame someone for something they did to someone else. Then, in her mind, she's defending the downtrodden, not being mean.

And then if she feels bad later about being mean, to justify the meanness, she keeps bringing whatever it is up, and repeating over and over that the other person did something bad-- as if to say-- it was ok that I was mean to you because you did something so awful to poor, benighted whomever-- whom I'm just trying to protect.

Then it becomes like a fixation, and every time she brings it up-- she has to bring it up again, to reinsist that what she did in being mean was, under the circumstances, correct.

Why she's been kowtowing to Ramona I don't know-- maybe, like with her husband Reid, she finds one protector, whom she clings to while she turns against the "bad" mean world-- I bet she experienced an awful lot of meanness about her disability as a kid and isn't as blase about her leg, underneath it all, as she acts.

As for Sonja's dog-- I don't have my own pets. But it was fascinating how she turned the tables on Aviva, when Aviva suddenly got all self-righteous about the charity event.

Still Sonja really loves this dog-- or at least feels a sense that losing him would be unbearable,-- and therefore you have to think how much emotional meaning the dog has to carry. It's kind of disturbing to watch how easily she comes unraveled these days-- and I guess is frightened for herself, and the straitened lifestyle she seems to be reduced to. Reduced circumstances are often really traumatic for people-- and the idea that her unfaithful husband who is still wealthy, is not only gone, but flagrantly seducing other women around her, while she is left without resources-- must be a really horrible thought. Sitting there while the other women laugh about sleeping with him must be awful. I really feel for her-- although I can't say I find her a truly sympathetic character. Despite her own bad business judgment with movie deals and whatever in the past, she still seems to feel entitled, and projects a phantasy that she's grand-- and can walk over someone like Heather, who is, in fact, a hard worker and successful in business.

But in reality, maybe she is a bit of a sad character herself.
    Last edited by cavendish; 08-21-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typos
    candor likes this.

That's Aviva's ex husband, Harry, that has slept with some of the other housewives, not Sonya's ex.

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    The thing I don't understand about Aviva is why she's so worried about whether someone (Heather, Lulu and Jacques) is being mean to someone other than herself. Sometimes, people are especially sensitive and upset by qualities that they have, when they see them in other people. So Aviva could be an example-- She really seems to have a mean streak, and get angry at other people easily, but she's rather good at masking it. Still, she gets especially worked up to the point of being mean if she can blame someone for something they did to someone else. Then, in her mind, she's defending the downtrodden, not being mean.

And then if she feels bad later about being mean, to justify the meanness, she keeps bringing whatever it is up, and repeating over and over that the other person did something bad-- as if to say-- it was ok that I was mean to you because you did something so awful to poor, benighted whomever-- whom I'm just trying to protect.

Then it becomes like a fixation, and every time she brings it up-- she has to bring it up again, to reinsist that what she did in being mean was, under the circumstances, correct.

Why she's been kowtowing to Ramona I don't know-- maybe, like with her husband Reid, she finds one protector, whom she clings to while she turns against the "bad" mean world-- I bet she experienced an awful lot of meanness about her disability as a kid and isn't as blase about her leg, underneath it all, as she acts.

As for Sonja's dog-- I don't have my own pets. But it was fascinating how she turned the tables on Aviva, when Aviva suddenly got all self-righteous about the charity event.

Still Sonja really loves this dog-- or at least feels a sense that losing him would be unbearable,-- and therefore you have to think how much emotional meaning the dog has to carry. It's kind of disturbing to watch how easily she comes unraveled these days-- and I guess is frightened for herself, and the straitened lifestyle she seems to be reduced to. Reduced circumstances are often really traumatic for people-- and the idea that her unfaithful husband who is still wealthy, is not only gone, but flagrantly seducing other women around her, while she is left without resources-- must be a really horrible thought. Sitting there while the other women laugh about sleeping with him must be awful. I really feel for her-- although I can't say I find her a truly sympathetic character. Despite her own bad business judgment with movie deals and whatever in the past, she still seems to feel entitled, and projects a phantasy that she's grand-- and can walk over someone like Heather, who is, in fact, a hard worker and successful in business.

But in reality, maybe she is a bit of a sad character herself.
    I'm beginning to see Aviva as having something broken in her psyche; she cannot seem to overcome it, and ends up defending others- like Ramona, who Aviva also may perceive as broken - to a ridiculous level. She does have issues, poor thing, it must be hard on her.

Saw on Twitter last night that Sonja's dog, Milleu, died. Must have been the sick dog from this week's episode. That dog was her baby and I'll bet she was heartbroken, I get that; but she could have been a little more reasonable in the conversation about Aviva's spinning class and legless children cause. Really, there are other ways to work things out - other than a careless "I can't come my dog is sick" and then a shouting match afterwards.

She could have had her most trusted servant "intern" stay with the dog for an hour- with the dog under a veterinarian's care; I mean really, was she planning to put the dog down on the spot when she actually knew resuming medication would in all likelihood at least temporarily alleviate the kidney/liver problem. They try to make these things complicated, anger-inducing, shouting matches. It's unnecessary and childish. I have dogs who are family members, and believe me I would never fail to monitor a dog's medication, I don't care who the task of administering is assigned to. One month with no meds, and Sonja didn't notice?
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

I had to ff through some of last night. Too annoying. You know what it reminds me of? Professional wrestling. The personalities are characters and they play a role. They have staged fights and get everybody excited. Fans root for their favorite. It's almost just like it. The fights are staged, but sometimes people really do get hurt. True with both.

Still, I keep trying to figure out what is it that makes these women want to do this on tv for the world to see. I can't figure it out. The money they pay may be needed for one or two of these ladies, but the others don't need it. And my goodness, how desperate for money must you be to do what these women do on televsion. ??????? I hope one day I will get a straight answer from them.

Hmm, well take that out of what I said about Sonja-- for sure!

I think the rest of it is probably still true. Losing her husband seems to have pretty well done Sonja in-- . Understandably-- and she does seem to be a pretty sad person at the moment.

thanks for the correction--

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I had to ff through some of last night. Too annoying. You know what it reminds me of? Professional wrestling. The personalities are characters and they play a role. They have staged fights and get everybody excited. Fans root for their favorite. It's almost just like it. The fights are staged, but sometimes people really do get hurt. True with both.

Still, I keep trying to figure out what is it that makes these women want to do this on tv for the world to see. I can't figure it out. The money they pay may be needed for one or two of these ladies, but the others don't need it. And my goodness, how desperate for money must you be to do what these women do on televsion. ??????? I hope one day I will get a straight answer from them.
    IMO, the well-to-do types do this show for the adventure of and/or to help their businesses. I think this is the case of all the NYC women with a few exceptions:

Sonja = earn some cash
    Ramona = grow her business
    LuAnne = launch a business/acting career?!?!
    Carole = move her writing career forward
    Heather = PR for her business and her son's condition
    Aviva = Get her out of the house for a bit + PR for amputees

I'd do it even if I didn't need the cash. I think it would be a hoot!

+ Reply to Thread