+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2166Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

FORT Fanatic

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    I'm kinda liking Carole's condescending attitute - mainly b/c she directs it at the most pompous castmates. She's getting to the countass big time, making her feel small and uncomfortable; much deserved. Go Carole. But be careful, we'll slam you big time when you direct your pseudosuperiority to someone who doesn't deserve it.
    Here's how I see her. I think Carole is more worried/aware about how SHE will be perceived by the viewers more than what people actually say that is not politically correct. I just don't like how Carole thinks she is the moral compass on this show. I say, ok, advertise your books and your upcoming show made from the book, and then go away after this season.
    norealityhere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    I have thought about the comments made by Luann and Carole and the discussion here. While I don't like rudeness much, I also believe that when someone make a racially charged comment about a group, we should all stand up and call them out. I don't and won't let slurs of any kind be said when I am in the room and not call out the person that makes them. It looked to me like Luann is so insensitive that she doesn't realize she is making slurs. I also loved Carole explanation on her blog, right on point. .
    I guess I'm missing something here. I didn't see any "racially charged" comments....Luann certainly was crude and crass but what was racial about it?
    She did make a stupid comment about "scalping" but there is evidence that scalping actually occurred as far back as 440BC and common in a lot of European cultures, and with Native Americans.
    It's part of history...albeit rather unsavory.
    But why is that considered a racial slur?
    Native Americans and/or Indigenous People were once called Indians...it's not illegal or unkind to use that name..it's just inaccurate and no longer considered the proper word to use.
    And if anyone could call themselves an Indian, I think those of that blood line surely can.
    I understand that in today's society of political correctness, certain words are not considered to be proper but I'd really be interested in being shown the "slur" here.
    I'm really not trying to be antagonistic here nor am I challenging anyone....just really interested in what I'm missing that everyone else sees.
    norealityhere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I guess I'm missing something here. I didn't see any "racially charged" comments....Luann certainly was crude and crass but what was racial about it?
    She did make a stupid comment about "scalping" but there is evidence that scalping actually occurred as far back as 440BC and common in a lot of European cultures, and with Native Americans.
    It's part of history...albeit rather unsavory.
    But why is that considered a racial slur?
    Native Americans and/or Indigenous People were once called Indians...it's not illegal or unkind to use that name..it's just inaccurate and no longer considered the proper word to use.
    And if anyone could call themselves an Indian, I think those of that blood line surely can.
    I understand that in today's society of political correctness, certain words are not considered to be proper but I'd really be interested in being shown the "slur" here.
    I'm really not trying to be antagonistic here nor am I challenging anyone....just really interested in what I'm missing that everyone else sees.
    And 200 years ago it was perfectly acceptable to refer to slaves imported from Africa as N******. Does that mean it is OK to refer to African Americans with that word now?

How is the implication that Native Americans are running around scalping people not racist?
    Punkin and buttahfly like this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    I can't agree that when a lawyer helps a friend out with legal advice, they become a client. They're a friend whom you're helping out with a little free off the top of your head expert reasoning.
    I'm a lawyer and I can tell you, it IS TRUE that when you help someone out for free, you are still held to all the standards that you would be held to if the person was a paying client. I found this out the HARD WAY when I responded to requests for free legal advice!!! And although I actually gave these people the 'right answers' -- they sued me because their situation didn't work out - for totally unrelated reasons. It was a nightmare!! Don't ask!!! PS, they finally dropped the suit when they came to their senses, but they put me through 2 years of hell that cost me a lot of money, and worry, and aggravation!

Unlike lawyers, doctors who help patients for free (after an accident, for example), are called Good Samaritans, and most states have "Good Samaritan laws" in place so that if the doctor does something the "patient" doesn't like, he/she cannot be sued for it. There's no such protection in place for lawyers who help people out for free --
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 08-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    What did everyone think of Mario's comments to Jacques?!!
    Seems to me like Mario is getting tired of living life in Ramona's shadow!!
    Aviva's husband, Reid, appears to be such a nice, gentle soul. He looked like he was getting ready to crawl under the nearest tablecloth. Seemed like he was saying to himself, "this cannot be happening at Le Cirque!!"
    I liked that he was supportive of his wive...even thought it might have been that he was posses because of his financial stake in Ramona Pino.

I could see them getting rid of Luanne and keeping Ramona. I do not think Sonja has much going on. So I think they could get rid of SonJa only for that reason.
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    And 200 years ago it was perfectly acceptable to refer to slaves imported from Africa as N******. Does that mean it is OK to refer to African Americans with that word now?

How is the implication that Native Americans are running around scalping people not racist?
    I really wanted to reply to this and not in an argumentative way at all but just as a discussion...
    but got the feeling we'd be reprimanded for going off topic and possibly having the thread closed and I'm enjoying RHNY too much lately and wouldn't want to lose this thread.
    mayamaisha, Imperfect1 and Coco46 like this.

Lianna's is Indian. She does not see it as undesirable. She is calling herself that. So I do not see a problem.

If someone is calling someone else something that could be interpreted as undesirable that is ugly.
    You can do it!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Here's one thing I'm fascinated by --- LuAnne is going on and on about how she wants to have a baby with Jacques, but I haven't once heard her say that she wants to get MARRIED to Jacques. Being the self-proclaimed queen of class and good etiquette, wouldn't one think that she, of all people, would want to get married first, and then have a child.
    Punkin and OceanView like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Seems like people from India should be called 'Indians', where as people from the US should be called Native Americans....to easily differentiate which continents we are talking about. It beats 'Asian Indians' and 'American Indians' all day long.

Simplicity, and everybody gets their respect!
    Punkin, GabbyG and tears.and.rain like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I google Jacques. He is a wine distributor and has some sort of wine marketing company. It would not behoove him to get wine people mad at him.

Maybe it is Luanne's peri menopause speaking. Or perhaps she just loves Jacques. Or she is repeating the past. Maybe she got pregnant before she married the count.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread