+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2467Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    And as far as Heather claiming that she is just helping Sonja out and that Sonja is NOT a client? Please. As an attorney, when you assist friends or family with answering questions, looking into a legal matter, etc. for free, they becomse CLIENTS, no matter that you don't get paid. The same standard of care is required. I'm surprised Heather doesn't look at it that way with her profession. The more I see her in a business setting, the more I am unimpressed and confused. This woman is successful in her area of business in NYC??? Shocking to me. She doesn't seem that bright and does not have a winning personality. I don't get it. I think this show could actually hurt her career.
    As a lawyer, let me say that this could honestly go either way. It all actually comes down to whether the client thinks they are a client. Weird I know - but with regard to ethical obligations and attorney/client privilege, many of courts seem to come down on the side of the "clients". I used to answer basic questions for friends and family before. I don't do it anymore, unless it is "do you think I have a case" or "do you think I should see a lawyer" type questions. I had one family member in particular who refused to hire a lawyer (believe me, they could afford it) and looked at me as her personal lawyer service. I bill out at over $400 an hour, and I finally told her that if she wanted me to be her lawyer, I would be happy to set up an account for her. I am also very careful when someone asks me something that I am only giving my opinion as their friend, that I have done no research and that if they are really concerned, they should hire an attorney, provide them all the facts and allow them to research and get some advice. People, intentionally or not, don't tend to give you all the facts in casual conversation. There's always that one fact, that they of course omit from telling you, that completely changes your answer. So I have learned to be very clear and very careful.
    Punkin, prhoshay and sparklete like this.

I wouldn't demand professional-level commitment if I weren't paying for it. That seems the height of rudeness. I work around doctors all day and I don't even ask them any personal medical questions.

I'm a professional writer and editor, and friends often ask me for favors. Like KatesMom, I used to oblige until one friend asked me to edit multiple versions of her book manuscript for free. When the book was published she sent me a email explaining where I could buy it. Now I suggest that friends hire a freelance editor.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

People seem to get some perverse pleasure out of trying to get something for nothing and, like KM points out, you don't usually get the whole story...don't really want it... which can have a lot to do with the answer that you give. It can be like Catch 22.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I wouldn't demand professional-level commitment if I weren't paying for it. That seems the height of rudeness. I work around doctors all day and I don't even ask them any personal medical questions.

I'm a professional writer and editor, and friends often ask me for favors. Like KatesMom, I used to oblige until one friend asked me to edit multiple versions of her book manuscript for free. When the book was published she sent me a email explaining where I could buy it. Now I suggest that friends hire a freelance editor.
    The "friend" should have given you a copy as a souvenier.

You do not want to deprive freelance writers the opportunity of making money any way.

Unless it is your mom or your husband, I would not volunteer my time editing stuff.
    Last edited by Lizard; 08-10-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    You can do it!

Ok, the scalp 'm up, woo woo woo, redskin Indian thing coming out of the countass' mouth was crass. And, no, she doesn't get a pass for being "part" American Indian. IMHO, her comments were akin to African American rapsters who screech f'ing N in their x-rated trash recordings. The countass is a crude one for sure. And she was only "surprised" not disturbed by the filthy "music" at the party. There's a time and place for everything, and gritty swearing can be humorous; but at a Christmas party where the women are all dressed up singing lovely little carols... wow, crass, crude, filthy countass.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

My husband who is native, was very offended. He said she may have some native blood in her, but it is probably very distant. The whole thing struck me as being planned ahead by Luann and Jacque. I re-watched it from the start, and she gave him a very telling look. Like-oh yes Jacque lets do this! Probably keeping her storyline fresh.
    Punkin likes this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

FORT Fogey

I think the problem is that LuAnn may be part Native American but she has no connection to that culture. Rappers, being an actual part of the African American culture, can reclaim the "n-word" if they want. But I, as an outsider in that culture, cannot change the way African American's relate to that word, nor should I try. LuAnn, for all her "native american blood" is not culturally native american, and she should be respectful.

I think Heather is trying desperately to fill the part of New York businesswoman and failing.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

LuLu: YOU CAN'T SING!! Please stop trying!
    Punkin, Prism, Coco46 and 1 others like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Lulu is lulu That wasn't very funny but I am just not feeling well. She is nutty
    Prism likes this.
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

Luann is who she is.
    I'm not giving her a pass, but I do think Carole's sanctimonius "3rd graders..." was just over the top!! If somebody made a comment like that to me, I think I'd have to swat her.
    Prism and OceanView like this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread