+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2630Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Punkin, yes, it should be a big deal....especially when you're older and dating. At Carole's age, political affiliation is most likely something you've given a lot of thought to and sincere in your beliefs. Could really cause problems later on if not in agreement.
    And you're right....I'm on the "other" side and I'd sure ask it!
    Lizard likes this.

FORT Fan

Hundreds of pilots are made each season with only a very few actually being picked up and even fewer making it past cancellation. Day to day wine sales in one of the largest retailers in the world -- that's a truly big deal financially.
    Trust Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    DH and I just watched RHoNY that we DVRed last night. When we saw the 'first date' Carol had with a very nice guy (tho she wisely found him way too young for her comfort zone, and he became a research subject LOL) during the coures of their conversation she said, " You're not a Republican, are you?" DH and I ROLF because on our first date one of my first questions was, "Are you a Democrat?" He said, "Of course!" And the rest is lovey dovey history.

For many people politics is just nothing they think of or care about. For me (and apparently Carol) politics is a very important issue in my life. In my household fan base, Carol just leapfrogged above the rest of them! Not only that, but her DR comments are smart and insightful and she does not play off of formal royal connections for prestige as she seems confident in herself (as compared to another HW who seems to desperetly lean on a title earned by catching some guy who did nothing to earn his supposed prestige.)

I am not making any dispersions on any other political ideaology, 'cause you guys on the other side would ask first, "You aren't a Democrat are you?"
    Come on, you know you would. :>)
    I have not seen the episode yet. You are right. On the John Tesh show they said that there was a study on what factor was most important for long lived relationships. And political affiliation was the most important factor strangely enough.

Communication barriers I guess are the biggest factor. It is just easier if you have similar beliefs; because there are going to be plenty (PLENTY) of other things you can misunderstand.

Loving Carol so far
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    DH and I just watched RHoNY that we DVRed last night. When we saw the 'first date' Carol had with a very nice guy (tho she wisely found him way too young for her comfort zone, and he became a research subject LOL) during the coures of their conversation she said, " You're not a Republican, are you?" DH and I ROLF because on our first date one of my first questions was, "Are you a Democrat?" He said, "Of course!" And the rest is lovey dovey history.

For many people politics is just nothing they think of or care about. For me (and apparently Carol) politics is a very important issue in my life. In my household fan base, Carol just leapfrogged above the rest of them! Not only that, but her DR comments are smart and insightful and she does not play off of formal royal connections for prestige as she seems confident in herself (as compared to another HW who seems to desperetly lean on a title earned by catching some guy who did nothing to earn his supposed prestige.)

I am not making any dispersions on any other political ideaology, 'cause you guys on the other side would ask first, "You aren't a Democrat are you?"
    Come on, you know you would. :>)
    Well, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Carole the one who is somehow related to the Kennedy's (or Jackie O or something)? So it's a bit more than politics just being important - aren't they the Democratic royalty of our country? I'm still amazed Arnold ran as a Republican being married to Maria Shriver. That divorce was destined!
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

Carole's husband was the son of Jackie's sister. While he Kennedy family has many people in politics, I don't think that distant its mandatory to be political for the family. I think politics matters in terms of being an indicator of values. But if two people have similar values and vote differently, who cares?

I ultimately don't mind Carole because she's obviously a talented and accomplished woman. But imo she's the biggest snob in the entire housewife franchise, with her cool, noblesse oblige way of saying that's she doesn't care about being a princess-- she most definitely thinks she's too good to care about social status and rank-- too imbued with them-- and in fact too truly superior to bother with all that. I also find her rather cold.

To be honest, to me, the countess is unsnobbish enough to believe countesses are entitled to put on airs-- and rather proud to be one-- You might find her snobbish, with her talk of class etc-- but in fact, she's impressed with nobility in the way that a true elitist, like Carole, wouldn't deign to be.

Luanne may be an inept or perhaps a careless mother, but really she's not a bad sort-- despite her foibles.

Even though the Countess is obnoxious in many ways...her dedication to "proper ways" is refreshing, compared to how much America has become the Land of the Slobs.
    She takes it way too far, doesn't always practice what she preaches but I would like to see better manners, comportment and dressing accordingly come back.
    Now I probably sound snobbish.
    Also, I thought that Arnold and Maria hadn't actually divorced yet. I read she keeps going back and forth about it. I read he wants to stay together but she definitely has reasons to divorce the cad but I think she still has feelings for him. Tough call for anyone to make, esp with kids...no matter how old they are, kids (mostly)want their parents together.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 07-06-2012 at 03:33 AM.
    prhoshay, Jexter, Lizard and 1 others like this.

Maria has had a tough year. I wonder if she is repeating some cycle.
    You can do it!

could someone explain Carole's royalty connection to me? Is she really a Princess?

FORT Fogey

Yes she is. Her deceased husband's father was a Polish prince. (his mother was Jacqueline Kennedy's sister). As the son of a prince, Anthony was a prince. So through marriage, Carole was a princess. She has about as much connection to royal power as LuAnn, and truly her ties to John and Caroline Kennedy are probably more impressive. But technically she is a princess

+ Reply to Thread