+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2630Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Ross Geller
    Yes! You nailed it Snow Bunny!! I laughed out loud at your post. Good one, good one....
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I thought the prospective interns were actors who were hired to go in and be the butt of Ramona's insults. Maybe not, because she IMO she made a fool of herself in her acceptance speech for successful, business women when she was honored at that dinner. She went on and on of how wonderful, smart, dedicated, etc. that she was and that's why she is so great today. NO REAL successful person does that. IT's just too bizarre. They would be laughed at, talked about and scorned in the real business world IMO.
    Although I agree the delivery was flawed, I thought the message was clear. She was told she couldn't do it and through hard work, perseverance and dedication on her part she was able to acheive her goal of being a financially, independent business woman. The only way you can acheive your goals in life is by being smart, dedicated and wonderful at what you are doing. If you don't tout your accomplishments in the business world, you can often go unnoticed. Real, successful people know this. It's very apparent one of her strengths is NOT public speeaking though!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by maryhse View Post
    Although I agree the delivery was flawed, I thought the message was clear. She was told she couldn't do it and through hard work, perseverance and dedication on her part she was able to acheive her goal of being a financially, independent business woman. The only way you can acheive your goals in life is by being smart, dedicated and wonderful at what you are doing. If you don't tout your accomplishments in the business world, you can often go unnoticed. Real, successful people know this. It's very apparent one of her strengths is NOT public speeaking though!
    Totally agree, maryhse! If you've ever read business-people's resumes, you'd see that most people tout their accomplishments A LOT!!! And Ramona may be a nut-case in her personal life, but she is apparently very good at what she does in her business life, and is very successful at it. Good for her!

(REF. Ramona) I think there is a difference between marketing yourself to clients and hamming it up with colleagues. IMA when you are at a professional setting with your peers and then you praise yourself in the manner she did, is just bizarre.

I have been a licensed professional for 20 years and have attended hundreds of events to honor people from the govenor, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, judges, law professors, attorneys who are retiring after 50 years of practice, doctors, dentists, real estate professionals, etc. and I have never heard ANY of them brag on themself. NEVER. THey brag on others who helped them and who befriended them over the years. The talk about the hard times and how fortunate they were to have people support them, but they don't pat themself on the back. You can inspire others and encourage them to keep deligent and work hard without making it all about how great you are. I don't think Ramona gets that. Of couse, if she's sucessful, good for her.

Perhaps Ramona is following in the path of The Donald. Now it does sound like something he would do. LOL
    Last edited by Debb70; 05-04-2011 at 01:14 PM.

I agree there is a line between marketing yourself/your business & joking with close friends. The difference is most of us aren't being filmed for national TV. I can honestly state that I have had customers who have made me INSANE but you will never hear me utter one word about them to anyone. People who you know might know people you don't know who know that person who is driving you crazy. If you want to be successful you need to superglue your lips SHUT!
    I for one would not wish to do business with Ramona. Party with her sure...business NOPE!

(REF. Ramona) I think there is a difference between marketing yourself to clients and hamming it up with colleagues. IMA when you are at a professional setting with your peers and then you praise yourself in the manner she did, is just bizarre.

I have been a licensed professional for 20 years and have attended hundreds of events to honor people from the govenor, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, judges, law professors, attorneys who are retiring after 50 years of practice, doctors, dentists, real estate professionals, etc. and I have never heard ANY of them brag on themself. NEVER. THey brag on others who helped them and who befriended them over the years. The talk about the hard times and how fortunate they were to have people support them, but they don't pat themself on the back. You can inspire others and encourage them to keep deligent and work hard without making it all about how great you are. I don't think Ramona gets that. Of couse, if she's sucessful, good for her.

Perhaps Ramona is following in the path of The Donald. Now it does sound like something he would do. LOL
    I'm surprised that you've never heard it, because I have frequently. In fact in my experience many successful people have HUGE egos and just can't seem to keep from touting themselves and their accomplishments and saying I, me, my, mine a lot in their speeches. Perhaps those you've heard have had PR people or people who've helped them write their speeches to help keep this tendency in check? Even with that I find a lot of those I've listened to can't seem to keep from making sure everyone knows what they view as their strengths and taking credit for their success.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    I'm surprised that you've never heard it, because I have frequently. In fact in my experience many successful people have HUGE egos and just can't seem to keep from touting themselves and their accomplishments and saying I, me, my, mine a lot in their speeches. Perhaps those you've heard have had PR people or people who've helped them write their speeches to help keep this tendency in check? Even with that I find a lot of those I've listened to can't seem to keep from making sure everyone knows what they view as their strengths and taking credit for their success.
    Wow, that's amazing. I guess I have been fortunate to have seen so many humble, grateful, successful people in their acceptance speeches. If I had been with my friends and heard what Ramona said about herself. We would have probably thought it was a joke, then laughed, and then left. LOL

Oh yeah, was she seriously saying she was working towards her two year degree? Nothing wrong with a two year degree, some people have none, but I find it a rather odd thing to brag on when many people have 4 year degrees, master's and doctorates. Just saying....LOL

You know...now that it was mentioned...I can say, with all honesty, I have had people look down upon me because I have an associates degree & not my BA. It is their issue & not mine. I have picked up more knowledge on the job than I would have sitting in a class.
    I would consider myself successful & that is the only approval I need.

Wow, that's amazing. I guess I have been fortunate to have seen so many humble, grateful, successful people in their acceptance speeches. If I had been with my friends and heard what Ramona said about herself. We would have probably thought it was a joke, then laughed, and then left. LOL

Oh yeah, was she seriously saying she was working towards her two year degree? Nothing wrong with a two year degree, some people have none, but I find it a rather odd thing to brag on when many people have 4 year degrees, master's and doctorates. Just saying....LOL
    I will actually say I have seen it both ways. My two cents, FWIW. Men tend to poof themselves up a lot more than women do. Men tend to over-value themselves, while women tend to undervalue themselves. Maybe that's why it seems strange to see a woman do it. I personally do not have problems with it. In fact, the speeches from women I enjoy the most are the ones that basically say "everyone told me I couldn't do it, but I refused to give up and I believed in myself when no one else did, and look what I have accomplished." I think those stories are hugely motivating, especially as a woman in a man's profession - to get that sometimes you have to trust and believe in yourself, even when no one else does. And yes, it is great to support and acknowledge the ones who have helped you get there. But let's be honest, sometimes as women that list is very small and really the only people who supported us were our family and loved ones. So while I do think Ramona may have gone a bit far, I have to disagree about not tooting your own horn once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    You know...now that it was mentioned...I can say, with all honesty, I have had people look down upon me because I have an associates degree & not my BA. It is their issue & not mine. I have picked up more knowledge on the job than I would have sitting in a class.
    I would consider myself successful & that is the only approval I need.
    That's too bad. Degrees don't make you better or worse than anyone else. Some things you can't learn in a classroom. It's good you are self-confident to not let ignorance on their part bother you.

+ Reply to Thread