+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2075Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Maybe Bravo has made the mistake of thinking that viewers only want to see the over the top drama and hostility in these shows because of the favorable response to incidents in earlier seasons (table tossing, etc).
    But that's wrong. We want to see their regular lives ( which are not all that "regular" to us) which will naturally include some drama/strife but not a constant diet of it.
    We want the good times and the bad.

I'm not sure if it's this change in the format or we've just become over-saturated with Housewives but I just don't have the same amount of interest in any of these women like I used to.

'Alex was wearing some s&m dress - I would have kicked her out just for the dress' - LuAnne
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Maybe Bravo has made the mistake of thinking that viewers only want to see the over the top drama and hostility in these shows because of the favorable response to incidents in earlier seasons (table tossing, etc).
    But that's wrong. We want to see their regular lives ( which are not all that "regular" to us) which will naturally include some drama/strife but not a constant diet of it.
    We want the good times and the bad.
    Absolutely. The success of Bethenny's show (and Sister Wives) are prime examples that you don't need conflict to hold an audience. You do need interesting people, which is why RHO Miami was such a bust. Of course the RHO Orange County's popularity is still a mystery.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by onmycell View Post
    I must be in the minority. I usually hate Jill and Luann and Kelly, but last night, I couldn't stand Alex and found the others tolerable. Although I agree that when Kelly is the voice of reason, we are all in for a long season. And no comment on the "portrait"? It was hideous. I am not saying he's a bad artist, but not a very good rendition.
    In defense of the artist, his subject ain't no beauty! She's got a style and puts herself together well but that face.....yikes. Yes, yes, yes, I know, some people have a unique beauty and (maybe?) I'll give her that (maybe?) but I think that the painting looked just like her (possibly a tad better because it was a little "soft focus" & much smaller that her,lol")!

FORT Fogey

If I may I will impose on your kindness enough to post a recap later but I would like to say I found Simon's speech very moving as the "Simon and Alexander" situation is exactly mine - my husband (yes, we are married by a state like everyone else) and I have been waiting for years for him to get a green card through the employer we were lucky enough to find for him. It's been 11 years and thousands of dollars in legal fees just because the federal government won't recognize our marriage and therefore we have no access to a fiance visa like he did. It's very heartening that he and Alex, without really having to, can empathize with our situation and didn't make the MENY march all about 'getting down and dirty with our gay friends.' That was such an insulting and dismissive comment, as was LaCountlessa's comment about Alex's advocacy being like an infomercial. In one self-congratulatory statement LaCountlessa managed to show her underlying indifference to anyone other than herself and what she terms a 'good time.' I found the attitude displayed by the waitress, the Countless and the Beensomeone to be repugnant.

Off my soapbox and more to come. But I just had to get that off my chest. Good on ya, Alex and Simon.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic View Post
    In defense of the artist, his subject ain't no beauty! She's got a style and puts herself together well but that face.....yikes. Yes, yes, yes, I know, some people have a unique beauty and (maybe?) I'll give her that (maybe?) but I think that the painting looked just like her (possibly a tad better because it was a little "soft focus" & much smaller that her,lol")!
    In further defense of the artist most of his art is very disturbing; sad children in threatening environments, people who are being psychologically tortured by unseen forces; that sort of thing. (Maybe he was just right for painting a picture of the Wasted Waitress!) He puts it down to his childhood with a drunk abusive dad. He apparently was rescued from all that by noted whack-job Dr. Keith Ablow, who recently opined that the appearance in a J. Crew ad of a young boy having his toenails painted neon pink would lead to the collapse of the republic and rampant Lesbianism.

In other words, one shouldn't expect too much when Brian Farrell paints a picture of the Wasted Waitress.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    'Alex was wearing some s&m dress - I would have kicked her out just for the dress' - LuAnne
    I didn't mind the dress. I wonder if Bethenny's party was the same night as she wore that dress to her birthday party. LuAnne shouldn't comment on anyone's fashion when she's wearing hideous metal sculptures around her neck.

These shows not only seem to be scripted -- they literally seem to insist the woman compete for attention-- ie camera time-- under the threat of not having their contracts renewed. It's become clear what the producers want-- even if they aren't precisely spoonfeeding the housewives scenarios. Not that they aren't doing that too.

The producers hire ever more cosmetically enhanced, narcissistic and bizarre or silly people, put them in front of a camera and wait for them to start having hissy fits and calling one another out. But the people themselves... you can't substitute mega boobs and a botoxed forehead for an actual personality and an interesting life.

It's such a shame, because at one point these programs were at least somewhat entertaining, even if they were mindless. Sadly, they've become unwatchable.

Cavendish

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm View Post
    He apparently was rescued from all that by noted whack-job Dr. Keith Ablow, who recently opined that the appearance in a J. Crew ad of a young boy having his toenails painted neon pink would lead to the collapse of the republic and rampant Lesbianism.
    I heard that interview. I can't believe that guy is in the mental health field, presuming that's what his Ph.D. is for.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Sorry to hear Jill is gonna be on TV yet again....I've never heard of the show "White Collar" .... UGH...I just can not STAND that vulgar woman Jill Zarin...never could from the beginning......... I wish she would just GO AWAY!!!!

GO AWAY JILL ZARIN...GO FAR AWAY.....GO TO BAWBIE...AND STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM MY TV SCREEN!!!!

She made such a fool of herself on Watch What Happens wearing that ridiculous outfit and that hair!!! OMG...no offense but Jill, my dear youre too old and your nose is too big to have pulled that off...nice try..........NOT!!!

+ Reply to Thread