+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2228Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

FORT Fanatic

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

My mother told me that females at a wedding should not wear white unless they are the bride. She was 90 years old when she died! She was also taught not to wear white shoes before Memorial Day.

As long as a female guest doesn't wear something so bride-like that strangers mistake her for the bride, I don't see it as a problem.

Jill Zarin is a mean, hateful woman, and seeing her exposed for lying was hilarious; I'm going to watch it again. There are times when you are wrong and you have to take your lumps. The more she lied, the worse she looked. Remember last year when she used Amazon.com to post positive reviews of her book under another name, when it was getting mixed reviews? Her attempts to defend herself were stupid.

FORT Fogey

I read an article recently about fashion rules that are outdated. It had things like how you no longer have to only wear white after Memorial Day and before Labor day, that you can now wear black to a wedding, etc. But the article specifically mentioned wearing white to a wedding as one rule that has not and should not expired. It said that wearing white or anything close to it appeared to be competing with the bride, and no one should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I read an article recently about fashion rules that are outdated. It had things like how you no longer have to only wear white after Memorial Day and before Labor day, that you can now wear black to a wedding, etc. But the article specifically mentioned wearing white to a wedding as one rule that has not and should not expired. It said that wearing white or anything close to it appeared to be competing with the bride, and no one should do that.
    Who makes up these rules????? I think they are all just silly. Wear what you want.
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

i don't think they showed the bride being "uneasy" unless i missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants View Post
    Lol, ok. And I always assumed that the bride and groom were just happy to share their day with their friends and family, and weren't the least bit concerned as to what their guests were wearing. I guess I didn't watch the episode closely enough, because it didn't appear (to me) that the bride was "uneasy" with Ramona and Alex's color choices.

FORT Newbie

Watching a repeat show from 2008. I think this season was more of their real personalities - before they all (in their eyes) were celebrities.

Alex was on vacation and she just wanted to relax and not have to look around to see if there was someone around that she needed to impress.

Jill didn't get invited to Ramona's cooking party and didn't know why.

And lastly, Luanne mocked what Ramona was wearing to the Hampton Classic - or Hampton Open or whatever it was called.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by miry View Post
    If wearing white/off-white/cream, etc is becoming a passing tradition, then I think it's best advised that people should observe the rules until it absolutely dead and gone. I don't think it's too much to ask that guests wear a different color. Aren't you there because you're happy for the bride and groom? Why would you want to cause your hosts to feel uneasy.
    This may be OT but why, other than from a sense of entitlement, would they be uneasy? Surely ettiquette or good manners is about things that one doesn't do, not things that one demands others not do. I find it fascinating that people (like Jill) find it proper to leap in to high insult and take massive umbrage when somebody violates some unwritten rule. Manners are about one's duty, not what one is due, don't you think?

Jill and her companions (fellow travelling Hags more like) showed that they don't just have 'bad manners,' they really have no idea what good manners are.

Here's a hint: The moment you complain about somebody else's manners, you've shown yours worse.

I think that since weddings are the last 'grand' occasion that really the average person will ever have access to, 'proper ettiqutte' surrounding them has become (a) fossilized, (b) a source of much anxiety and (c) sadly, a golden opportunity for people to feel justified in sniping at others...and in many instances, for one particular person to feel justified in behaving like entitled brats on center stage.

How many women turn from being merely averagely objectionable to being shrieking horrible pampered tyrants because somebody's once told them that the day is 'their special day' (the groom being there on suffance and the guests only as a supporting chorus, one can only conclude)? Too often they confuse that slightly erroneous and overreaching description of their wedding as license to be as demanding, impetuous, condescending, vile, impertinent, fussy, dictatorial, hard to please, and tiresome as they can imagine themselves being.

Their role really is closer to chattle before the reception (meekly led in by one man, handed over to another, with a quick, perfunctory check as to her consent, the deal sealed with an exchange of a portable consumer item); and hostess at it. We've larded it over with all sorts of concepts of romantic love but at heart it remains a sale of a daughter by a father to another man, and then a big display of wealth on the part of the bride's family.

I saw Bethenny at her wedding and her querulousness, I can only imagine what Jill or (God forfend) LaContessa were like on theirs, hopped up on an unreasonable self-importance and on the look-out for any slight, real or conjured up, at which to take implacable offense.

If all it takes is seeing somebody in a dress of a similar hue to one's own, even if of an utterly different nature, to make a bride uneasy, heaven only knows what kind of life one would have with her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Yeah, what's JillZarin got to be uppity about anyway? Her attempt at snobbery comes off as juvenile, what with her trying so hard to be superior and failing so miserably. Her own reach surely exceeds her grasp.
    She always falls back on that - it's a sign of her own gnawing insecurity. Ever since she moved in from the suburbs to marry Bobby and his big shmatte shop, she's been desperate to fit in with her "fabulous crowd of people." But it's her who is not quite one of 'their set' and the knowledge of that gnaws at her, grates at her, tears at her day after day, making her despise and hate anyone who reminds her of her very own truth. Anyone like Alex who lives in Brooklyn (just down the road from her very own Valley Stream, both on Long Island) and not the UES.

Remember the time at Alex's house when she made a really snotty comment about the original features that Alex was hoping to find and restore? That was utterly horrible, demeaning, condescending, and so impertinent. It showed the grasping appraising nature she can't quite hide, the utterly tradesman like way she really sees the world, the price tags and valuations she puts on everything.

Remember the hideous pair of unmatched, likely cast-down pillows she sent along to Alex and Simon's (bizarre) living room? Again, something wholesale, never mind that it doesn't look right, never mind that I really didn't give it a moment's thought, it's good enough for you.

The nasty comments about Alex's children, their behaviour, their parents' dependency on Jill for a good school, and Jill's real sense of injury when they didn't wind up going where she pointed them. If only the lower classes were properly grateful.

Poor Jill. No matter how far she runs from it, the sense of never being quite good enough eats her heart out, won't let her go, like a yellow badge of inferiority that she can't just rip off. All she has left of her heritage is some scraps of sadness, some remnants of learning. Unlike her sister, he's ditched her community, the grandeur of its learning and studying, its piety and its goodness, she's chucked it all aside, or so she thinks, but still her hands are empty and she grasps and clutches at whatever scraps of belonging that the others throw at her in the hopes of replacing what she's let go of.

Poor Jill. She's quite without a place to belong.

AngloAm: Brava! You are right on the mark and could not have been said in any better terms. I also agree with the poster who said earlier that she was watching the first season, when everyone was being more of themselves. It was much easier to stomach them in 2008. One thing that actually makes me LOL every time I think of it, church, work, grocery shopping, etc. is when Jill donned that staking outfit and took to the ice. What makes it even funnier is watching Bethany practicing for Skating with the Stars and really pulling it off. I know Jill must be s--ting ice cubes watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm View Post
    How many women turn from being merely averagely objectionable to being shrieking horrible pampered tyrants because somebody's once told them that the day is 'their special day' (the groom being there on suffance and the guests only as a supporting chorus, one can only conclude)? Too often they confuse that slightly erroneous and overreaching description of their wedding as license to be as demanding, impetuous, condescending, vile, impertinent, fussy, dictatorial, hard to please, and tiresome as they can imagine themselves being.

when the next season starts, you so need to start watching Bridezillas on WE

Oh my! I'm watching last season's reunion and listening to Kelly explain systematic bullying.......This is still SO bizarre to me; I don't understand why they let her come back. There is clearly something wrong with her. I don't care to see or hear of her again. That whole situation with her was just "creepy".

+ Reply to Thread