+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2187Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

For me too, the catfights and mean girls antics were a huge negative factor on all on all of the RH franchises. I'll still watch them all (except Atlanta) but just like so many of you guys, I wish the shows could be more high brow --- or at least more friendly!!! I also think that OC was fine until Laurie + Jeanna left and Tamra joined the cast. That combination ruined the show for me. And on NY I still enjoy all of the cast but cannot stand Kelly -- and I will miss Bethenny terribly. I grew to really enjoy the NJ cast --- except for Danielle and the mean spirited drama that alway surrounded her. And DC was great --- I didn't mind the Salahis because they were fun to watch, even though they were terribily misguided --- but at least they weren't 'evil' like Tamra and Danielle. I thought BH was the least interesting of all of them --- but it was okay, but again, would've been better without the catfights.

The thing that really makes me sad is that most of America doesn't agree with me and wants MORE CATFIGHTS not less. They LOVE the negative mean spirited drama and aren't interested in watching the shows without it. Isn't that a sad commentary on who we've all become. It's like - there's not enough violence and depravity in this world that we have to seek out more of it as entertainment? I just don't get that. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;4191198;
    The thing that really makes me sad is that most of America doesn't agree with me and wants MORE CATFIGHTS not less. They LOVE the negative mean spirited drama and aren't interested in watching the shows without it. Isn't that a sad commentary on who we've all become. It's like - there's not enough violence and depravity in this world that we have to seek out more of it as entertainment? I just don't get that. . .
    Totally agree with your post. Made me think about chocolate cake (I just frosted one). Chocolate cake is yummy, and we have it once in a while. But just because we love it doesn't mean we should have it every day and keep making the slices bigger and bigger...then we might actually get bored with it, even sick of it. So, there ya go: RHW is like chocolate cake!

Does that make sense, or do I need another cup of coffee?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Yes. Chocolate cake, yes. I'd love to see the RHs doing some really fun stuff in New York; such as places to shop- not just a 3-second flash, quirky museums, fashion designer fittings, maybe a tour through the rag district to see how it's done, fun things to do with kids in the city, theater and opera nights, an inside look at Zarin's and Ramona's businesses, parties in the Hamptons, high style fundraisers without arguments, more detail about LuLu's recording studio life. They must have interesting lives aside from catfights. Um, don't they?
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4191219;
    Totally agree with your post. Made me think about chocolate cake (I just frosted one). Chocolate cake is yummy, and we have it once in a while. But just because we love it doesn't mean we should have it every day and keep making the slices bigger and bigger...then we might actually get bored with it, even sick of it. So, there ya go: RHW is like chocolate cake!

Does that make sense, or do I need another cup of coffee?
    Me, too.
    I'm ok with a cat fight thrown in now and then because that's life. I'd like to see more of what they do in their lives. Isn't the point of these shows?.... to give us a peek at life that's different from our own regular lives?
    That's the aspect I like most: being a fly on the wall, observing people doing things that I'd never do in RL. I enjoy seeing them visit fashion designers, trying on fab clothes, going to fancy chairty events, staying in trendy upscale hotels/spas, etc.
    But I don't need anger, jealousy, meaness every show to keep me watching. In fact, it makes me want to watch less rather than more.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady;4192153;
    Me, too.
    I'm ok with a cat fight thrown in now and then because that's life. I'd like to see more of what they do in their lives. Isn't the point of these shows?.... to give us a peek at life that's different from our own regular lives?
    That's the aspect I like most: being a fly on the wall, observing people doing things that I'd never do in RL. I enjoy seeing them visit fashion designers, trying on fab clothes, going to fancy chairty events, staying in trendy upscale hotels/spas, etc.
    But I don't need anger, jealousy, meaness every show to keep me watching. In fact, it makes me want to watch less rather than more.
    That's what I thought the shows were going to be about -- getting to see the real lives of the real housewives. And that's what I was looking forward to and enjoy the most. I don't like disagreements between people in real life or on tv --- I'd rather watch the fun stuff -- although I don't mind drama. But drama doesn't have to be mean spirited! There's a difference!

I remember after they aired the finale, Sarah Jessica Parker was on Andy's after show.
    She said she'd been a fan, but did find it disturbing and not at all fun, to see someone break down on camera - Kelly.
    I agree with her.
    While I still continue to watch some of the HW shows, I think it's obvious that they are taking them in the direction of televised trainwrecks. It's a disturbing trend.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Kelly is my least favorite House Wife in the whole franchise. Honestly, I can't stand her. She's boring, boring, boring. Her fake "Hiiii-yyyyyeeee" makes me cringe. Her fashion sense is whacky (she obviously mistook the "shirtdress" as meaning wearing a shirt as a dress, for example). Nothing redeeming at all, and I'm surprised she even returned. Without Bethenny to push her buttons (and vice versa), what does she add to the show?

Then there's Jill. Bethenny's famous quote regarding her voice: "like a horn" As I'm considering this coming season, I remember Jill's voice and/or see previews, and I start to wonder if it's even worth watching because of Jill and Kelly.

I mean, I like Ramona's antics and Alex's quirkiness, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to watch it at all. Was Bethenny really the glue that held it all together for me? (just my opinion, I know others can't stand her) I may just wait and see what others have to say about it after the first episode or two.

I miss the first 2 seasons. Last season was just plain jaw-dropping with Jill's treatment of Bethenny and Kelly's bizarre behavior. When it was over, I felt as exhausted as those ladies looked on the island just before Jill the Horn showed up! Season 4? Just don't know.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4191981;
    Yes. Chocolate cake, yes. I'd love to see the RHs doing some really fun stuff in New York; such as places to shop- not just a 3-second flash, quirky museums, fashion designer fittings, maybe a tour through the rag district to see how it's done, fun things to do with kids in the city, theater and opera nights, an inside look at Zarin's and Ramona's businesses, parties in the Hamptons, high style fundraisers without arguments, more detail about LuLu's recording studio life. They must have interesting lives aside from catfights. Um, don't they?
    Exactly! I'm totally fascinated with New York itself and would really love to see more of the housewives showing off their city and not just fussing and fighting with each other. Show us some New York garage sales or a typical person's day or something. Stroll the neighborhoods, have the ladies do some fun touristy stuff, show them visiting the New York public library, the museum of modern art, go hang out in Times Square. Better yet, let me do all that and I'll throw in a catfight or two to keep it edgy.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;4192660;
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!
    Luv your siggy, sums it up nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;4192660;
    Exactly! I'm totally fascinated with New York itself and would really love to see more of the housewives showing off their city and not just fussing and fighting with each other. Show us some New York garage sales or a typical person's day or something. Stroll the neighborhoods, have the ladies do some fun touristy stuff, show them visiting the New York public library, the museum of modern art, go hang out in Times Square. Better yet, let me do all that and I'll throw in a catfight or two to keep it edgy.

Well, Kelly did teach us all about running in New York traffic!!!!

+ Reply to Thread