+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 362 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree2461Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

FORT Fan

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

The non-TV based information applies to all of us, so let's leave that one alone. The fact is that reality TV cannot be seen as a plus toward someone living a normal, adjusted life. I think that is the point of your earlier posts, and one on which we can agree. Addicts are tragedies that most of us have dealt with in our own lives. Their struggles cannot be helped by the cameras and exposure.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

FORT Fogey

No, it can't. And while being on a reality show won't make someone violent or a drug addict, I think it's telling of the parents. If being back on a reality show is more important to his family than him, can we honestly believe that's something that just started now? Or do you think it's a trend, that he's felt that his mother cares much more for herself and doesn't care for her children particularly much, whether it's the reality or not? Because that could lead to sooo many issues that could have led to his current ones. Somehow I don't think this woman even cares enough that she has threatened to cut him off. It's easier to pretend it away.

I mean, look at Ashley on RHONJ. What she did is much less serious, it's a first-time offense, the consequences she's facing are much less significant, but they've threatened to kick her out, and every conversation they have apparently is about the issue until she gets that there were other ways to handle it.

My point is, if you really love your kids, and they are in this much trouble, your world should stop. Even if it comes down to cutting them off because they refuse rehab, you don't go on a reality show and search for more fame while your kid is in trouble!

FORT Fan

Well, I think if one were a responsible parent, one would have not exposed one's kids to the fame-steriod of reality television. So these narcissistic parents were way off waaaay before the television cameras ever arrived. They were pimping themselves for cheerleader camps, little league camps, junior football camps, all in the hopes that their kids might actualize their own dreams of fame. Their kids are just props, like the coat of arms or the second home. As you say, if you love your kids, your world would stop. But in their world, they see their kid's stumbling, even complete failure, as reality-tv fodder, and their bread and butter.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Josh is 21. Laurie hasn't been on the show for what? 3 years? In this time HE hasn't chosen to fix himself and no one can decide that for him. If Laurie and the sisters enjoy being on a TV show then they should be able to do it and not let Josh's choices keep them from doing what they want. He's not a kid anymore and shouldn't have the power to take everybody else down with him. We will never know if being on the show really made any difference, at all, with Josh's downward spiral. None of the other "Housewives" kids seem to be doing what he's doing so why blame the show for how he turned out? Do we say that Vickie's daughter is a success because of the show? How do you explain families that have a "good" kid and a "bad" kid? There aren't any easy answers. It's too bad that Josh is having a troubled life but the rest of family shouldn't have to stop doing what they want to do just because he's a mess. It seems like Laurie has done quite a lot of things to help him. There is no reason for her keep doing things for him if he really doesn't want or appreciate the help. I doubt ,that if he ever asked for help that, they wouldn't. Again, at his age the show shouldn't be any kind of problem for him. He doesn't have to be on it because he is an adult.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4006761;
    Okay, first of all, it's a TV show. Keep that in mind. My mother's an addictions counselor so... I have my fair share of non-TV based information. Most rehab facilities don't let patients have contact with outsiders for a period of time when they first get there, simply to get them clean in the first place. Take away the stressors and it's easier to get some time sober behind you. Then you start re-introducing the family/friends/real life. No, I have not seen Intervention, for various reasons, but as this is a discussion board for RHOC and not Intervention, I assumed that other information would be appreciated. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Giving someone a choice between rehab and being cut off is one thing. Not having that "intervention" is another. My point is that you can't just cut an addict off and expect them to get it on their own. At some point, there has to be a conversation in which the choice is given.
    As far as I know, any sort of intervention has to work in this way. Not just the TV kind.

So did anyone find a final cast list? I guess it's obvious Gretchen is back, and if Jeanna is there then Vicki will be also (I'm in the minority, but I wanted to keep her and lose the rest of the newbies), I can't see Tamra not feeding her camera fix, and rumor is Laurie is there this time. I wonder if they dropped Lynne?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Drop Lynne? Dear god, I hope they kept her cuffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lynn is not back. Tamra recently posted on her facebook that filming had begun, but Lynn's daughter Raquel just posted to someone asking about a new season, that she didn't know if there would be another season. That Raquel seems pretty wild too. She just changed her facebook default pic to where she is just wearing a bikini bottom, with pasties on her boobs. She said that it was the outfit she wore to the EDC concert. She has had other thong pics up too.

I thought Jeana left the show last season?
    Why is she coming back?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I've heard she's going to be on Jackie Warner's weight-loss show on Bravo.

+ Reply to Thread