+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 370 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree2599Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4005182;
    Seems like no matter what, the kid wants to be a criminal. He's had opportunities to straighten up his life. Not sure I'd interrupt my life just because he was arrested again. Just another day in the salt mines for him.
    Amen to that! He's old enough to make his own (bad) choices. All of the intervention shows have the parents cut off their kids unless they straighten and clean up. He can't be allowed to bring down everyone else with him.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4005283;
    Amen to that! He's old enough to make his own (bad) choices. All of the intervention shows have the parents cut off their kids unless they straighten and clean up. He can't be allowed to bring down everyone else with him.
    I totally agree Josh must face his own poor choices, that's a given. However, Ashley was tweeting how Josh was getting his passport and they were planning a trip to the Bahamas for the show. Lauri was going to USE Josh again as well as the other kids when she is very well aware of the fact Josh isn't ready for another round of exploitation on a cheesy reality show. For Lauri and Ashley, it's $$$ in the bank and another TV op - you can count George in too. Seeing the other women writing books, getting their own shows, etc, was eating them all alive.

I never cared for Vicki but I bet if Josh was her kid, and although an adult, she would have kicked his butt all the way to the courthouse to ensure he didn't violate his parole. Vicki would have been all over that, reminding her son he had to be in court on a certain date! There lies the difference!
    "The Peterson Project"? I hope they stash their Bravo money away to pay the counseling fees for these poor kids. The ONLY people in this family who will possibly benefit from going back to this show is Ashley, Lauri, and George, but NOT in a good way! They will get the exposure and $$$ they are looking for but I shudder to think about what it’s going to cost the rest of the “Project”.
    "Never Give Up" ~~~Winston Churchill

FORT Fogey

Parenting aside, I think it says something about them that even while their son is spiraling out of control, when most families would be laying low and not drawing attention to themselves, they are throwing themselves relentlessly into the spotlight.

By the way, the intervention shows aren't necessarily the best place to get your information on addiction counseling, nor are their methods particularly effective.

Pretty much, just playing "Devil's Advocate" here but who really knows if being on the show REALLY had any effect on Josh at all. He already had problems before being on the show. Maybe he was going to be a drug addict and criminal no matter what. There are lots of them in the world today and most of them AREN'T on reality TV shows. Some have good parents and some have bad. Some are rich and some are poor. Now, I know that if I had a kid with huge problems, like Josh, I wouldn't be advertising my life on TV. I just wouldn't want the world to know all of my kid's problems. I agree that Laurie just can't stand letting go of her little bit of fame because fame is just as addicting as any drug! I know that I enjoyed watching Laurie on OC much more than any of the newer, replacement wives. Quinn (yuck), Lynne (boring) and Jesus Barbie (barf), Laurie was fun to pick on and I kinda liked the rags to riches (?) story line (true or not). It kinda gave divorced, working moms (like myself) hope. I don't know........ I liked it. Liked the wedding and liked snarking on her frozen face! I'll probably watch her show and not worry about if it's making Josh's life any harder. He's an adult, right? He doesn't have to be on it if he doesn't want to.

FORT Fogey

Oh, I don't think that being on a reality show made him the way he is. I always think it's ludicrous when people say that. True, fame can go to your head and make you more self-absorbed/whiny/snotty, things like that, but they don't make you violent drug users. That's on you, and probably your parents who were responsible for your well-being/upbringing.

My concern isn't so much that they're going to put him on the show but that I feel like a decent parent would focus first on helping their kid get their life together, then getting back on TV. It's true that one of the steps of getting someone out of an addiction is cutting them off from their family/friends, but that's while they're in a program, typically a residential one. Cutting them off when they're just out there spiraling downhill does no good.

FORT Fogey

You don't cut them off after they've already committed to recovery. You cut them off to get them there.

FORT Fogey

Where'd you get that information?

Addicts don't think clearly, they can't be logical. A hardcore addict isn't going to think "oh, this is upsetting my family, I'm going to get help." It will simply drive them to more the behavior, because they only way an addict knows how to deal with stress is with their drug. Also, TVaholic was talking about in an intervention, which is a specific form of treatment...

FORT Fogey

If you have ever seen Intervention? The choice is rehab or to be cut off. Every single episode. Doesn't make much sense to support their habit and then cut them off once they go into rehab. The cutting off is the leverage used to get them to go. Have you ever seen the show?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4006621;
    If you have ever seen Intervention? The choice is rehab or to be cut off. Every single episode. Doesn't make much sense to support their habit and then cut them off once they go into rehab. The cutting off is the leverage used to get them to go. Have you ever seen the show?
    I don't know anyone who doesn't understand this. The whole point of intervention is that these overindulged, overinvested, overtrusted, overnagged addicts have met their bottom. No mas! It doesn't work any other way.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4006621;
    Okay, first of all, it's a TV show. Keep that in mind. My mother's an addictions counselor so... I have my fair share of non-TV based information. Most rehab facilities don't let patients have contact with outsiders for a period of time when they first get there, simply to get them clean in the first place. Take away the stressors and it's easier to get some time sober behind you. Then you start re-introducing the family/friends/real life. No, I have not seen Intervention, for various reasons, but as this is a discussion board for RHOC and not Intervention, I assumed that other information would be appreciated. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Giving someone a choice between rehab and being cut off is one thing. Not having that "intervention" is another. My point is that you can't just cut an addict off and expect them to get it on their own. At some point, there has to be a conversation in which the choice is given.

+ Reply to Thread