+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2577Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Prhoshay, I picked up on Brianna's comment about Ryan being raised differently too. I wondered what that meant ... I hope Andy discusses it more in the reunion if Brianna was there. I wonder if Ryan did not grow up around as much money as Brianna did, and if being surrounded by it now makes him uncomfortable. He certainly does come across as a man who has very traditional views of what masculinity is. If he does identify providing for a family as defining being a man, and has wound up living with his mother-in-law at least giving people the perception that he can't provide for his wife and kid, I could understand him being even more uncomfortable and lashing out in crazy ways. Maybe it would be best for Brianna if he were stationed somewhere on the other side of the country when he gets back from his deployment. THat could allow them to build their family unit of 3 standing on their own to see if that helps things. I've had a couple of friends with mother-in-laws like Vicki, and seen the misery they go through with a woman who insists she can tell them how their household must work. The way that Vicki can try to emasculate a man, I can imagine it would be very difficult for a son-in-law too. Speaking of emasculating Vicki, she managed to make me symphathize with Slade at the end of the episode. It kills me to say it, but i was impressed with the way he and Gretchen both handled her attack. While I don't like the things that Slade has said about the women, and think he does it in a desparate attempt to get his own fame by attaching himself to them, there was a LOT of hypocrisy in what Vicki was saying. It's not a matter of you should not say mean things about women -- you shouldn't say mean things about anyone. And i tend to agree with Slade that attacking a person's character is far worse than insulting their looks. Further, I think it shows how shallow Vicki is that she'd think that appearances matter more than character. I was impressed with how calmly both Slade and Gretchen defended themselves, pointing out that Vicki didn't have ground to stand on, but not doing it in way that would turn her into crazy attacking Vicki.

ITA!!!!! i was disgusted by her acting like looks matter more than character.

gretchen and slade don't bother me much. vicki def does tho!

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Speaking of emasculating Vicki, she managed to make me symphathize with Slade at the end of the episode. It kills me to say it, but i was impressed with the way he and Gretchen both handled her attack. While I don't like the things that Slade has said about the women, and think he does it in a desparate attempt to get his own fame by attaching himself to them, there was a LOT of hypocrisy in what Vicki was saying. It's not a matter of you should not say mean things about women -- you shouldn't say mean things about anyone. And i tend to agree with Slade that attacking a person's character is far worse than insulting their looks. Further, I think it shows how shallow Vicki is that she'd think that appearances matter more than character. I was impressed with how calmly both Slade and Gretchen defended themselves, pointing out that Vicki didn't have ground to stand on, but not doing it in way that would turn her into crazy attacking Vicki.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

This was the most yelling I've ever done at the television screen while watching a show. So much hypocrisy, so much irony so much a$$holery going on.

WTF is up with Ryan?? Is this jerk for real? Yelling and disrespecting his mother in laws party guests, yelling in their faces and then bossing her around, telling her what she can and cannot do in her own house?? WOW...just wow. And then he has the nerve to hate on Brooks? When has Brooks ever threatened anyone? And at least Brooks doesn't have anger management issues (that we know of anyway)

And then Vicki yelling and screaming at Slade about not disrespecting women. Oh, the irony...your son in-law just not only yelled, but threatened a woman, so if you want to talk about disrespecting women, how about we start with your narccisstic, controlling potentially physically abusive son in law. How about we start there. And then Brianna in the same breath, hating on her mother's boyfriend after her own husband just displayed such horrible behaviour??

Mark my words, Brianna's marriage to Ryan is will NOT last. And at the end of the day she'll go crying to mommy about how horrible things were and her mommy will be there to help her pick up the pieces.

And what in the blazing saddles is going on with Gretchen's mouth area? It looks horrific. She'd better stay the hell out of the surgeon's chair as pretty soon she'll be quacking to match that duck's bill looking mouth of hers.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 08-08-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Punkin, Imperfect1 and jucamer like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Andy told Gretchen that her lips looked big on that episode; she agreed with him. I think it had a lot to do with her choice of cosmetics....at least I hope that's all it was.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Season One is on right now and, man, how times have changed in a lot of ways. What stood out was Vicki taking Brianna to lunch and telling her to date more and not just Colby so she doesn't get tied down to one guy too young. Brianna was all, "I don't want to be like you and I'll do what I want." That hasn't changed one bit, just the guy. Colby might have been the better choice in hindsight.

That's pretty typical for a teenager/very young adult.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

True enough, but it's just such the theme with Vicki and Brianna for 8 seasons.

I watched through the end of S1 and the reunion. So much different in tone! The "wrap" party at Kimberly's house had plastic plates and forks, a deli tray from a grocery store, and a fruit platter. I doubt a caterer was even remotely involved. No one threw a drink, had a melt down, or stormed off. No one got stupid drunk either. Then at the reunion, they all got along. The "biggest" tense moment was breezed over (between Jo and Lauri, about Lauri dating Slade for 2 weeks) in a matter of seconds. The ladies vowed to have a night out per week to keep in touch. That's the show I liked from the start...a glimpse into the OC women's lives, not cat fights, liquor sales, handbag lines, and blog fights. The only constant is Slade angling for camera time. I wonder what became of his $90K Hollywood mask & prop collection.
    Lizard likes this.

Watched the final episode again. Judy did NOT say that she had taken off her shoes; even though she may not have, that was no excuse for the whackjob to verbally assault her like he did....and the amount of Ryan's lying to Briana about the exchange was ridiculous. He's also a little too free with that "bitch" word. I'm guessing that will be one of his son's first words. He is nothing but trouble; Briana is just too young to get that, yet.

Watched it again last night and the 2 most telling parts for me were Vicki's brother saying "every time we get together you start something" (or something of the sort) and the almost slip of him saying "I own this".

Ryan has spoken thru Military Times and is blaming this all on editing. That there was much more that went down, or something like that. I for one dont believe it. He is trying to save face. It has also come out (cant remember where I read it) that he actively pursued brianna for a couple months online prior to meeting in person, they married about a month after meeting in person. He has been married before, and it supposedly was messy.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I would put money on his first wife having horror stories to tell.
    Punkin, Imperfect1 and buttahfly like this.

+ Reply to Thread