+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 368 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 3675
Like Tree2577Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

  1. #211
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie010;4062973;
    I've been watching the first season and I agree with you, thedragonlady, the parenting was awful! And the entitlement of the kids was even worse!

    Lori's daughter Ashley was mortified to think that her mother expected her to get a job and pay for her own insurance, cell phone and car payment when she all of a sudden showed up on the doorstep. Then when moms out of town and told her "no parties", what does Ashley do? Yup, have a bunch of friends over.

    Vicki's son Michael also wanted no part of getting a job and figured he should be allowed to just lay around the house all day. Just because he flunked all of his classes, Vicki had a lot of nerve expecting anything of him. I have a problem watching that kid; he always has this weird grin on his face when he talks and it creeps me out.

    Then Gena doesn't seem very upset as she explains that Shane didn't care about girls or school - just sports. She was such an enabler. If he were my kid, all sports would been curtailed until he showed some good grades (but thats just me).

    These people just infuriate me, parents and kids alike!
    Apparently, most housewives on Bravo are really bad mothers....at least the ones we see the most. Maybe that's it. Good mothers don't have their children on the show, except for an occasional token appearance and the lousy mothers put their kids on all the time and show us exactly how really bad they are at parenting. So many of them seem to not want to "upset" their children with petty things like rules, a la Lynn(OC) and Lori (OC). Others like Danielle (NJ), Kelly (NY)and Kim (ATL) like to be good friends with their kids. All bad parenting.

  2. #212
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Very true. Once you're old enough to embarrass yourself, you should have minor, token appearances until you're old enough to consent.

  3. #213
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Hi ladies! I'm new! I used to post over on the Bravo boards but some of the ladies are pretty vicious over there so I'm looking for a new home so to speak before the BH and DC seasons start.

    On to the gossip! Did you guys hear that Simon Barney got arrested for domestic violence???? I read about it on Celebrity Beehive but can't find it anywhere else. I'm sure it will be everywhere soon. He always seemed like a real jerk. I wonder if it's true.......

    Well looking forward to chatting with you!

  4. #214
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    50

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Here may be the link you are looking for:

    Simon Barney | Reality Tea. And it also gives details on the newest housewife.

  5. #215
    FORT Fan elleprn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upside Down
    Posts
    349

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    I'm a little confused. They were arguing over the dog, he threw the leash and hit Tamara in the wrist. Did the leash belong to the dog or Tamara?

  6. #216
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    I've been watching the old reruns of RHOC since they started because I've only seen the last few years of this show. So I'm trying to catch up on all the goings-on.
    When Gretchen first started seeing Slade Smiley, I noticed how disgusted most people here on FORT were with Slade. Not having seen the early seasons, I didn't understand why. I still don't understand why. In the season I'm watching (reruns), he's upset with Jo because she's still young and wants to go out, drinking with her friends and not be just a housewife and part time mother to his 2 boys. The basic problem is that Slade is in a different time of his life (40 yrs old) than Jo (24). Neither is at fault but their expectations are way off. They're just not right for each other at this time. But Slade seems to treat her very well, wants her to be a role model and a good mother to his boys and doesn't seem to be sleazy at all.
    What am I missing that causes so many here to be disgusted with him? Can anyone fill me in??

  7. #217
    FORT Fogey Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4066340;
    I've been watching the old reruns of RHOC since they started because I've only seen the last few years of this show. So I'm trying to catch up on all the goings-on.
    When Gretchen first started seeing Slade Smiley, I noticed how disgusted most people here on FORT were with Slade. Not having seen the early seasons, I didn't understand why. I still don't understand why. In the season I'm watching (reruns), he's upset with Jo because she's still young and wants to go out, drinking with her friends and not be just a housewife and part time mother to his 2 boys. The basic problem is that Slade is in a different time of his life (40 yrs old) than Jo (24). Neither is at fault but their expectations are way off. They're just not right for each other at this time. But Slade seems to treat her very well, wants her to be a role model and a good mother to his boys and doesn't seem to be sleazy at all.
    What am I missing that causes so many here to be disgusted with him? Can anyone fill me in??
    It may have something to do with his dishonesty about his dating Lauri before she married Chin; or his alleged failure to help care for and support his gravely I'll son; or his pretentious lifestyle when he was jobless and losing his home. But maybe those things don't account for much-- it's pretty much expected that RH people are thoroughly dishonest. Speaking for myself, his looks creep me out.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

    Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

  8. #218
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,064

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4066350;
    It may have something to do with his dishonesty about his dating Lauri before she married Chin; or his alleged failure to help care for and support his gravely I'll son; or his pretentious lifestyle when he was jobless and losing his home. But maybe those things don't account for much-- it's pretty much expected that RH people are thoroughly dishonest. Speaking for myself, his looks creep me out.
    In defense of Slade, in the early years when he was with Jo, I liked him and felt he was a great boyfriend. He seemed to really be in love with her, and was very gracious with her (albeit a bit controlling). At that time, he seemed to've actually had a lot of money and he certainly bought super expensive things. When he and Jo broke up he did date Lauri briefly. It was openly mentioned on the show, in fact there were even clips shown when they were on a date. Don't know why, later on with Gretchen, he felt he had to deny (or, more accurately 'minimize' seeing Lauri), but apparently he did.

    The fact that Slade tried to hang on to his money when he started losing it, or that he tried to put on a front of still having a lot of money --- I don't blame him so much for that. It's not so terrible. But what really IS terrible to me is the whole business of his not supporting (emotionally and financially) one of his children, the one who was so critically ill. When I read that, I found it so hard to believe because he seemed like such a caring father to the son(s) he had at home -- that it just didn't make sense to me. Recently I've read that he's worked things out financially with the child that is ill. Don't know about the emotional part.

  9. #219
    FORT Fogey Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;4066529;
    In defense of Slade, in the early years when he was with Jo, I liked him and felt he was a great boyfriend. He seemed to really be in love with her, and was very gracious with her (albeit a bit controlling). At that time, he seemed to've actually had a lot of money and he certainly bought super expensive things. When he and Jo broke up he did date Lauri briefly. It was openly mentioned on the show, in fact there were even clips shown when they were on a date. Don't know why, later on with Gretchen, he felt he had to deny (or, more accurately 'minimize' seeing Lauri), but apparently he did.

    The fact that Slade tried to hang on to his money when he started losing it, or that he tried to put on a front of still having a lot of money --- I don't blame him so much for that. It's not so terrible. But what really IS terrible to me is the whole business of his not supporting (emotionally and financially) one of his children, the one who was so critically ill. When I read that, I found it so hard to believe because he seemed like such a caring father to the son(s) he had at home -- that it just didn't make sense to me. Recently I've read that he's worked things out financially with the child that is ill. Don't know about the emotional part.
    Yah, I hear you... I realize his perceived character flaws are alleged, hyped by Bravo, and influenced by his desire to be elevated in the minds of viewers. Any, all, none, or part of the storyline may or may not be real, legitimate, or important. I sure wouldn't want my sister hanging out with him.

    Slade, the Keough son, the Barney son, and the Gunvalson son all seem skeevy, somehow so very slimy; all four of them seem so much alike... and creepy. Compared, say, to Bethenny's husband, her hired hand Max, Ramona's husband, and other decent males on these shows.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

    Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

  10. #220
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

    Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4066340;
    I've been watching the old reruns of RHOC since they started because I've only seen the last few years of this show. So I'm trying to catch up on all the goings-on.
    When Gretchen first started seeing Slade Smiley, I noticed how disgusted most people here on FORT were with Slade. Not having seen the early seasons, I didn't understand why. I still don't understand why. In the season I'm watching (reruns), he's upset with Jo because she's still young and wants to go out, drinking with her friends and not be just a housewife and part time mother to his 2 boys. The basic problem is that Slade is in a different time of his life (40 yrs old) than Jo (24). Neither is at fault but their expectations are way off. They're just not right for each other at this time. But Slade seems to treat her very well, wants her to be a role model and a good mother to his boys and doesn't seem to be sleazy at all.
    What am I missing that causes so many here to be disgusted with him? Can anyone fill me in??
    Dragon,

    I'm in the same boat as you are and just started watching S1 now.
    I do realize that Jo and Slade were at different points in their lives when they were dating. Slade does seem controlling from what I've seen so far of S1, but Jo seems incredibly entitled and immature. Not a perfect match, for sure.
    In yesterday's finale episode, they mentioned that Slade dated Lauri for about 6 weeks after he / Jo broke up. Then, he /Jo got back together. I don't really follow these people much off this board, so I don't know about Slade's failure to acknowledge Lauri. In his defense, though, I can't really blame him. Dating someone for 6 weeks is not exactly a relationship, IMO.
    Slade does seem overly impressed with money and status, especially as we see him later on with Gretchen. However, since most of the people on these Housewives shows seem pretty obsessed with status, anyway, I can't fault him more than any of the others.
    I'm not going to comment on his parenting skills, because I don't know about anything in the tabloids, just what I've seen on the show.
    And I just don't see Slade as super slimey like many describe him.
    On the other hand, I'm thrilled that Jo's no longer on the show, as she annoyed the heck out of me with her total "Princess" attitude. I have no tolerance for women like that, especially when they're just being 'kept" by men, as she put it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.