+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2610Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Agreed. I don't think she's mean I think she's stupid. And I think she's in a terrible, borderline abusive relationship where she's very, very controlled by her husband. But I think she's a world better than the rest of them.

FORT Fogey

Alexis has never struck me as mean. And I was particularly charmed by how she tried to take care of Sarah in the bathroom while at the Dubrow party.

I'm not even convinced she's as dumb as Heather has made her out to be. She seems to argue her cases pretty well. She might be socially clueless - and certainly sheltered by her husband. These things make her less wordly, exposed, educated, etc.

I HOPE that Alexis does develop a career of her own. She'd really blossom, I think. I think Alexis is just growing up late.

----------

I'm so bummed that Tamra had to turn into Tamra this season. I really wanted her to remain independent, kinder, etc. As someone going through similar things, I might have even been inspired by her. She headed south quickly and never looked back. Ugh. What a disappointment.

Tamra's "mean girl" side seems to surface every season.
    Anyone ever see the old movie, Heathers?
    THe movie could have been modeled after her!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Just came across this. What is it....season 6 or 7 and this is the first I heard about Slade's son:

The Real Housewives are Nuts!: Slade Smiley’s son Grayson on 'Glee’

Sorry but need to add my bit of opinion on the "very rich" Housewives such as Heather and Adrienne.
    I don't have a problem with a woman who married a man who creates an enormous amount of wealth, esp. Heather. She seems to be a full time mom to 4 kids....that's a lot of work. I'm sure she has some help (and why not, if you can afford it?) but I got the impression she's doing most of it (child-raising....not scrubbing floors). Maintaining a huge house also requires work, even though she can probably snap her fingers to have it done for her instantly, someone has to take care of what's needed. I think she does the work of a housewife and mother...which doesn't give her a salary check. And before the kids, she did work. I'm impressed that she quit acting when she had babies. Don't see that very much in that industry.

Guess I just don't agree with those who feel that a woman has to work outside the home, receive money for her to be considered worthwhile in a marriage, and that it's "his" money. I always thought it was a partnership, where they chose what they wanted to do to create a life together. One chose something that brings in money for survival and one chose things that raises the children they created together and helps provide a home life/social life where the other gets to enjoy and not be concerned about.

I think Adrienne can pick and choose whatever interests her involving the family business...and I think she enjoys aspects of working in the business. But it would still go on without her.
    She seems to have a lot more help than Heather but maybe that's only what's shown us viewers.
    I could be totally wrong about all of this, given how little I know of their lives. Heather could have oodles of service people to do everything and she only eats bon-bons and shop for shoes.
    I like both of their husbands a lot more than I like the wives.
    Ok, putting away the soapbox. Am really not making a big deal about having a different opinion but just wanted to state mine here as another way to look at it.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

No need to get upset. I was only talking specifically about Heather, who seems to find it easy to flaunt (and take credit for) her enormous wealth, when it appears that she's not the one who has brought this wealth to the table. Just to be clear, when I referred to wealthy husbands like Terry Dubrow and Paul Nasif who "earned" the money as compared to their wives, who may or may not also bring a lot of MONEY into their marriage, I was ONLY talking about which spouse created the monetary wealth in the marriage. I was NOT talking about whether the wives "contributed" (in other ways) to the marriage itself. Big difference! I completely agree that a stay-at-home mom does plenty of work. But I wasn't talking about the work that a stay-at-home mom does. That's a different topic.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 07-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.

FORT Fogey

Of course, the key in many divorce cases when it comes to a man like Terry who contributed the lion's share of the monetary wealth in his marriage is how much of that he was free to earn because Heather was taking care of the family allowing him to work. Workplaces are filled with people who chooses against pursuing certain career advancements because of commitments needed to family. I have a family friend who is a doctor with a practice that has grown so large that he spends full days in the office, and then typically brings records home at night, giving up time with his family, to review and update all the records and paperwork part of his job. He's free to do this because his wife puts her time into caring for their kids, home etc. If Terry didn't have a wife who was taking care of everythign at home so he didn't have to, then in theory, he would have to take fewer patients, and create less wealth for himself. There's also no telling how many patients Terry has picked up because Heather has made comments to women about the lines on their faces, strange bump on their nose, or boobs sagging in that way she has of being criticial, while pretending to just want to help!

To each their own, and it's all good. Adrienne lost a lot of the like I had for her negative focuses on Lisa.

My brother in law told his kids that he wanted his daughter to grow up and marry a rich man. I am glad that my brother in law has been good to my sister and they have been together for 30 years....but I was dumbstruck when I heard that.
    You can do it!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Marrying into a lot of money can bring a lot of baggage with it...."require a lot of trade-offs". I don't think I have the personality/demeanor to fill the bill for a man with tons of money. It would be so much better if I were more like Adrienne Maloof! I need to come with my own ducats! My independence is just not for sale, and is sure to be the death of me!

I'd love to have access to his, but I just really need my own, too! The downfall of being raised by a very independent woman, I guess.
    Prism likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I agree with you prhoshay. If a woman (or a man for that matter) marries someone with a ton of money, it may remove the pressure of figuring out how to get bills paid, etc. But it creates an entirely new set of pressures. They worry about losing the spouse and the lifestyle they've come to enjoy. Having all that money also makes their men more attractive to other women. Everyone has stresses and worries in their lives - it's just a matter of where you want yours to come from. I'd rather be content in knowing my marriage and family are strong, and figure out the bills from there.
    Lizard and bee stung lips like this.

+ Reply to Thread