+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Re: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4050441;
    As for the snub by the hairdresser, I thought she looked pathetic and I felt sorry for her. But what goes around, comes around.
    This is the same hairdresser that gave Kate Gosselin her new look......I wonder if they knew that as they were clamoring fir his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;4050449;
    This is the same hairdresser that gave Kate Gosselin her new look......I wonder if they knew that as they were clamoring fir his attention.
    He's also the new hair stylist on the last season of What Not To Wear. I miss Nick on that show but I did like Ted as a replacement. I have a whole different opinion of him now after seeing him on RHODC. Now I only see another status seeker, rubbing elbows with the Elite (?) to further their goal of "being Someone who knows lots of Someones."
    I'm so glad that I just watch this show and am not caught up with always trying to be with just the right/proper people and elevating my social status in real life. I once lived in a very wealthy, prestigious area and quickly observed this behavior up close. I never made even one friend who lived there. My real friends came from other areas. It's a never ending quest to always have more until you realize there will always be someone who has "more." Didn't seem like a satisfactory life to me...always struggling, striving to be more and better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4048459;
    No race wants to claim Kim!
    I've seen actual fights over this, with people purporting to be of several different ethnic groups insisting she clearly belongs to some other one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;4050449;
    This is the same hairdresser that gave Kate Gosselin her new look......I wonder if they knew that as they were clamoring for his attention.
    Surely the production staff will have been sworn to secrecy.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4049670;
    I wouldn't call Stacie's mother 'selfish' for not wanting to disclose the father of her child...
    I was thinking the references to Stacie's biomom's selfishness had more to do with her indulging herself by maintaining contact with her when she knew that she was not prepared, able, or in a position, whether culturally, emotionally, or any other ly to invite her to visit and introduce her around as her long-lost daughter, nor go visit Stacie as her long-lost mother.

The situation is hardly unique, although I imagine that most biomoms, when contacted, simply give the third party whatever relevant medical history information they may have, and unless they are prepared to openly include the child in their present life, simply decline meetings or letters.

While it does obviously oblige the biomom to "give up" the child all over again, which for some, will have been a horrifically painful experience, and will be no easier the second time, that would be less painful for the child than the choice made by Stacie's biomom.

And it would actually be more prudent from the standpoint of her own interests.

I can't really disagree with Stacie's observation that to be told you are a "secret" is going to be extremely painful for anybody.

What's to stop Stacie from outing biomom? The only attachment, the only relationship she has with her, is based on what she cannot help but perceive as biomom being ashamed of her!

It may turn out that biomom was selfish, just not selfish enough. Unable to resist the urge to have any sort of contact with Stacie, or bear the thought of going through the pain of giving her up again, she left herself wide open to the very thing she sought to avoid!

Maybe this is due to me being old, but my speculation is that the way both Stacie and her mom feel has more to do with generational differences in attitudes, opinions, and beliefs than ethnicity.

In the world of Modern Today, teen moms have their own reality show. Almost every high school has at least some sort of program to accomodate them so they can continue going to school, graduate with their class, etc.

One of the most popular "non-reality" shows, Secret Life of The American Teenager, has as its principal plot line the story of a high school girl who has a baby.

'Twas not ever thus. It used to be beyond the planet of a big deal. Girls - and young women like Stacie's mom - were routinely "sent away" to stay with a distant relative, armed with some faux story about their real identity, situation, etc. There were even institutions - "homes for unwed mothers" who existed soley for the purpose of being a place to go for those who didn't have a distant relative.

Adoptions were "closed," and records were "sealed." The idea was for the "unwed mother" to be able to return to her life "as if nothing had happened."

With regard to babydaddies, if you've seen the movie "Grease," Rizzo's song sums it up very nicely.

It was considered, in those days, beyond selfish, an act of bitterness and vindictiveness for a girl to "tell the boy." The reasoning was, why should his life be ruined, too?

Can you say "unbridgeable gap?" I knew you could!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4050241;
    it does seem weird that her mother, the supposed racist, was in the peace corps...
    I don't think her mom is necessarily racist, she may just be what's known as a "closeted chocolate lover". You know, attracted to black men and date black men, but would NEVER take a black man to her family out of fear of unacceptance. It is not uncommon.

I am black myself and married a white man. On the second date, I made it clear to him that I would rather stop dating him than be his closeted girlfriend who never meets his friends and family. It happens.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4050328;
    Well, if that's what her mother did, then that's horrendous as well. But, I meant why would Stacie lie?
    I was suggesting that the mother lied to Stacie. Just suggesting. It wouldn't be the first time a kid got lied to about their parentage.

FORT Fogey

I wonder if the threat of some person coming to you 20 0r 30 or 40 years after the fact is enough to keep young women today from considering adoption as an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4050560;
    I wonder if the threat of some person coming to you 20 0r 30 or 40 years after the fact is enough to keep young women today from considering adoption as an alternative.
    I could see how it might, if they were that forward thinking, or had become so having pondered the role that failure to consider possible consequences may have played in their being in the position of thinking about the subject of adoption!

Changes in laws over the last couple of decades have certainly sparked plenty of lively debate on the subject between women and the babies they gave up, who have now grown up and want to find their biological parents!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4050556;
    I was suggesting that the mother lied to Stacie. Just suggesting. It wouldn't be the first time a kid got lied to about their parentage.
    Oh yeah I got what you were saying, and you're right it's quite possible. I just think that either way, it's not right for her mom to either lie about Stacie's dad or refuse to give her any information, even if she's telling the truth.

It seems Charles regrets appearing on RHODC.

http://nyti.ms/dicdjk
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Stacie's birth mom owes her nothing. She gave her life and Stacie should than God for that. I thought she said her moms family was racist. Back in the 40s &50s many older people were. Some older people I encounter now (80-90) still are. That's the way they were raised. Yeah it was wrong but that's the way it was. Stacie just needs to get over it. People like her keep the race issue going.

+ Reply to Thread