+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 69 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Re: The Real Housewives of D.C.

This show is getting really boring. I am just watching for the build up to the White House dinner crashing which seems to be the climax of the show.

As far as Stacie saying her birth mother was selfish; I took that statement to mean she thought her birth mother was selfish because she wouldn't tell Stacie anything about her birth father except that he was Nigerian.

FORT Fanatic

The Salahis never should have signed to appear on this series. They just keep looking worse and worse. They have had a tremendous amount of publicity in the D.C. area ever since the White House incident last November, and I vaguely recall the Black Caucus thing. But every program I'm learning about more stuff, and now everyone in the U.S. can learn about it.

I hope it's eventually revealed that the impressive stone house they IMPLY is theirs is just a borrowed house. They live much more modestly. I'm guessing they live out in the country because they couldn't afford to live in D.C. in the style they want to flaunt.

Tariq and his family have been feuding for years about the winery - it's nothing new. A "Washington Post" reporter tried some of their wine and said her group didn't care for it. Of course, with no wine being processed there for several years, there is not much wine left.

I wouldn't call Stacie's mother 'selfish' for not wanting to disclose the father of her child. I can see where it could be important to her child, but it must have been extremely painful for her to have gone through that - and even today, her family doesn't know. I hope the mother won't be 'outed' by Stacie describing her too precisely on the show. She already told her friends while being filmed what two countries her mother is descended from.

I thought it ironic that Stacie found out her biological mother is white because race seems to be very important to her.

Race is extremely important to her! It apparently is to her sorority sisters too. The looks they gave when she said her bio mom was white......I thought they were going to get up and leave her house en masse right then and there

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;4049388;
    soooooo, Stacie's birth mother, who has her own family now doesn't want to have a relationship with the child she gave up for adoption decades ago and it's because she's racist?
    Yes, because she's white. Which (inconveniently) makes Stacie part German and part Finnish. As white as she is black.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4049477;
    The fake stomping was the funniest fakey stupid nonsense ever on Bravo. I loved it!
    Was there not something...I dunno...droit de seigneur about the whole display of getting three women to (partially) disrobe and jump about for the men's giggles and grins?

I mean why not (if you had, say, a [I]real[I] vinyard but it's spring when the grapes are not even grown yet) just have a tour and wine tasting - maybe take them through the various stages of the process from grape to fermented juice? (Re)christen some of last year's wine as "Mary-Stacie-Lynda-Catherine" wine and donate a portion of the proceeds to a charity? There are so many fun things but instead we had to endure this silliness.

Thompson grapes from the grocery, how fun! How could Mike & Tark not know they'd be outed on that? Such posers, and so clueless There simply are no grapes on the few withered vines that remain- did Tark forget there were cameras on the premises? That the Oasis sign shows they're not operating? That the media has reported Oasis as defunct and there's a major family legal battle going on to secure clear title to the land, and he's at the bottom of that crap pile?
    Mike feels her fake smile and tense slightly aggressive air can defeat any nay-sayers ... and of course the ladies have to do some filming with her.

I think both wines for the event were from Midnight Grocery on Georgia Ave.
    Maison de Mad Dog 20/20?

Cat was mean but correct this time--- bollix !!!! Didn't she say she's here for a good time but not for a long time?
    It's one thing to see it for the bollocks it that is. It's another thing to lecture Tark on his manners (which actually weren't all that bad) and then shout "bollocks" to all and sundry. It's yet another thing to shout that your hosts' event is little but "bollocks" and still expect to be welcomed by them or spoken to every again. For all that she's the new girl in town, Cat doesn't seem to want friends.

Was it me or did you notice Mike stressing the party that she threw for Paul Manystyles (how on earth do you turn being a 'lifestyle enthusiast' into a nice big apartement on Capital Hill, Mr. Wharton?)?

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=swissmiss150;4049670;]The Salahis never should have signed to appear on this series. They just keep looking worse and worse. They have had a tremendous amount of publicity in the D.C. area ever since the White House incident last November, and I vaguely recall the Black Caucus thing. But every program I'm learning about more stuff, and now everyone in the U.S. can learn about it. [quote]

The same little devil that told Danielle it'd be a swell idea to go on TV probably got to Tark and Mike.

I hope it's eventually revealed that the impressive stone house they IMPLY is theirs is just a borrowed house. They live much more modestly. I'm guessing they live out in the country because they couldn't afford to live in D.C. in the style they want to flaunt.
    Their real house is nice. I mean one might not look twice at it but it is a nice suburban house. Front Royal is indeed cheaper than DC or even McLean (or even Chevy Chase where Cat breathes and schemes). And a butt-load less than a condo in the Ritz Carleton in Georgetown where Lynda sits under her sun lamp and bakes. God alone knows what that costs her per month.

...I wouldn't call Stacie's mother 'selfish' for not wanting to disclose the father of her child. I can see where it could be important to her child, but it must have been extremely painful for her to have gone through that - and even today, her family doesn't know. I hope the mother won't be 'outed' by Stacie describing her too precisely on the show. She already told her friends while being filmed what two countries her mother is descended from.
    I think that in this day of genetic medicine she ought to be told something just in case it becomes medically necessary. But she probably sees it as selfish because her mother is withholding something that SHE WANTS and when SHE WANTS something and you don't give her what SHE WANTS then you are being selfish.

I thought it ironic that Stacie found out her biological mother is white because race seems to be very important to her.
    Not just 'white' but Nordic. Probably a tall blond valkyrie right out of a Leni Riefenstahl movie. Who was much less race conscious than she is. (Is that what they call "irony?") But race may be very important to her because she doesn't have much else to talk about. Even in DC real estate hasn't been all that terribly hot lately and she is after all pretty much a saleswoman.

In fact this has been bothering me - Mary takes so many chances to sneer about Mike having been a makeup 'girl' but...what does Mary do? She doesn't make money, she spends it. Useless as a badge of honor.

At least Mike had a job. Stacie is in a profession. Lynda is a businesswoman. Mary and Cat do what? Get supported? Sponge? Supervise the maids? And at least Cat doesn't boast about being an appendage.

Why does Mary have to be such a b*tch about Mike's past? Does she really think it makes her appealing? She really has a bug up her well-padded about status - she was royally p*ssed when <whatisname Jason's husband> didn't make obeisance to her rapidly enough - he was so deficient that she had to clear her throat (which really shows she cares more than she should that her hairdresser jumps for her. The opinions of service personnel might be interesting but they should never cause one to make a spectacle of oneself.).

For all that she wants to be Miss Nicey Nicey Ordinary Lady she's got some real atavistic throwback ideas about status and birthright. Sneering about social climbers, chucking about the fame of her grandad (an entertainer, nothing more) and her being allowed to play in the Kennedys' garden (I'm sure their servants' children were allowed to play there too) is in poor taste and reveals her basic and unattractive nature. I find that sort of thing more pathetic than impressive. I don't mind new money or old money but when one pretends to be the other, it's more an exhibition than anything else. Frankly give me a Teresa Giudice (RHONJ) who is brash and tacky but unashamed over a Mary, who can't quite ever get it right.

FORT Fanatic

I did a search and Mary Carter once designed bags and accessories. She founded "Labels for Love" and is a co-founder of "The District Sample Sale," which raise money for charities. She has also been involved in the Vincent T. Lombardi Foundation which supports cancer research in D.C.

I was a little surprised when she admitted that she once moved back home with a child (maybe more?) at one time and her parents took her in; she didn't have to volunteer that info. Wonder if her first child might be from another relationship.

Her grandfather, Arthur Godfrey, had a big estate about 30 miles from D.C. and even though I don't recall ever watching his show as a child, I sure knew who he was; he was a big shot in broadcasting. He even had his own private ice skating rink, which really impressed me. He had a private landing strip at his Virginia estate and would fly up to New York for his shows.

Maybe Mary's generation wasn't interested in Arthur Godfrey, but her parents' generation would have known who he was. He died in 1983.

FORT Fogey

Well, that's something. But it doesn't explain away the viciousness about other people's 'lowly' origins.

While I can suddenly appreciate Stacie's concern about her birth mother's secret, I do think she needs to fess up to the fact that she is half white, like it or not.
    She seems to be the only one on this show who is so quick to call others racist. I feel sorry for her in that her parents gave her away and her mother referred to her as the Secret, but I don't think it gives her the right to call others racist. And those sorority sisters sure seemed to turn up their noses at Stacie's divulging this secret. They seemed pretty smug and arrogant.
    For anyone who did NOT know, Tareq's winery was called Oasis. Yikes, how many times did her have to say Oasis Winery??!! Way too much!
    And, I do feel suspicious about grown men who are locked in battles with their parents. Michaele is totally delusional and real scary looking. Sorry, but her face and her body just make her look like a horse.
    Cat is totally over the top, but I give her credit for calling the Salahis, esp. Tareq, on how ridiculous they are. Cat did go overboard, though, in putting them down and that was unnecessary.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Maybe Stacie's oversensitivity to race comes from the fact that she's rejected by her own mother for being half-black? I would agree with Stacie's statement that it's selfish of her birth mom to keep the identity of Stacie's father a secret. All she needs is a name. From there, if he was a teacher in the Peace Corps, I'm sure they have records.

+ Reply to Thread