+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Re: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4046110;
    I doubt that Stacie's home reflects her income. At 2% she's grossing 600k a year and her hubby probably does well also. My guess is they could afford to live with all the luxury Mike & Tark pretend to have.
    Kinda nice ,IMO! Just because someone can afford something doesn't mean that they have to buy it. Unlike most of these people they might actually be saving some money for a rainy day or building a college fun for their kids. What a concept! Like I mentioned before, I liked their house because it looked like a real home with nik naks and personal items, not like a decorator came in and staged it. It looked like a home. I don't understand why so many of these people live in such giant houses. They're just trying to impress others and most of them can't really afford them.

I don't think that any of the Housewives shows are about anything.
    So, in that respect, I guess this one is pretty much like all the others.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I don't understand why, on a show with mostly white women and one black woman, there is so much focus on racism, but on a show with mostly black women and one white woman, who no one gets along with, RHONA, no one is crying racism.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4048408;
    I don't understand why, on a show with mostly white women and one black woman, there is so much focus on racism, but on a show with mostly black women and one white woman, who no one gets along with, RHONA, no one is crying racism.
    No race wants to claim Kim!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4048459;
    No race wants to claim Kim!
    True!

The Atl. housewives also don't have conversations that touch on hot-button issues the way the DC women do.

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;4046498;

Mary likes to be INTERCULTURAL by speaking SPANISH (sort of) to Rosa, which makes her HAPPY and keeps her GIGGLING. Therefore the MORE she has Rosa around the BETTER. Directing Rosa's WORK give Mary SOMETHING TO DO. Which is GOOD because otherwise she'd reflect on her near total USELESSNESS. I kinda like Rich her toyboy provider though. For all that he's happy to be treated like a plush toy plaything he's smarter than he appears or she notices.
    I find Mary and her husband fascinating. All the other women fit into neat catagories similar to the other Housewife franchises. But Mary and Rich (perfect name, yes?) are different. I see 2 trust fund babies, raised in the same small upper class social circles with that perpetual college kid look and attitude. She should have been named something like Buffy.
    It's like they are suspended in time and only reflect that one type of look, behavior and social relations. They scream "Preppy" and always will. It's really difficult for me to imagine them having/raising 5 kids. Maybe they just gave birth to them and then sent them off to boarding schools because as hard as I try, I can't see anything parental about them and I don't mean that as a negative thing.
    I don't like nor dislike them, just kind of neutral but fascinated by them, like a unique rare species among the more common ones. They always seem so pleasant, realatively care free and curious as to what will happen to them next. And like Dick Clark, they'll age but continue to look youthful.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4048408;
    RHONA doesn't have Stacie...

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;4048920;
    RHONA doesn't have Stacie...
    Now, that would be a hoot!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4043920;
    I was a bit confused about the book that Cat is writing / has written.
    Was it about her romance with her now current husband - the White House photographer? Did Cat leave her prior husband - the girls' father - for the current husband?
    We may never know. Amazon.co.uk doesn't even have a date for it to be published (yet she was set a deadline...hmmm...one might think that it will never appear at all).

I liked Stacie at the beginning of this series, but now she's coming across as racist. She needs to stop calling others racist especially when she was talking about her fritends who own the only "black owned" winery in Wash, DC. To me, that seemed like a racist comment.
    Or at least racially obsessive. I mean it is interesting on one level, but you have to add that seemingly random remark to t the rest of her remarks ("Chocolate City" - why would a person of colour seek to remind us all of Mayor Crackhead Barry's days???????????????).

Along with Mary's "integrated salons" remark (aren't they? My local Hair Cuttery is). And Mary's husboy Rich's "Is this where the white guys leave the room" remark. And Cat's "I'm sew no' racist" remark. And Cat's horrible imitation of somebody pretending to be Tyra Banks. And it all adds up to a totally false impression of DC as a racially obsessed city of awkward people.

I guess we can stack that up against what (after Obama) would be the most horribly shocking racial 'thing' even twenty years ago, Linda Erk's boyfriend Ebong (the mandingo, ravishing a white woman?!?), which nobody seems to find particuarly startling.

(Of course he is (a) Canadian and (b) "clean and well-spoken" - you have to ask Uncle Joe Biden what that means, I'm just borrowing it.)

Mary is seeming like the nicest of this bunch.
    So far. I love the way she habla Espanyole to the maid-a. Es tan intercultural and internacional!

Michaele and Tareq are total poseurs and Tareq seems like a little worm. Thguy smiles an awful lot, but there's something very cringe worthy about him. And that's not a good thing at all.
    If you scratch the false veneer from Michaele and Tareq you will uncover the real fakeness hiding beneath.

The house they are posed in front of is not theirs. (They own a much more modest house out in Front Royal, where they've not paid their HOA dues.)

The barn didn't hold a lot of their wine because all the vines are dead and the place is closed (no you can't roll out to Hume, VA, and take a visit, if you go to their website this is what you see:

Hospitality/Special Events/Tours Phone :
    GRAND REOPENING WILL BE LATE FALL 2010
    Fall is only a few weeks away and what winery closes for 'the season?'

I guess they forgot this:

Oasis is open daily, year-round from 11am to 5pm ( Monday thru Thursday) - 7pm on weekends ( Friday thru Sunday). We are closed only on Christmas and New Years Day.
    Their 'Oasis Store' links you to an aggregator from which you cannot find a way to buy Oasis wines.

Tareq lies and calls himself the Founder which is utter BS and he knows it - his dad founded the vinyard:

The leadership and science of our winemaking comes from our Founder, Tareq Salahi, a graduate of the University of California, Davis which is the the worlds leading educational institution for the worlds wine industry; Mr. Tareq Salahi sub-focused in sparkling wines and has extensive experience working Taittinger, Domaine Carneros of Napa Valley, Australia, South Africa and returned to the family vineyards to take Oasis to a new level. Under Mr. Tareq Salahis leadership - Oasis was rated Top 10 in the World in 2000!
    (Rated Top 10 in what, by whom, is never divulged.)

The site goes on to burble:

[Tareq] understands that the wine experience is critical to the wine lover enjoying the overall passionate experience and surroundings to include dinning and other enjoyable activities that surround wine.
    The experience is critical to the experience? Does the copywriter also write for Kim Jong-Il?

I file them with Danielle under "Did they honestly think this wouldn't come out?"

soooooo, Stacie's birth mother, who has her own family now doesn't want to have a relationship with the child she gave up for adoption decades ago and it's because she's racist?

+ Reply to Thread