+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Re: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4043724;
    They can sure drop the racist stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4043920;
    ...Stacie...needs to stop calling others racist...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;4043968;
    ...Why go there?...
    Well, it's going to be kind of tricky to discuss variances in viewer reactions to this show without breaking the rules of the forum, but leave it to me to be fool enough to try.

Wish me luck.

Let's start with that forum rule. It's not unique, lots of forums have something similar, and another thing those forums tend to have in common is a particular focus that is not in any way related to ethnic divisions or any other soggy vegetable in that unwholesome stew that we call "social ills."

Typically, these are forums focused on fashion, or polymer clay jewelry, care and feeding of clarinets - or reality shows!

In almost every culture, children are taught some form of social interaction guidelines that center, as all etiquette does, on doing your best to make sure that those around you have a nice time.

And in almost every culture, this includes taking extra care to discuss things like politics and religion, maybe for people who are health care professionals we'd add something like details of diseases and surgeries - in an appropriate venue.

This rule is so universal because it is almost universally true that some subjects have a high potential of making at least somebody at any random social gathering not have a nice time.

Forums that exist for the purposes of discussing fashion, reality shows, etc. have that in common with offline dinner parties and book clubs and things.

Racism and ilk are belief-based phenomena, and they have that in common with religion, and in some cultures, also with politics.

Because there is almost invariably a fairly wide to massive chasm of variance in the way people with some attitudes, opinions and beliefs perceive themselves and the way they are perceived by people who maybe have a different life experience, and/or who happen to have a long and/or marked history of being impacted by those beliefs, it's really unlikely that any discussion of the subject between the person with the belief, etc, and the person with a wildly different perspective is going to be either useful or productive for either participant, and almost certain that it will be unpleasant for the other guests, regardless of their own beliefs, perspective, experience, being impacted, etc.

Regardless of our own personal feelings, beliefs, situation, whatever, we don't use social gatherings - or their online equivalent - as an opportunity to identify people with the belief, "call them out," demonstrate to other people that they have the belief by "tripping them up," or cackle triumphantly when something "just slips out."

Nor are we going to whisper behind our hands, or engage in sotto voce utterances calculated to draw attention to that person's belief, get involved in debates about anybody's conflicted feelings about the belief, or the way anybody perceives themselves vis a vis the way people with different perspectives see them.

Their belief, their participation in behaviors and activities that impact us, is not going to cease or change as a result of us doing any of those things, anyway.

That's one of those roads they gotta walk all by themselves.

No matter how much noblesse oblige may run in our veins, our sole obligation to the greater good in a social gathering is to be polite and follow that social gathering rule we learned when we were 4, and use those occasions to discuss different topics, things that we do have in common, get the person on either side of us to tell all about themselves, and generally do our part to increase the chances that everyone present will have a nice time.

That is the polite thing to do.

People on reality shows do not always do the polite thing, even if they were taught how to when they were little.

Reality show producers do not want them to do the polite thing, in order to increase their chances of having a nice time at their very own villa in Tuscany.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4044252;
    Yes, I thought Stacie was referring to the amount she sold in a given year.
    I do think she does well in RE and I did think her house was nice. I really like the kitchen - haven't seen taht much of the rest of the house.
    As far as the prices in DC, it's pretty high - or at least it had been 'til all of the country dropped in price.
    The 30 million may also have referred to the net worth of the homes she'd sold as opposed to what she actually made.

As far as her house goes, maybe they have a smaller house filled with nicer things. There are only four of them living there right?

RE people talk in terms of sales - so $30 mil is probably the home prices' overall.

What I saw of the home was nice.
    Home size is usually relative to the area you live in.
    For example, if you live in CA, you might have a very small home that costs a million.
    Conversely, you may live in a less affluent area where a mansion could go for as little as $200 - $300K.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

I've read that Stacie's house is a former church.

I doubt that Stacie's home reflects her income. At 2% she's grossing 600k a year and her hubby probably does well also. My guess is they could afford to live with all the luxury Mike & Tark pretend to have.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4042932;
    I don't like it either. Between that and the goofy Michaele (think that's her real name?) I'm not sure I can stick this one out. If they ramp up the fake racism, I'm out. There's enough real racism in the world, I don't need to see Bravo's take on it.
    I agree with you there - it's needless.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4043620;
    I was going to add that I, too, disliked the racist drama that's seems to be prevalent in each episode so far and then had a thought that maybe that's just what Bravo intends to do since it will annoy so many of us.
    That and bringing in the political aspect too... All things guaranteed to cause a buzz, good or bad.
    All publicity is good publicity?

On another point, I really didn't understand Cat complaining to her husband how overworked and sleep deprived she was while he was working out of town. Seemed a bit one sided and unfair. To me, she "chose" to have children, who are 24/7 job, (and they're not his children) and she "chose" to write a book and be dangerously close to not meeting a deadline, which has to do her time management.
    Was she just looking for sympathy or blaming him for not being around to help her?
    I'm confused.
    She does need help with that book - she picked an editor whose command of the English language is so developed that she wanted to make sure the book reflected 'the enormity' of what poor(!) Cat had gone through.
    Last edited by AngloAm; 08-23-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fix tags

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4043724;
    They can sure drop the racist stuff. Did you notice when Michelle and Stacie were shopping in Paris, and Michelle had numerous packages - where the heck do the Salahis get their money? The winery is bankrupt. Do they get paid for showing up at social events, I wonder?

I live five miles from McLean, Va. and sometimes shop there. I shop at the 'real' McLean with grocery stores, gas stations, drug stores, book stores, etc.
    Where are they? I've been to Mclean to "Something Special" by Giant, which on balance isn't all that.

I've never seen anyone famous shopping in McLean because they probably have hired help to do mundane stuff like grocery shopping. I've never been to the expensive estates where Mary and her family live.
    Isn't half of McLean in Arlington?

I work in D.C. but have never met any of the people shown on the program because I'm just an ordinary person and don't travel in the same circles - which is just fine with me. But I find it fascinating to watch the show on TV. The Dupont Circle subway stop where Cat's husband took her photo - yes, I've used that stop.
    Bouffant Circle! I've seen less of Georgetown than I thought I would (but filming there would be a nightmare). Some shots I think of Metro Center. Apparently Cat is in Chevy Chase. Lucky her. :/

Funny, they don't show much of Hybla Valley, Anacostia, or Capital Heights. My own College Park is nowhere in evidence.

I'm sorry for Cat's daughters because they seemed to like their step-father, but now the girls have moved back to England to be with their biological father, apparently. It's always the children who lose the most.
    Especially English ones who all want to be American ones.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;4043968;

This is all I will say about this show. I watched it for the first time and found all of these people somewhat weird (especially the party crashers) and dull.

I thought she said she sold $30mil in homes? Is that in her entire career? Is DC area a high cost of living area?? Her house is very small and average for someone who sold $30mil in homes.
    Oh, DC is indeed a high cost of living area and if it's indeed in the District it's a good one. (I love how she's all 'Chocolate City' but lives in lilly-white Northwest. She doesn't seem to hang in Anacostia or Benning Terrace. I'm sure she can identify Chuck Brown and has eaten at Ben's but...her street cred is kinda brittle.

I thought Mary was kind of rude to Rosa (is that her house keepers name?) and thought it was strange that she has a house full of children old enough for responsibility (like picking up their dogs poop and vacuuming up their dogs hair) yet she wants to have Rosa come and do it all more days of the week? I'm glad her husband said something about it.

Watching one episode is enough for me and won't be watching anymore.
    Mary likes to be INTERCULTURAL by speaking SPANISH (sort of) to Rosa, which makes her HAPPY and keeps her GIGGLING. Therefore the MORE she has Rosa around the BETTER. Directing Rosa's WORK give Mary SOMETHING TO DO. Which is GOOD because otherwise she'd reflect on her near total USELESSNESS. I kinda like Rich her toyboy provider though. For all that he's happy to be treated like a plush toy plaything he's smarter than he appears or she notices.

I'm wondering what this show is really going to be about. So far I see nothing
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

+ Reply to Thread