+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of D.C.

FORT Fanatic

Re: The Real Housewives of D.C.

They can sure drop the racist stuff. Did you notice when Michelle and Stacie were shopping in Paris, and Michelle had numerous packages - where the heck do the Salahis get their money? The winery is bankrupt. Do they get paid for showing up at social events, I wonder?

I live five miles from McLean, Va. and sometimes shop there. I shop at the 'real' McLean with grocery stores, gas stations, drug stores, book stores, etc. I've never seen anyone famous shopping in McLean because they probably have hired help to do mundane stuff like grocery shopping. I've never been to the expensive estates where Mary and her family live. I work in D.C. but have never met any of the people shown on the program because I'm just an ordinary person and don't travel in the same circles - which is just fine with me. But I find it fascinating to watch the show on TV. The Dupont Circle subway stop where Cat's husband took her photo - yes, I've used that stop. It's fun to try and identify various locales.

It's so misleading when they show that imposing stone house and imply that Michelle and her husband live there. They don't. They live in a much, much more modest house. I've read several times about it. That's just wrong to imply stuff like that.

I'm finding Cat pretty hard to take. So while the series was being filmed, she was writing a book about finding her 'lost love' and by the time the series ended, they had split? How AWKWARD. I checked the Amazon.com website for Britain, and it indicates she has a book called "Inbox Full" that was scheduled to be published on 3/4/10. However, it's not available, although you can sign up to be notified when it's available for ordering - like never, perhaps

I'm sorry for Cat's daughters because they seemed to like their step-father, but now the girls have moved back to England to be with their biological father, apparently. It's always the children who lose the most.

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;4042692;
    Lovely post!
    Thanks, AngloAm! and Thanks to thedragonlady for clarifying on the Arthur Godfrey fame timeline!

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4042903;
    ...In my opinion, no one should have their children on...
    My problem with kids on these shows is the "consent" thing.

US laws recognize that minor children are not able to give their informed consent to everything from acquiring a financial debt to sexual intimacy with an adult.

Reality show producers are required to obtain signed "releases" from anybody whose image will appear on the show, in which they give the show consent to use that image.

I guess you could argue that it is inconsistent that the same country permits parents to consent to reality show participation on behalf of their minor children, but laws tend to reflect culture, and "money changes everything" acts as trump card in so many cultures that you could also argue that it is an aspect of human nature independent of culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Oompaloopa;4043564;
    ...I too posted many moons ago how the exploitation of kids was bordering on child abuse beginning S-2 of the OC franchise...
    Oh yes, the Aqua Angels!

(Since it is considered bad manners to "speak ill of the dead," I guess we're not allowed to call him "creepy old Lew" any more).

Quote Originally Posted by Oompaloopa;4043564;
    the Salahi's make my skin crawl.
    They were born to be reality show characters the way Robert De Niro was born to sing, the way Don King was born to exemplify Terrible Hair Choices, the way Kenny G was born to exemplify Terrible Hair Choices AND play the saxophone.

We may not know the name of the covert Bravo operative who returned from that 1st reconnaissance mission into the mean salons of Washington with orders to sniff out Hamsters Most Likely, who discovered this pair of prizes, but we do know that whoever s/he is, that will be one hard-to-top career triumph.

Ditto for the marketing genius who thought up Operation Party Crash, and double ditto if the same person cast the Salahis in it.

It was a Cultural Fit Powerball, with just the right Golden Drop of subliminal Retsyn (ouch. Obscure allusion to 60s breath mint commercial? Really?)

And now, a moment of silence to acknowledge the awesome power of television - even really bad television. No other force, man-made or natural, could so instantly transform a couple of lacklustre practitioners of petty sleaze to Defcon 5 Level Public Enemies.

He, whose principal resume bullets include a spurt of short-term employment related to implementation of business decisions on behalf of some US "key industries," and an equally non-stellar attempt to run the family wine business, the latter culminating in a lawsuit-embellished family squabble, appears to excel only at playing polo.

She, a retail cosmetics counter clerk by profession, had hoped to obtain wealth and fame by becoming a fashion model, but believe it or not, not every blonde ectomorph who auditions is cast, and she will be neither the first nor the last pretty girl who, after an accurate evaluation and assessment of her own natural talents and aptitudes vis a vis the marketplace, shrewdly determines that her best chance of acquiring a large bank balance is marriage to an already-wealthy man.

The current chorus of US viewers flooding the internets with outraged calls for their imprisonment, tarring and feathering and extermination by live burning are predictable (and I'm gonna guess also predicted) and consistent with the culture, but that any two people of such spectacular mediocrity would inspire such a tsunami of any sentiment among any population is such an incongruous absurdity - and such a monumental feat of marketing, that I predict it will be the opening chapter in textbooks on the subject unto the 7th generation.

It's also, judging from these first episodes, anyway, the DC franchise's one chance at getting high enough ratings to placate the suits in the accounting department.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4043620;
    I...disliked the racist drama...and bringing in the political aspect...
    Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4042932;
    ...racism...I don't need to see Bravo's take on it...
    And that's why the Salahis are so crucial. As previously bleated, people watch "reality" shows to be entertained - as an escape, ironically, from reality.

Real Housewives viewers are not tuning in all stoked and pillow-propped and popcorned up for a documentary about ethnic divisions and societal ills.

Surely even the lowliest Bravo intern knows this, so probably about 98% of the footage will never see air.

And even the (in my opinion, stultifyingly ho-hum for a Housewives show) 2% that does make it is getting comments like those above, when it's not getting ones like these:

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4043706;
    ...I didn't even watch it last night. Not sure if I care enough to catch up...
    Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4043710;
    ...Believe me you are not missing anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;4038336;
    ...episode stories haven't been really exciting either and I'm just not feeling it. I'm ready for some RHOOC action.
    Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4038326;
    ...Maybe the Salahi's will bring down the entire HW's franchise...
    It's pretty impressive gamble. As ranted above, the success or failure of the DC edition rests entirely on their presence!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

I am so glad I am not watching this!

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4043724;
    Did you notice when Michelle and Stacie were shopping in Paris, and Michelle had numerous packages - where the heck do the Salahis get their money? The winery is bankrupt. Do they get paid for showing up at social events, I wonder?

I'm finding Cat pretty hard to take. So while the series was being filmed, she was writing a book about finding her 'lost love' and by the time the series ended, they had split? How AWKWARD.
    Hey - I believe the Salahis are doing what Theresa and JuicyJoe did - used their credit cards TO THE MAXXXXXXXXXX. Idiots.

And Cat and the photog husband already split up? Huh. He was too good for her anyways. Did you see how she was soooooo not enthused nor excited that he did indeed show up for her cover photo shoot? She's a real gem, that one.

Last edited by Maidstone; 08-20-2010 at 02:23 PM.

I was a bit confused about the book that Cat is writing / has written.
    Was it about her romance with her now current husband - the White House photographer? Did Cat leave her prior husband - the girls' father - for the current husband?
    I liked Stacie at the beginning of this series, but now she's coming across as racist. She needs to stop calling others racist especially when she was talking about her fritends who own the only "black owned" winery in Wash, DC. To me, that seemed like a racist comment.

Mary is seeming like the nicest of this bunch.
    Michaele and Tareq are total poseurs and Tareq seems like a little worm. Thguy smiles an awful lot, but there's something very cringe worthy about him. And that's not a good thing at all.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4043920;
    I was a bit confused about the book that Cat is writing / has written.
    Was it about her romance with her now current husband - the White House photographer? Did Cat leave her prior husband - the girls' father - for the current husband?
    I liked Stacie at the beginning of this series, but now she's coming across as racist. She needs to stop calling others racist especially when she was talking about her fritends who own the only "black owned" winery in Wash, DC. To me, that seemed like a racist comment.

Mary is seeming like the nicest of this bunch.
    Michaele and Tareq are total poseurs and Tareq seems like a little worm. Thguy smiles an awful lot, but there's something very cringe worthy about him. And that's not a good thing at all.

Stacie does seem really caught up in being black. maybe I don't understand because I am white, but everything to her seems to be all about being black or other people not being black. On the first episode, I just wanted to svream at her that you can think Tyra banks is an attention W**** and disagree with Obama's policies without being a racist.

I am confused about the whole Cat thing too

I don't know what the hell to think about the Salahis. I get exhausted watching that woman. I hope when they show the incident, we will figure out if the gate crashing was a bravo setup, as many believe, or if these people pulled the wool over the crew's eyes and made them think they had an invite, which I am more inclined to believe

As far as the Salahi thing, I don't much care whether Bravo staged the White House affair or the Salahis did.
    Either way, it makes them look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4043815;
    I am so glad I am not watching this!

This is all I will say about this show. I watched it for the first time and found all of these people somewhat weird (especially the party crashers) and dull.

Disclaimer: I only watched one show which I think was aired last week

The Crasher are just....poor excuses for human beings and, IMO, Michaele is lying, maybe in denial, when she says she doesn't have an eating disorder. Notice when she talked about it in the interview, after Lynda brought it up to their friend, she looked down. Isn't that one of the sure signs someone is not being truthful. What was up with them saying they were going to get wine and than serving beer?? What's up with him getting her a horse when she said she hasn't ridden since she was a little girl (she made is sound like she had no idea why her husband got her this horse)?? They are very creepy.

Lynda seems way too snobby.

I am unimpressed with Staci because of two things I saw:

-1. Her reaction to when Cat was talking about liking Bush and not Obama. It is Cat's opinion, which many share, and is entitled too. Just because she is in a room with Obama supporters doesn't mean she should hide it.

-2. Staci said that she was certain the reason why Cat felt so uncomfortable at her house and why she left early was because she was in a room full of black people. Why go there? Why couldn't it have been she was in a room full of people she didn't know and felt uncomfortable?? I'm quiet and uncomfortable in a room full of people I don't know, whether they are white, black, Chinese, Japaneses, male, female, etc it hasn't nothing to do with race.

I thought she said she sold $30mil in homes? Is that in her entire career? Is DC area a high cost of living area?? Her house is very small and average for someone who sold $30mil in homes.

Saying the above, Cat is very rude and not at all likeable.

I thought Mary was kind of rude to Rosa (is that her house keepers name?) and thought it was strange that she has a house full of children old enough for responsibility (like picking up their dogs poop and vacuuming up their dogs hair) yet she wants to have Rosa come and do it all more days of the week? I'm glad her husband said something about it.

Watching one episode is enough for me and won't be watching anymore.

I think what she said was that she sold $30 million last year or for some time period.

Yes, I thought Stacie was referring to the amount she sold in a given year.
    I do think she does well in RE and I did think her house was nice. I really like the kitchen - haven't seen taht much of the rest of the house.
    As far as the prices in DC, it's pretty high - or at least it had been 'til all of the country dropped in price.

+ Reply to Thread