+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Re: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Oompaloopa;4038534;
    ...childlish fighting and screaming ...back-stabbing, lies, and lives being portrayed other than what is authentic...
    Yes, they seem to have the recipe for success down pat.

I think the entire franchise will have run its course in the not too distant future.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe Abrego & Cronin will buy it, and give it a format lift: Rent a big house in Malibu or somewhere, put all the Housewives in it with unlimited alcohol 24 & 7, and have them compete for the love of Doug E. Fresh or somebody and 1000 hours of free legal services.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

Is CatWoman the one w/the heavy British accent? Whatever her name, her accent is strange. It sounds like it's Cockney-based, with an over-the-top attempt to sound upper class British, and it comes out sounding very odd, not English upper class at all. Anyone here know the nuances of British accents?

The Salahi woman- we're supposed to detest her, right? Well, I do. I couldn't stand to be in the same room with her for more than five seconds, the bleating twit!
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Dear Bahurupiya and SwissMiss 150:

(I can't do multiple quotes so I'm trying it this way)

Point well taken re Mary and the Kennedys. I guess I didn't consider her attending as a child so you're probably right. And she has every right to claim her name to fame, knowing the Kennedys. I know I sure tell a lot of people (anyone who will listen) that I shook Bobby Kennedy's hand while campaigning in So California.

But as to Arthur Godfrey, I must differ somewhat. He was a radio personality in the 40's and became a television personality in the '50's. By 1960, he was no longer in favor and somewhat forgotten. I'm 64 and I barely remember him except that my parents watched his show on TV. I can guarantee that Mary is not as old as I am, darn it.

Not that any of this really matters. I know I tend to think of them thru my own experiences and perceptions and I'm probably way way off.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4038961;
    But as to Arthur Godfrey, I must differ somewhat. He was a radio personality in the 40's and became a television personality in the '50's. By 1960, he was no longer in favor and somewhat forgotten. I'm 64 and I barely remember him except that my parents watched his show on TV. I can guarantee that Mary is not as old as I am, darn it.
    I think it's interesting that Mary is Arthur Godfrey's granddaughter. For those of us old enough to remember Arthur Godfrey, I think it IS a bit of a claim to fame, cause he was a hugely popular star in the 40s and 50s. I remember Arthur Godfrey very well, and watched both of his shows - Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts and Arthur Godfrey and Friends. His Talent Scouts show was on the air for 12 years. That's a long time! According to Wikipedia, here's a partial list of some of the stars that were contestants on his show: Pat Boone, The Chordettes, The McGuire Sisters, Tony Bennett, The Blackwood Brothers, Lenny Bruce, Roy Clark, Rosemary Clooney, Florian ZaBach, Wally Cox, Vic Damone, The Diamonds, Eddie Fisher, Connie Francis, Don Knotts, Steve Lawrence, Al Martino, Barbara McNair, Marian McPartland, Johnny Nash, Leslie Uggams, Jonathan Winters and Patsy Cline.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 08-16-2010 at 07:54 AM.

I can't believe I haven't caved-in & watched this show.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4039376;
    I watched the first 15 minutes of the opening show. That was all I could take!
    "Never Give Up" ~~~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;4039065;
    I think it's interesting that Mary is Arthur Godfrey's granddaughter. For those of us old enough to remember Arthur Godfrey, I think it IS a bit of a claim to fame, cause he was a hugely popular star in the 40s and 50s. I remember Arthur Godfrey very well, and watched both of his shows - Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts and Arthur Godfrey and Friends. His Talent Scouts show was on the air for 12 years. That's a long time! According to Wikipedia, here's a partial list of some of the stars that were contestants on his show: Pat Boone, The Chordettes, The McGuire Sisters, Tony Bennett, The Blackwood Brothers, Lenny Bruce, Roy Clark, Rosemary Clooney, Florian ZaBach, Wally Cox, Vic Damone, The Diamonds, Eddie Fisher, Connie Francis, Don Knotts, Steve Lawrence, Al Martino, Barbara McNair, Marian McPartland, Johnny Nash, Leslie Uggams, Jonathan Winters and Patsy Cline.
    Arthur Godfrey??? Good Lord, now, THERE'S a name out of the past. Dennis Day. Can't believe that I remember his show was sponsored by Lipton Soup. Gawd -- I need to get a life.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    Tom Hanks - A League of Their Own

Arthur Godfrey was bigger than life back in the day.
    Then, he fell out of favor.
    The movie, A Face in the Crowd, was based on him.
    I remember my Mom telling me how the network had left the microphone on and it captured Mr. Godfrey's very negative comments about his audience. That was well depicted in the movie by Andy Griffith's character.

I think Mary looks very much like her grandfather.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4039376;
    Me either! I have read all the posts, and nothing sparks my interest. I'm mad at myself for watching more than a few minutes of Bachelor Pad.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;4039881;
    Me either! I have read all the posts, and nothing sparks my interest. I'm mad at myself for watching more than a few minutes of Bachelor Pad.
    Ha ha ha, chitex!!! I made up my mind beforehand that I definitely wasn't watching Bachelor Pad, and haven't. But it was easy to stay away, because except for Gwen (Aaron's season, I think), there literally wasn't one other person that I had any interest in seeing. And Mike Fleiss obviously brought back some of the troublemakers for spice --- so the thought of seeing all the fights and snarking didn't interest me at all. But I have been watching RHODC, and it's okay -- not great, just okay. I find it interesting that Bravo found some truly interesting 'characters' to put into the mix, but somehow, to me, they're not particularly compelling. So I'm watching, but with a much lower interest level than, say RHONY or RHONJ. As far as the other RH franchises go, I couoldn't stand RHOA and refused to watch after the middle of the 2nd episode, and I'm pretty much over RHOOC. I'm curious about RHOBH and will definitely, at least, check it out.

+ Reply to Thread