+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Re: The Real Housewives of D.C.

Clicking around the internets, "Cat" seems to be one of those love her or hate her characters - her admiration for a beloved political figure was appreciated by the predictable half of US viewers, while her comment that "all British children aspire to be American children" seems to have resonated a little less with the rest of the world, some even going so far as to disagree with her outright, asserting that British children are quite pleased to be British and do not long to be another nationality.

I tend to agree with those who have questioned whether the show will really be a good cultural fit with a large segment of the existing Housewives fans - (noting with interest those who have demonstrated, intentionally or un, that is is so not!) - and while I can symptathize with those who have expressed the hope that it not become "too political," I don't know if it would be possible for this show to not be perceived as being "political."

In fact, I predict it will require extensive post-production to keep it from being labeled as "inflammatory," which might not be good for either the franchise or the network.

Politics is a hot button topic anywhere, and in the US, both politics and politicians tend to inspire a level of fervor generally reserved for religious beliefs. Indeed, for many Americans there is little, if any sharp division, and a lot of overlap between the two.

People watch these shows for the skankiness and schadenfreude, not to be reminded of bandaids on sucking societal chest wounds, longstanding ethnic and cultural divisions, or the resulting herds of elephants tromping around the TV, all inevitable for any show set in Washington, even if the only cast member with even a tenuous claim to anything like a "political connection" is the dude that takes PR stills of the current on-camera talent.

I guess Bravo gets props for going there at all.

My guess is that they were maybe targeting an older audience, and hoping that the prevailing viewer reaction would be more in accord with an offline comment I overheard:

At a local diner in a small southern town, a plump polyester-clad matron, complete with bangs comfortably curled round a pink sponge hair roller, thoughtfully removed a food particle from her teeth with a fingernail sporting the dying patches of bright pink polish and examined it carefully before wiping it onto the edge of her plate.

The DC ladies, she declared, are "real classy," and went on to explain that they represent her "ideal America."

At least we jaded Snark extremists get our usual helping of the delicious characteristic Real Housewife staple of people with dramatically annoying personalities committing Cris Abrego show-worthy hijinks and lamentable fashion choices while tossing around not-so-subtle insinuations about how superior they are to everybody else.
    Last edited by bahurupiya; 08-14-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: fix typo

FORT Fogey

Nice insights, bahurupiya. Welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4037108;
    Nice insights, bahurupiya. Welcome to the board.
    Thank You! It is my privilege to welcome the board to my monitor!

If there is an Official Place I was supposed to do that, I apologize for missing it.

I've lurked for so long, it just seemed natural to commence holding forth without benefit of ceremonies.

FORT Fanatic

I just read a delightfully snarky blog in "The Washington Post" (sorry I don't know how to post a link). It confirmed my suspicions that the estate used for the women to play polo is NOT that of the Salahis. It was borrowed for the shoot; they live in a much more modest house since the family wine business (Oasis Vineyards) went bankrupt. That's why they served beer instead of wine; there is not much wine left.

According to wikipedia, Cat's husband (or should I say former husband?) works for Newsweek. Maybe he worked for Obama during the campaign but apparently not now.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bahurupiya;4037151;
    Thank You! It is my privilege to welcome the board to my monitor!

If there is an Official Place I was supposed to do that, I apologize for missing it.

I've lurked for so long, it just seemed natural to commence holding forth without benefit of ceremonies.
    Absolutely!

I just remembered something that I liked about this show. I liked that Stacie's house looked like a real home! It didn't look like it was staged, like so many of the homes, on these shows, appear to be. It was nice seeing personal items sitting around. So many of the houses look like everything is new and like the houses were decorated to look "perfect". The OC homes are the most staged and then there was Lynne's that was almost empty. I didn't get a good look at the other DC places. They may be real homes too.

I think Lynne's house on OC looked almost empty because of how broke she was

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;4037562;
    I think Lynne's house on OC looked almost empty because of how broke she was
    Yes but I also feel that she didn't really live there. I mean they lived there but it was only for the show. They probably had boxes of their possessions in the garage but they wouldn't be the right style for the lifestyle that they wanted to portray. They couldn't afford to stage the house so they just left it empty.

I'm really enjoying the many intelligent and insightful posts here about the DC wives. I agree that it might be difficult to keep politics out of show but I'm hoping they do. There's enough to discuss without people's politics getting in the way, and, possibly coloring our opinions of these people.

I'm enjoying this show so far. I'm delighted to see another show where the fashions, homes, make up are tasteful, like RHNYC. I may not like all of their choices but they're far better than anything I've seen on RHOC, RHOA or RHONJ, which tend to be crass and in poor taste.

I like them all for various reasons....and some of those reasons are purely for making fun of them Right now, I'm fascinated by Mary, this woman/child who seems more representative of someone from the '50's or '60's, who's constantly carrying around her wine glass, maybe to just take the edge off of the real world? Her claim to have spent lots of time at the Kennedy residence(s) actully says nothing at all. She's far too young to have spent time w/any main character Kennedy and who knows if they're even still owned by Kennedys. But maybe that's the only colorful thing she has in her past, besides Arthur Godfrey and even then, you'd have to be older to even know who he is. (Unfortunately, I am that old. )
    So I'm enjoying the show. To me, it's today's example of yesterday's soap operas... crazy, bitchy, silly, conceited and any and all of the other types of characters that are usually found on those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4036626;

Tareq - Michaele's husband - reminds me of that kid we all had in our class at elem. school. He was the one who halways had that silly smirk on his face.
    He reminds me of the fat kid that always got picked on and was socially awkward and possibly stalked girls he liked in high school, who grew up and made money and is THRILLED to death that Michaele has anything to do with him. His appeal to her is money money money and the presents he can buy her. If he didn't initially have money, I doubt she would have looked twice at him.

+ Reply to Thread