+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3127Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Re: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

I happen to like Joyce. I find her to have more restraint than most people have when dealing with someone of Brandi's ilk. If Brandi treated me the way she has Joyce I would be in jail,lol. I would have stomped a mud hole and walked it dry with Brandi!
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think Joyce was extra spicy at that dinner because her husband was there. Her behavior, imo, was ridiculous. I agree that Brandy's comment was more than inapprpriate but racist, I don't think so, nor do I think she was being bullied. She acts as a professional victim and I think she was just plain rude. Her husband, well, just stupid. What was he gonna do? Jump all the women. Joyce thinks too highly of herself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 4
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

I don't particularly care for Joyce, however, I have to support her, because the treatment that Brandi dished out to her at the weekend get away was so outrageous, that it warrants it, IMO. Joyce may have been super sensitive a couple of times and that annoyed me, but OMG, Brandi verbally abused Joyce on many occasions over that weekend. And that's just what we saw. Joyce said on WWHL that it was much worse. I believe her.

Joyce was the hostess for the get away and Brandi talked to her like dirt. Calling her a dirty pig!!!! Unreal. I don't really have any opinion about Joyce's husband, but if anyone called my husband names, the way Brandi called Joyce names, I would not be civil to them. I would be outraged at them to say the least. I think Brandi and her husband were very patient with the Brandi. Brandi has gone past the whack-a-doodle stage and now is at the former Kim Richards stage or maybe worse.

At the very least, Lisa could have said, "Speak your mind Brandi, but cut out the profanity. You're in a public place with decent people as MY guests." But no, Lisa defends her. I'm now ticked at Lisa and she's normally my favorite. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Stand up for fair treatment of your acquaintances, even if you don't consider them your friend.

And Yolanda who is always acting so above it all and being so classy, just condones Brandi the queen of trash. Go figure.

IMO, it is bullying.
    Bullying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think if Joyce didn't act so caddy and would get real, she could gain a lot of fans right now. Too bad she's losing a good opportunity. Still, I have to give her a break. She's been attacked a lot and no one seems to care. OH, i almost forgot.....it is scripted. lol
    Punkin, mina and MsDiva2007 like this.

What strikes me here is that these women are jostling for one-upmanship; mostly they're catty as all hell. One person hears grating insults, another person hears somewhat humorous repartee and gives it a pass. All want camera time for their "position". If it was just this one horrible dinner scene, I'd just say they all had a bit much to drink.... but none of these women have attractive personalities, nope, not even the elegant and righteous Lisa. I know this is unkind, but I think we're looking at lipstick on pigs.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

I have a theory that men should never get in the middle of a cat fight; he might end up with an unintentional castration. Joyce's husband went down to Brandi's lever & she is so much better at playing a bitter shrew than he is. He lost that battle.
    I am beginning to believe this is a really stupid show.
    Prism likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

You mean there was a time you considered any of the housewives shows to be anything but stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    You mean there was a time you considered any of the housewives shows to be anything but stupid?
    That's a good question. I'm not sure what I expect. I have watched Housewives of New York and Beverly Hills since day one. I also watched Housewives of Orange County from season Two until a couple of seasons ago when I had to stop. It got too horrible. I have no interest in it now at all. I wonder if Beverly Hills is going that direction. I've tried to watch HW of Atlanta and HW of NJ, but detest them both. I have zero interest in the ones from Miami or DC.

I think that regardless of how outrageous your villains are on these shows, you need some good guys or ladies. You needs someone to be valid, rational, intelligent and nonpetty. I think that BRAVO underestimates that and discourages the characters from being that way.

I suspect that eventually the fans will grow weary of the same old cheap, vulgar, mindless, mean girl insulting fights and drift away. Then the shows will fade away. Not such a loss IMO.
    Coco46 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I disagree. I do think that Bravo discourages rational, intelligent and non-petty women. Those are usually the ones who are not asked back for another season. And more often than not, I'm glad they are not asked back. The women who behave well, and as if they are aware they are on camera and need to set a good example, are very boring to watch. That said, to Bravo's credit, when a woman goes WAY over the top in her fighting and petty behavior, and gets to the point of not having any friends on the show (Gretchen from OC, Kelly from NYC) they usually get booted too. I don't think it makes sense to watch these shows from a perspective of real life, and people who behave as I would want friends to behave. They are entertainment. The women know they have to create a character and a niche in order to continue on the shows. Both good behavior and horribly outrageous bad behavior get your removed from the cast, and they deliver.
    prhoshay likes this.

I guess it depends on your taste. I happen to enjoy seeing the behind the scenes goings on of smart, accomplished women living in places like NYC and Beverly Hills. I like seeing their ups and downs, challenges, family ordeals and social ineraction. I think that is amusing. But, there has to be a certain amount of respect for them as people to hold my interest. If I don't care about them, then I don't care to watch them. This causes me to lose interest in the character and the show.

I can take flawed, but rotten inside and out is just not amusing to me. Arguments over silly things is one thing, but direct, verbal attacks are another and I think that Brandi has crossed the line with Joyce on this. And then the others condon it? It makes me lose interest in them. Are they that weak?

Maybe they are trying to cause a big physical fight. I don't know, but I just don't look forward to the show the way I used to.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think that the show that you describes is also interesting and worthwhile. That's why I loved it when OWN did a behind the scenes show the final year of the Oprah show showing how it was all put together. But a show like that is not the Housewives, and I don't think it ever has been. I firmly believe that when the first season of the OC started, and the opening talked about not knowing what goes on behind the gates, the intention was always to show the price that is paid for living a "glamorous" life. I don't think the show as ever intended to be aspirational and inspiring. I think it was always intended to show the backstabbing, the pressures of debt, and how fake things could be just behind the surface of glamour. They have certainly evolved and amped up the drama and fighting after they saw that it worked with the audience. (yes, I know that it doesn't work with ALL of the audience, but it works for the majority which is what they are going for) But I think the show has always intended to show the dark side of wealth, and they succeed. For me, it confirms that I'd rather have my simple middle class life than to sacrifice things like security and truly good friends for expensive cars, beautiful jewels, and enormous homes. I like the way they do the shows, because it depicts a fantasy life and confirms that I don't really want it after all.
    prhoshay likes this.

+ Reply to Thread