+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3016Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    I've always thought that calling anyone a slut legitimates the category "slut." And I think that the existence of that category as a word designating certain women -- and by the way, lots of people are a whole lot more undisciminating about who they call that term-- & among other categories-- is demeaning to all women.

I don't care if Brandi is willing to sign on to the disrespect and second class citizenship of women-- I'm not.

That's why I would never call anyone that. No matter what.

Cavendish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Wanna be a slut? Acknowledge it and be a slut. I can't take a whole lotta stuff so long as no one is hurting someone else in the process AND so long as the motivation is genuine - as opposed to sneaky and underhanded.

Truth, transparency, and trying.

I think Brandi may not really want to be a slut. She's said often that she liked being married (3-somes or not). I think she is a bit lost and confused about where to go in live. For all this, I cut her slack. The problem with Brandi, is that she takes others down to find her own reward. Not cool.

It's only a matter of time for her ship to go down if she can't find a stable path to follow.
    I want to amend my post after reading Cavendish's post. The word is not a good word, and it does demean women. A woman who sleeps around is not "less than" anyone else because she sleeps around no more than would be/should be the case for a man, but the word "slut" implies that this is the case. While our society has words for men who sleep around, they are not widely used and not used in the same derogatory manner (e.g. cad, dog, male slut).

At issue for me is not men vs. women but the act of sleeping around. The word slut does not accurately characterize the point I was trying make above.

Thanks Cavendish.
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My problem seems to be women being accepting of allowing themselves to be referred to like this, with this and various different other pejoratives....."bitch" being another one of them. The list goes on.
    Prism and Dragonlady like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

prhoshay, thanks for saying that about Bitc* word......I'm so sick of everyone using it so casually, like "dude." We should never just sit back and accept that term as benign, even jokingly, just because "everyone" says it now.
    justCoz, Prism and Imperfect1 like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A young friend told me, with a big smile, that her husband had said to her "You're just a little bitch, aren't you?", and she said it like it was something to be proud of; I told her not to let him talk to her like that, and she looked like I had slapped her. There's a half-step from that turning ugly. That's verbal abuse, in the making. NO........IT'S VERBAL ABUSE.....PERIOD.
    Prism, Imperfect1 and Dragonlady like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

prhoshay, totally agree with you...it's a case of If it's repeated often enough, it then becomes the norm and acceptable.
    People need to THINK before speaking instead of just accepting what's current, trendy and popular.
    Prism likes this.

I'm not fond of women casually using the B word to refer to one another either. Especially hate to see it in younger women or girls. As far as "slut" goes, it's not the primary word I would use to describe Brandi on my own. I'd primarily call her trashy because she is. But I guess I was just referring to the fact she admits to being slutty. Actually, that term doesn't just refer to somebody who sleeps around. Seems like it also used to mean and maybe still does to some, somebody who's dirty and sloppy.

I have heard younger women and girls refer to men as whores and sluts, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    Actually, that term doesn't just refer to somebody who sleeps around. Seems like it also used to mean and maybe still does to some, somebody who's dirty and sloppy.
    You're very right...slut does also mean dirty, lazy and sloppy but I doubt anyone who uses it anymore realizes that. It pretty much means only one thing now.
    Proper use of the language has disappeared and continues to go down, which is unfortunate.
    prhoshay, Shoepie and Imperfect1 like this.

My definition applies to Brandi as well.

Stupid
    Lazy
    Useless
    Trash
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lol! I like it, MsDiva.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    You're very right...slut does also mean dirty, lazy and sloppy but I doubt anyone who uses it anymore realizes that. It pretty much means only one thing now.
    Proper use of the language has disappeared and continues to go down, which is unfortunate.
    You are singing my song.
    prhoshay, Starbucks880 and Prism like this.

+ Reply to Thread