+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3128Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think that describing Lisa's offense as calling a shoe a silly childish name is giving her too much of a pass. She was mocking a business that Adrienne was just introducing, and that she was obviously passionate about and proud of. When another person mocks something that really matters to you, it does matter. Both women hurt each other. Both should own up to it.
    I agree with this. I'm not sure Lisa understood/understands how hurtful her "humor" can be - esp. in sensitive areas like this. She owes Adrienne an apology - just as much as Adrienne does for not responding well to Lisa's humor.

I do think there are cultural differences at play here. British humor is far more cutting and sarcastic than American humor. How many times does Lisa say she doesn't want to have sex with her husband? She's joking, and Ken knows she's joking. Same thing with the dinner party last season, when Ken was saying he could never seek counseling. He wasn't indicting people who do, he was just sharing his own perspective, and Taylor (of course) presumed he was criticizing her. The first season, Camille was the oversensitive one. I just think these women need to chill and stop taking offense so easily.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I do think there are cultural differences at play here. British humor is far more cutting and sarcastic than American humor. How many times does Lisa say she doesn't want to have sex with her husband? She's joking, and Ken knows she's joking. Same thing with the dinner party last season, when Ken was saying he could never seek counseling. He wasn't indicting people who do, he was just sharing his own perspective, and Taylor (of course) presumed he was criticizing her. The first season, Camille was the oversensitive one. I just think these women need to chill and stop taking offense so easily.
    I'm not sure people are capable anymore of not taking offense at the littlest thing.
    Life is too short to always look for a problem or an "offense."

These women always abide by what is sanctioned by society at the present time....rather than common sense...they seem far too occupied by how they appear, what they have, what others think of them, etc.
    It's really too bad because life is better than that and they are missing out.JMHO

I'm not sure people are capable anymore of not taking offense at the littlest thing.
    Life is too short to always look for a problem or an "offense."

These women always abide by what is sanctioned by society at the present time....rather than common sense...they seem far too occupied by how they appear, what they have, what others think of them, etc.
    It's really too bad because life is better than that and they are missing out.JMHO

FORT Fogey

But if they didn't take offense at every little thing, theyd be cancelled. Look at the DC housewives. They let everything slide except for the party crasher couple.

When I saw the commercials / promos for this week's episode, I thought David was going to be an a**.
    Once I saw the episode, i thought that he was actually being a pretty gracious host.
    I was glad to see Michael Johns - from American Idol. Good for him.
    It's easy to see why that butler makes the rounds like he does.
    momrek06 likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Sorry, I tried to edit my post and it won't allow me to do so.

continuing the above.....

Rich people love to be flattered. The Butler / valet is really good at doing that. That's why he gets so much business!

Taylor is really annoying the he** out of me this season, even though I've never been a fan of hers. And, why oh way, can she not do something with her hair? Her telling Chris Botti about Brandi was just off putting! Who does that?!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always been fond of the saying that "when you throw a rock at a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!"

True, true, true!!
    Lizard likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Although... about the therapy thing, while I think Ken was mostly expressing his point of view, and Taylor twisted it around to be about her, I can understand it. I have in-laws who do think that it's wrong to go to therapy, and that it's an admission that something is very wrong with you, and of weakness and inability to handle your own problems. If Taylor comes from that background-- and also just because she seems very insecure and defensive about her lack of being together--she could feel that Ken's comments were demeaning to her.

It could be kind of uncomfortable to be the only one who openly admits to having therapy-- and therefore to not being in control of one's life.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't understand why there is a need to discuss it at all. That is "somebody's" personal business.....but, then again, some people talk about everything, and then cry and moan when they are judged for what they've said.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread