+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3006Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

So if you are married, and decide to try an open relationship, then that means you are automatically not in love anymore? That's confusing to me.
    Rockytop Chick likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    So if you are married, and decide to try an open relationship, then that means you are automatically not in love anymore? That's confusing to me.
    I think many (perhaps most) people do equate 'open relationships' with being 'not in love' with one's primary partner. Although I personally have no interest (particularly sexual interest) in anyone else when I'm in love with a partner, I do believe that it IS POSSIBLE to be in love with one person and to enjoy having sex with others, particularly after a number of years of marriage when sex has becoming pretty routine and unfortunately boring with your one partner, and you yearn to have the kind of sex and romance and excitement you had at the beginning of the relationship. But here's where the huge difference between men and women come in: I think that it is easier for men to have multiple sexual partners and still remain contentedly in the marriage, but because most women become emotionally involved with the person they're having sex with --- I think that a woman having sex with someone outside the marriage could very easily cause some kind of emotional bond that would seriously threaten the marriage.

FORT Fogey

I think that's probably true although I am very wary of the "women are emotional, men are not" generalizations and stereotypes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree with you. I think it all goes back to basic biology. Men are designed to repopulate the earth, thus they are more designed to "hit and git", if you will. People will say that women will also do the same, but I think that is more of a determination to have everything the men are having, level the playing field. I can understand both ways.

I read Taylor's book. Very interesting in that it explains a lot of what was seen in her interactions on the show and with that nutjob she married. I'm convinced that she is lucky to be alive. Hers is not an unusual story, unfortunately. I didn't read mean and calculating in her story. She was truly in love with that man, in a sick way that she either couldn't move away from or refused to get away from. Many women do that until their deaths. She was lucky.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    I haven't read back many pages, but in the last round of posts on the topic, I don't recall anyone saying this.

I know a few people in open marriages. It works for them. I'm not sure love in the traditonal way exists, but the mechanics of the relationship work. They like their spouses and they work well together on the home front, i.e. maintaining the house, investments, etc. Life is very good except for sex which they get elsewhere.

The spouses support and respect each other - and actually have a good time together. There is love - just not in the way most think of it.

As to Paul and Adrienne, they may very well love each other, but that doesn't mean they work well together as a couple in the traditional sense or in the practical areas of an open relationship. Two different things in my book.

[QUOTE=prhoshay;4530148]I agree with you. I think it all goes back to basic biology. Men are designed to repopulate the earth, thus they are more designed to "hit and git", if you will. People will say that women will also do the same, but I think that is more of a determination to have everything the men are having, level the playing field. I can understand both ways.

Sorry, but I think this comment is just adding to the stereotype.
    Can't we just say that not every woman in this world has to have an emotional attachment to a man to be with him. Sometimes, after all, it's just about sex.
    And, believe it or not, many women like it just as much as men and they don't need to "level the playing field."
    Last edited by norealityhere; 08-17-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I do kind of hope to see Taylor come back because I do want to see how her story unfolds. She has been nothing but distasteful to me, but with the passage of time, I've come to think of her as mostly just messed up. And, for that, I feel sorry for her more than anything at this point.
    You are obviously a much better person than I am...truly....I don't mean that sarcastically.
    I really dislike that woman whole-heartedly....and all because of how she "used" Russell for her own importance and attention IMO. I could be totally wrong...none of us know the truth there....But just given what I observed/heard, etc...my instincts perked up just like they do when I smell a rat and the rat's name is Taylor or whatever she goes by now....
    It's not important to go into the many many reasons I feel this way...it's over, it's been said before...others may disagree with me entirely and that's ok...it's just how I feel about her and it started with that big "to-do" about abuse.....where she never, ever explained what abuse she (or her mother??) experienced and it continued every time that woman opened her mouth about how much she's suffered.
    Maybe I'm just hard-hearted...but that's my gut feeling about her and the less I see of her, the better.

DL, when it comes to Taylor, I totally agree with you.
    Something just didn't seem right with her from day 1.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Here's my 'gut feeling' about Taylor's metamorphasis on the show. Here in the US and in many places all over the world, our society is filled with young pretty women attaching themselves to wealthy men, and I believe Taylor was one of these women. Very often these marriages are not as wonderful on the inside as the couples would have them appear on the outside, to others. I think that when RHBH first started, Taylor thought that she'd just be one of the group --- light and breezy, appearing as a fancy-shmancy BH housewife by just showing the outer surface of her life, and talking about how lovely and wealthy it was. I think she truly thought the viewing audience would believe all the stuff she said about herself and what her life was like. I don't think that she DREAMED that the viewers (and the cast) would probe so deeply into her personal life, and that the dark side and all the dirt would start to emerge. And once it did, and once her life with Russell began to really fall apart, there was no hiding the ugliness and no denying it. It totally took on a life of it's own, and Taylor had no way to stop the runaway train that ended with her marriage falling apart, the endless questions about the 'abuse,' and Russell's tragic suicide.

FORT Fogey

Emotionally balanced people don't do what Taylor has done.

Her most egregious act IMO was taking her daughter to one of her book signings. That is bad on so many obvious levels that I don't even need to list them.

The other thing I find telling about her mental state is an interview she did on WWHL. She was responding to a question about how the women were making it hard for Brandy to fit it and she said something like outsiders coming onto "their" show...yada, yada (don't recall the rest)....she didn't grasp the idea that it isn't their show but rather Bravo's show. She had no sense of her place in that arrangement and that she and the others were somehow irreplaceable.

Anyway, she is a messed up pony. If she comes on again and continues in the same manner, I won't want to watch - because in many ways, I think the show makes it hard for her to get the right kind of help. If she comes on and she is getting her life in order, then I may be more supportive.

I just want to see what is going on with her after the Russell situation.

Oh, and one of my favorites....Kim. Another messed up pony. I hope we see good and healthy things from her. Although I'm not convinced we will.

+ Reply to Thread