+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3203Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Re: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    Why does there always have to be a "bad guy". It seems to me like Paul and Adrienne were the most "normal" couple and this is probably the most "normal" divorce. I mean "normal" divorce in that things just weren't working anymore. I doubt either was the "bad guy" I'm sure they contributed equally to the relationship and equally to the divorce.

If Adrienne agreed to an open relationship toward the end, my guess is Paul was having affairs and she was attempting to embrace it and make it part of their relationship in order to save it. Paul is endearing and fun and likable, but that's a double-edged sword.

I'm confused. Why is it assumed that ..."if she agreed to an open relationship, my guess is Paul was having affairs........"

Why is it being assumed that he was having an affair?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Well, from the phrasing. If you "agree" to something then it wasn't your idea, rather, it's something that's been proposed to you. And my guess is, the reason Paul was proposing that was because he either was or wished to have relationships with other women.
    prhoshay likes this.

If Adrienne agreed to an open relationship toward the end, my guess is Paul was having affairs and she was attempting to embrace it and make it part of their relationship in order to save it. Paul is endearing and fun and likable, but that's a double-edged sword.
    I just don't understand that way of thinking: trying to save a marriage, when one of them is not acting married! What's to save here?? How could you even contemplate saving this even if your main reason was so the kids had their father around? What kind of a role model is that for a father? The kids are young now...but they'll grow and definitely learn all about mommy and daddy eventually so why try to have some kind of pretense of a marriage? JMHO
    Punkin and Jexter like this.

FORT Fogey

Well that's a little judge-y. Plenty of people have open relationships and are very happy together. It's not for me, but so long as both members of the marriage are okay with it, then who am I to decide?

There are also a lot of husbands/wives whose spouses have made mistakes, and they have worked through those mistakes because they were still in love and their relationship was worth working through it. Presumably, if you've gotten married, you went into the relationship with the intention of spending the rest of your life together. People lose their way, relationships go through very difficult times. If you can weather the storm, and come out stronger on the other side, good for you. I mean, really, if it truly was a mistake where is the point in taking the hard line and throwing away your relationship without trying to save it? So you have your pride? That's just silly to me.

Apparently, Paul and Adrienne's marriage was over, for whatever reason.
    prhoshay and buttahfly like this.

Considering that these seasons are filmed many months before we see them, I wonder if this breakup will be a storyline in the next season. We never really saw Camille in her marriage or got to know Kelsey Grammar so her breakup was sort of one sided for us. They may possibly have been already filming the next season when the breakup occured. I hope we'll see soon because this is my favorite "Housewives".

Well, from the phrasing. If you "agree" to something then it wasn't your idea, rather, it's something that's been proposed to you. And my guess is, the reason Paul was proposing that was because he either was or wished to have relationships with other women.
    THanks for the explanation.

Has anybody heard whether Taylor is coming back?
    I am hoping she is not. I don't think I can take another season of how her mouth looks when she cries!
    Prism and OceanView like this.

Well that's a little judge-y. Plenty of people have open relationships and are very happy together. It's not for me, but so long as both members of the marriage are okay with it, then who am I to decide?

There are also a lot of husbands/wives whose spouses have made mistakes, and they have worked through those mistakes because they were still in love and their relationship was worth working through it. Presumably, if you've gotten married, you went into the relationship with the intention of spending the rest of your life together. People lose their way, relationships go through very difficult times. If you can weather the storm, and come out stronger on the other side, good for you. I mean, really, if it truly was a mistake where is the point in taking the hard line and throwing away your relationship without trying to save it? So you have your pride? That's just silly to me.

Apparently, Paul and Adrienne's marriage was over, for whatever reason.
    I may not have expressed very well what I meant...or maybe I did....
    I really don't know enough about open marriages and if plenty of people are happy with that arrangement... I just meant that marriage means a commitment between two people, involving a lot of trust.
    To me, it didn't seem like there was much of a marriage to save if the "gossip" is true that Adrienne agreed to an open marriage..that implies that she really didn't want that type of relationship and to keep Paul/the marriage, she would have to allow this which meant letting him have other sexual partners.
    (Who knows really if this is true or not. Probably not. )
    But I just don't see anything to save if those are the conditions involved. It's an entirely different thing if both people desire an open marriage...but this did not appear to be the situation here.
    I totally understand mistakes/an affair that is regretted and there's a desire to stop that behavior and work on saving the marriage....but wanting to continue that way, asking for an open marriage....that's a whole different ballgame.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Some people THINK they can tolerate behaviors in their spouses but find out that they can't....even if they jump out there and try out the same behavior. I, for one, KNOW that this type of behavior is intolerable for me, but people can believe different things about themselves until they proved otherwise to themselves. They do what they do for various reasons.

Nothing surprises me, anymore.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I just don't understand that way of thinking: trying to save a marriage, when one of them is not acting married! What's to save here?? How could you even contemplate saving this even if your main reason was so the kids had their father around? What kind of a role model is that for a father? The kids are young now...but they'll grow and definitely learn all about mommy and daddy eventually so why try to have some kind of pretense of a marriage? JMHO
    I actually agree with the first part of this. An open marriage is not what they agreed to in the beginning (or else they wouldn't have to agree to it now). What they obviously wanted was a marriage in the traditional sense, i.e. trust, fidelity, etc.

To move to an open marriage in an attempt to save a marriage makes the marriage something entirely different - mostly a business relationship, i.e. shared assests, friendship perhaps, and maybe a roll in the hay from time to time, etc.

My thoughts are that for Paul and Adrienne, there isn't much value in having a marriage simply for the business end of things. They certainly don't need each other's assets and I'm not convinced they are the best of friends. What is left? Occassional rolls in the hay. Not much value in staying married for just that.

Don't get me wrong. If two people were consenting from the beginning or do find value in a business-only arrangement, then it's fine. I just don't see it working for Paul and Adrienne and therefore it would be sort of a sham marriage (and rather pointless, really).

Split and be done with it.

-------------------------------------

Reg. Taylor, I've read where she will be back but with reduced air time. Same for Camille. What I read about Camille is that she either wanted more money or refused to film certain things the producers wanted her to film, e.g. her kids, boyfriend, etc. I'm not sure what the truth is - nor do I know why Taylor's role was cut back.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I do kind of hope to see Taylor come back because I do want to see how her story unfolds. She has been nothing but distasteful to me, but with the passage of time, I've come to think of her as mostly just messed up. And, for that, I feel sorry for her more than anything at this point.
    Last edited by Jexter; 08-16-2012 at 03:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread