+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3016Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    [B]Wow![B] After seeing Taylor's eye injury, inflicted by Russell, today, I was blown away. It looks like this was an ugly relationship.

And, you know, it kills me how the family doesn't want anything about Russell on Bravo, and EVERY other show is still talking about it. So what do you do there?
    Do you mind me asking...where did you see Taylor's eye injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Do you mind me asking...where did you see Taylor's eye injury?
    Entertainment has been talking nonstop about her.

Shocking Taylor Armstrong Black Eye Photos - ETonline.com

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Jones View Post
    Entertainment has been talking nonstop about her.

Shocking Taylor Armstrong Black Eye Photos - ETonline.com
    Thanks. I'm still on the fence with all this. Based on Taylor's horrible behavior last season, there is a big part of me that doesn't trust her. And, a few things don't seem to add up. For example, how is it she ended up as a speaker at the benefit for the shelter for abused women last season if she was being abused herself?

Taylor pranced around the clinic, invited all her friends, spoke of the issue as something other women go through, etc. I think if she were being physically abused, she wouldn't be able to participate in the showy way she did without the rest of us (and the employees of the clinic!) picking up on something.

I buy the fact that Russell was not the best partner in town. That is, for me, without question. Emotional abuse? I'm not sure I saw emotional abuse. I only saw Russell being distant and non-communicative and non-emotive. Taylor, on the other hand, seemed to stand up for herself pretty well on multiple occassions.

What I do think I see is a woman who is very desperate. Desperate to keep the fame and money she thought she may have had when she married Russell and subsequently landed the show. Desperate people do desperate - and often cuckoo - things (been there). I wonder if what we are seeing is the knee-jerk reaction of a married woman doing what she can to stay afloat in Beverly Hills.
    KatesMom and SugarMama like this.

Taking these photos to the media after Russell's death is unbelievably horrid of Taylor. Who wants to be pitied for being weak and unable to leave such a horrible environment?? Why would this be appealing to anyone????? I suppose if you're desparate for attention, it doesn't matter what kind of attention you get as long as you get it.
    I"ll never understand the concept of wanting sympathy for being a victim, even when you are a big part of why you're a victim.
    KatesMom likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It breaks my heart to hear women blame victims for being in abusive relationships, when it is such a complex matter. Simplicity is a word that does not even come into play in abusive relationships. And, everything that was stated above in one poster's paragraph about emotional abuse is exactly that....emotional abuse "distant and non-communicative and non-emotive." Contributing factors. It's such a sick syndrome that people can find themselves in before they even know it. And Russell's domestic violence was nothing new; his own attorney (the one that spoke shortly after Russell's death) has admitted that he was aware of Russell's history with other women. Apparently, they have been documented with police departments.

Apparently, there is going to be more on ET, starting on Tuesday (I think), about the abuse.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

It breaks my heart to hear women blame victims for being in abusive relationships, when it is such a complex matter. Simplicity is a word that does not even come into play in abusive relationships. And, everything that was stated above in one poster's paragraph about emotional abuse is exactly that....emotional abuse "distant and non-communicative and non-emotive." Contributing factors. It's such a sick syndrome that people can find themselves in before they even know it. And Russell's domestic violence was nothing new; his own attorney (the one that spoke shortly after Russell's death) has admitted that he was aware of Russell's history with other women. Apparently, they have been documented with police departments.

Apparently, there is going to be more on ET, starting on Tuesday (I think), about the abuse.
    Just to be super-duper clear....I'm not blaming Taylor for anything. The way I see it is this. Domestic abuse - physical or emotional - has yet to be proved. Until that happens, there is neither a perpetrator nor a victim. Taylor can't be blamed for anything because we don't know that anything happened. And, conveniently for Taylor, Russell can no longer speak for himself. The world will only hear what Taylor wants it to hear and see what Taylor wants it to see. Based on Taylor's behavior last season, which consisted of untruths, exaggerations, deceptions, aggression, etc. I wouldn't put it past her to be blowing smoke about all to ellicit sympathy in the wake of Russell's death AND her own role in some of the shady business dealings.

Not that Wikipedia is the end-all but here is a much dfferent definition of "emotional abuse": Psychological abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

For now, I choose to interpret what I saw as two people who were mismatched in their marriage going through a very stressful time. I'm not denying that abuse happened - either physically or emotionally - given Russell's background. I'm just saying that I haven't seen any indication of it in anything either Taylor or Russell has said or done during Season 1 of the show.

More will come out when Bravo airs the marriage counseling sessions. My opinion may change then, but for now, I'm not going to refer to Taylor as a victim simply because she says she's one. She hasn't shown herself to be trustworthy - at least not in S1.
    Last edited by Jexter; 09-18-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add a thought
    Starbucks880 likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

They plan to air the marriage counseling sessions? That would be a surprise to me since they seem to have their hands full with what they do plan to air.

Some people are "mismatched" no matter whom they are with. And Russell had his chance, but he chose differently.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

They plan to air the marriage counseling sessions? That would be a surprise to me since they seem to have their hands full with what they do plan to air.

Some people are "mismatched" no matter whom they are with. And Russell had his chance, but he chose differently.
    So did Taylor.

Shauna/Shana/Taylor Hughes "Ford" Armstrong is not a good solid honest person in her everyday life, that's for sure. But the photo release is not unexpected for someone in her position, and very well could be just what she says it is. If I remember right, money is very important to her, and photos like that can be sold for quite a bit - her notoriety being what it is. Other than Bravo salary, she's probably dead broke. And she sure ain't going into a 1,200 sq ft condo to hunker down and live a private life. She needs the money to live the pretend lifestyle.

Knowing that she's an immature woman and that she talked a lot around the "victim" issue, I'm thinking there are very few places where she could have been physically beat up like that. Until I hear otherwise, and because she may have a shred of decency after all when she says R. Armstrong did it, I believe she's being honest about this one. I don't like her one bit for the way she lives her life, but as long as R. Armstrong kept enough money rolling to make her look wealthy, she took the beatings and stayed. Very sad.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

None of us know anything about Taylor or Russell but we are free to speculate.
    I still think it was completely unnecessary for her to reveal those pictures after Russell's death. What was her reason for it? How does it benefit her or her daughter? What can be gained from it? Those are my questions.

Taylor probably knew of Russell's temper prior to their marriage...most people do see it. Obviously there was something that Taylor wanted from the relationship that she was willing to gamble on her chances. It may have been emotional and it may have been financial..Who knows?? And it doesn't matter...her choice.

I know that many will not agree with me but:
    I am skeptical of most women now days about "emotional abuse" claims because it's used too freely to describe plain old disagreements. I belive in strong women (& men) who may need some time to conceptualize that what they're experiencing is not normal nor is it healthy and be strong enough to look for ways to change. Ask for help. I just don't believe most people in an abusive relationship are totally helpless. There are definitely cases where they are held totally helpless but most are not.
    JMHO

+ Reply to Thread