+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3016Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Re: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady;4195337;
    It's obvious that Kim has "problems." It could very well be alcohol, altho my bet is drugs/pills (vicodne, oxycontin, etc) most likely mixed with alcohol, which results in that fuzzy, bewildered attitude we see. Maybe she didn't answer the question directly because she's hiding the fact that there's more than alcohol...
    I agree. My addiction started with hydrocodone after two surgeries. It's so wonderful at numbing pain, not only physical pain but emotional, too, if one is having troubles in that area. It and it's sibling oxycontin are highly addictive, and when the physical pain goes away, it's very easy to continue to "need" that relief from any emotional pain they've been helping ease. The physical and emotional addiction aspect becomes blurred. Without getting technical, narcotics can actually alter that portion of the brain they stimulate, and the cravings are really intense, even after the hellish physical withdrawal has occurred (if one became addicted).

Once, about ten years after I was "freed" I got a loaner car while a windshield was being replaced. In the console of the loaner was an empty bottly of hydrocodone! Immediately my brain took me "back there" and if that bottle had been full, I honestly can't say I'd have left it alone. I probably would have, but it would have been a terrible struggle internally!

I get upset when people make fun of Rush Limbaugh because he became addicted to them (which one I don't know). He had/has very severe back pain and was taking them for that. He, unlike most of us, had the money to keep buying more and more and more off the market. I probably would have, too, if I had his bank account. So I don't blame him one bit...he had to go through withdrawal just like everybody else, and people from all walks of life can easily become addicted to these powerful prescription painkillers. A nurse friend of mine also got addicted after a surgery, and she began writing/forging prescriptions, until she got caught and lost her license.

Whether or not Kim started (IF she did) because of a physical pain or an emotional one (she's earned her stripes there), she would be one to have the money and the connections to keep going with it for a long time. Really, you get caught and are stopped...or you die.

Kim appears to be generally unhappy in her life and I think that's why she "medicates."
    She sure does, her eyes look sad. I'd love to read someday that she's pulled herself together, married a good man, and is living happily everafter!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I have a dear friend who leads a great life and no one would say she was an alcoholic even though she polishes off a complete bottle of wine each and every night, never missing a night. The rest of her life (daytime) is just fine. Is she an alcoholic?

Kim appears to be generally unhappy in her life and I think that's why she "medicates."
    If she has to have that bottle of wine & that was it then I wouldn't classify her as an alcoholic but I would think she has issues with alcohol. If she stops at that one bottle...I don't know but that is alot of booze to be putting into your system in a year. I would be concerned about liver issues in the long term.

Kim has issues, there is no denying that. Right now she is in the denial stage. Kyle did her a diservice by inviting her to be a part of this franchise. I know it was probably to get Kim out of the house & probably for financial reasons. Kyle needed to be a sister first & protect Kim from this. You would have had to been a deaf, blind idiot (DISCLAIMER:not implying that deaf or blind people are idiots) to have not known how nasty & catty the women on these shows are. There were 4 other series to have viewed to have drawn that conclusion.

Kim does seem to have issues though but she has to reconigize that herself.

Well AD was as annoying or actually even more so last night then when the epi first aired.

Loved it when Lisa said (in re: to AD) (to the camera) "first thing I would do is get a new cardigan"

Ya, Kim definitely has some addictive issues, not sure either if it is meds or alcohol. How odd for AD to turn to her at the beginning of the meal and say to Kim, "you are on your 4th drink there", Kim: "its just coke" odd.

And that cigarette, knowing nothing about them, is that REAL smoke? To be blowing it all over the room and the meal

AD appeared to have done allot of drinking at that meal.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4195622;
    Well AD
    And that cigarette, knowing nothing about them, is that REAL smoke? To be blowing it all over the room and the meal

AD appeared to have done allot of drinking at that meal.
    No, these artificial "cigarettes" give the person trying to quit the sensation of smoking. They get the taste of tobacco without inhaling it, and what you see is just a harmless vapor (that's what I've read and heard, anyway).

Lisa said those drinks were quite strong. What'd she say "designed to knock your socks off"? If I'd consumed as much as Alison did, I'd have been passed out on the floor with a LOT of embarassing footage for Bravo to blackmail me with! Alison didn't seem to be affected one bit. Maybe Camille had one pitcher with no alcohol (probably not but who knows?)
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4195641;
    No, these artificial "cigarettes" give the person trying to quit the sensation of smoking. They get the taste of tobacco without inhaling it, and what you see is just a harmless vapor (that's what I've read and heard, anyway).

Lisa said those drinks were quite strong. What'd she say "designed to knock your socks off"? If I'd consumed as much as Alison did, I'd have been passed out on the floor with a LOT of embarassing footage for Bravo to blackmail me with! Alison didn't seem to be affected one bit. Maybe Camille had one pitcher with no alcohol (probably not but who knows?)
    Oh, thanks for that info on the "cigarettes".

BUT you do make a really good point about AD and her drinking. At the beginning of the show, Camille (told the cameras) that when AD drinks, she does tend to say things she shouldn't … ahhh … this leaves me thinking that Camille must have made her a pitcher of non-alcoholic drinks and then told her to go all out with these ladies and we can just blame it on the alcohol. Hmmm.

In any event, I think (the scheme) all backfired and AD came off looking like one nasty, rude, beeootch …
    KAREN

It's obvious that Kim has "problems." It could very well be alcohol, altho my bet is drugs/pills (vicodne, oxycontin, etc) most likely mixed with alcohol, which results in that fuzzy, bewildered attitude we see. Maybe she didn't answer the question directly because she's hiding the fact that there's more than alcohol.
    There are a lot of people who have an alcohol problem that doesn't result in someone staggering, speaking garbled speech, unable to stand up, etc. They social drink, have their (publically approved) frequent glasses of wine, always maintaining a slow, steady buzz for a long period of time. Kyle seems to fit that mold and maybe Kim also. Can't tell with the editing that Bravo does.
    I have a dear friend who leads a great life and no one would say she was an alcoholic even though she polishes off a complete bottle of wine each and every night, never missing a night. The rest of her life (daytime) is just fine. Is she an alcoholic?
    I noticed the same behavior with Mary of RHDC. She was never without her glass of wine.
    I guess my point was that if Kim doesn't have some kind of addiction or dependence problem (to drugs or alcohol), she certainly would have answered Andy's question with a resounding "no", which she did not. While I can clearly see that Kyle is a social drinker (and it appears that during filming every RH series, all the women do their fair share of it), there are no other indicators to me that she is abusing it anymore than any of the others, based on both what we saw on the show, and what we know of how she has conducted her personal life. Inferring that she also has a drinking problem comes across IMO as just a way to mitigate whatever Kim's issues are. OTOH, does Kyle have an anger management problem and a "resentment towards Kim" problem? Absolutely.

My opinion on drinking a bottle of wine a night would depend on whether the individual in question would be able to go for a long period of time without it or not. If they couldn't give the habit up, I would consider them an alcoholic.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't those smokeless cigarettes have nicotine cartridges?

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4195687;
    I guess my point was that if Kim doesn't have some kind of addiction or dependence problem (to drugs or alcohol), she certainly would have answered Andy's question with a resounding "no", which she did not. While I can clearly see that Kyle is a social drinker (and it appears that during filming every RH series, all the women do their fair share of it), there are no other indicators to me that she is abusing it anymore than any of the others, based on both what we saw on the show, and what we know of how she has conducted her personal life. Inferring that she also has a drinking problem comes across IMO as just a way to mitigate whatever Kim's issues are. OTOH, does Kyle have an anger management problem and a "resentment towards Kim" problem? Absolutely.

My opinion on drinking a bottle of wine a night would depend on whether the individual in question would be able to go for a long period of time without it or not. If they couldn't give the habit up, I would consider them an alcoholic.

IF Kim has a problem then Kyle is a co-dependent. She has prohibited Kim from hitting her bottom for years by taking care of her. Talk to anyone in a co-dependent relationship and they are very angry and bitter - almost to the point of hating the person they are taking care of, while still loving them and praying every day that the person will just "wake up" and get help - or that their love will be enough to get them better. It is a sad situation all the way around. The best thing Kyle could do for her sister is stand back and let her sink or swim on her own. But in Kyle's mind, she made a promise to her mother, so she can't do that. So of course she's angry.

On your second paragraph, as a recovering alcoholic, I agree completely. It is not about how often you drink or how much you drink. It is about the compulsion. If she wants to give up drinking the bottle and she can't - then she has a problem. If she can take it or leave it, then she may not be an alcoholic - but as has been mentioned, she may be setting herself up for other problems, given the volume of what she is drinking on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4195761;
    Correct me if I am wrong but don't those smokeless cigarettes have nicotine cartridges?
    I have no clue myself. Probably. I can't see how they'd really work myself, just cuts out the other few thousand chemicals in ciggys I guess. Gives them the nicotine fix and the sensation of smoking (the oral/inhaling/blowing).

Coming from a 15-year smoker, quit for 22 years now (I quit cold turkey)

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Loved it when Lisa said (in re: to AD) (to the camera) "first thing I would do is get a new cardigan"
    Yes, I caught that too! I'd love to see Lisa go one-on-one with Alison. I'm going to miss Lisa and her sarcastic, quick wit!

I don't know about anyone else, but I was very disappointed in last night's episode. It was an exact repeat of "the dinner from hell" except for maybe a few extra, not-seen-before, footage of Faye Resnick's (and a couple of the other womens) comments. I think Faye made a lot good points.
    I feel like Andy Cohen tricked me into staying up til 11 pm for nothing!

+ Reply to Thread