+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3419Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

38 count indictment on both Teresa and Joe!! OMG! I thought this was all about Joe's false driving license problem. Guess that one is still to come. I can really picture Tre in the Hoosegow, especially since I'm currently watching the Netflix series Orange is the New Black.

2 'Real Housewives of NJ' stars charged with fraud - Yahoo! TV

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) Two stars of the "Real Housewives of New Jersey" were indicted Monday on federal fraud charges, accused of exaggerating their income while applying for loans before their TV show debuted in 2009, then hiding their improving fortunes in a bankruptcy filing after their first season aired.

Teresa Giudice, 41, and her husband Giuseppe "Joe" Giudice, 43, of Montville Township, were charged in a 39-count indictment with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, making false statements on loan applications and bankruptcy fraud.

The couple submitted fraudulent mortgage and other loan applications from 2001 through 2008, a year before their show debuted on Bravo, making phony claims about their employment status and salaries, the indictment said.

Prosecutors allege the Giudices received about $4.6 million in mortgages, withdrawals from home equity lines of credit and construction loans. In some instances the couple filed fake W-2s and tax returns.

Joe Giudice also failed to file tax returns for the years 2004 through 2008, when he is alleged to have earned nearly $1 million, the government said. During that time his income allegedly fluctuated wildly; the indictment states he made $323,481 in 2005 and $26,194 in 2006.

The reality TV stars were scheduled to make their initial court appearances Tuesday.

Teresa's attorney, Henry Klingeman, said she would plead not guilty. Joe's attorney did not return a message seeking comment.

Teresa also issued her own statement, saying it was a difficult day for her family, that she supports her husband, and that she hopes to resolve the case with the government as quickly as possible.

"I am committed to my family and intend to maintain our lives in the best way possible, which includes continuing my career," she said.

A Bravo spokesman had no comment.

Teresa is best known for flipping a table during an argument during the show's first season, and her stained relationship with her brother's wife.

The indictment alleges "the Giudices lied to the bankruptcy court, to the IRS and to a number of banks," U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman said.

"Everyone has an obligation to tell the truth when dealing with the courts, paying their taxes and applying for loans or mortgages. That's reality," he said.

When Teresa filed for a mortgage loan of $121,000 in 2001, she falsely claimed she worked as an executive assistant, submitting fake W-2 forms and fake paystubs as part of the ruse, the indictment said. In 2004, she claimed she was the owner of a stucco company and made $14,750 a month.

In their petition for bankruptcy protection, initiated in October 2009, the couple concealed businesses they owned, rental income they received, and Teresa's true income from the "Real Housewives," website sales and personal appearances, the indictment said.

Teresa failed to report TG Fabulicious, a business she created after the bankruptcy filing to sell products and capitalize on her fame. Prosecutors said the couple also hid their anticipated increase in income from the then-upcoming second year of the show, which is now in its fifth season.

Teresa made $110,677 from the reality show, website sales and personal appearances, according to the indictment.

In their 2009 bankruptcy filing, the couple stated their monthly take-home pay was $16,583, but $10,000 was from "monthly assistance from family members" and Bravo income.

It also said they owed $2.2 million in mortgages, $13,000 to Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom and nearly $12,000 to a fertility clinic. However, the couple stated that their wardrobe was worth $3,000. Teresa was criticized for, and defended, spending $60,000 on home furnishings after the filing.

ETA - Correction: 39 counts in Federal Court, not 38. Could run up to 50 years in prison. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Joe and Melissa stepped up to raise the poor children while their parents are "away"?
    Last edited by waywyrd; 07-29-2013 at 11:48 PM.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

No, it definitely would not be wonderful, imo, if self-professed "Angel from God", Joey and Melissa stepped up to raise the Giudice girls. I don't for a minute think Melissa has one ounce of love for those girls. Joe Go, yeah, but her no. We'd have to hear ad nauseam in her talking heads how much she was sacrificing for the children. I'd think Joe Giu's brother Pete and his wife would probably take the girls.
    sparklete likes this.

I was trying for sarcasm, ECMom. :>)

No, I really can't imagine those two as the best choice to raise the girls. They have enough problems already. What surprises me is that these charges go all the way back to 2001 or so. The Feds seem to have been quietly investigating them and took their time to find these myriad offenses from over a decade of fraud and have only now come out with the indictments. Teresa must be terrified! She's known of the very good possibility of Joe going "away" fro a while, but I haven't heard any TMZ or other gossip about Teresa going "away" too. I have to wonder if either of them had ay idea this was coming! And you can't sign off on fraudulent bank loans or not file taxes and claim you didn't know what your husband was doing. Doesn't wash in the courts.

Like you, Punkin, I figured that when the legal crap hit the fan and started blowing, it'd all be centered on Juicy's playing fast and loose with his driver's license.

And now, THIS.

I also agree with you that the Feds didn't just come up with this overnight. They HAD to have been sniffing in behind the Juicys for YEARS.

And it did nothing but add more fuel to the Fed fire when those lunatics jumped in to the RHONJ pool and put themselves "On Display" for the whole world to see.

And now . . .

Oh, brother.

Well, like my grandma used to say: "You might think you're slick, but you can ALWAYS stand another greasin'!"
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    We'd have to hear ad nauseam in her talking heads how much she was sacrificing for the children. I'd think Joe Giu's brother Pete and his wife would probably take the girls.
    Don't forget how many times we'd have to listen to Saint Melissa pray out loud to God to give her strength to bear this cross!!
    ness likes this.

2 'Real Housewives of NJ' stars to appear in court - Yahoo! TV

They're in fairly deep... wondering why news about this was not out there sooner.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fan

She'll look "fabulicious" in an orange jump suit!
    Punkin, GabbyG and Lizard like this.
    Trust Me!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think it's uncommon for the government to build, for years, what they think is a significant case against someone. Obviously, they felt they were onto some big fish!
    Punkin likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Reports are that they were both released on 500,000 bond a piece, that juicy got physical with a pap on the way in (just pushed away the camera), and that his mom was cussing out the paps.

edited to add: Another article I just read says that Joe is not an american citizen?! Is this new or did someone get their facts wrong?
    Last edited by AmyKay; 07-30-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: addition
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I stopped watching weeks ago. Just could not stand Teresa screaming anymore nor could I stand Jacquine & her whining anymore. Now with this latest unsurprising bombshell BRAVO either needs to drop this franchise or do a total recast and spare us any of the Kims or Melissa & family. Knowing BRAVO they will do a Joe & Teresa spin-off...Joe & Teresa Fablous Life Behind Bars.
    Might I add my wardrobe is worth more than $3,000 and I shop at Macy's! Her shoes alone are worth more than $3,000.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread