+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2810Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Just re-reading some of these latter posts, it made me think that Rosie really is the object of "soft" bullying. Sure, they truly think they're being nice and helpful regarding her "love life" but in reality, it's not nice. To me, it's the hidden subtle bullying and that can have it's effect on others.
    I really like Rosie and am so uncomfortable when I watch what her family and Bravo are doing with her story. She's being used because she's so topical right now.
    And it's not right.
    Am stopping now because the more I write, the angrier I get.
    Amen, Dragonlady. Rosie is a decent person; she doesn't deserve their bullying... what I called torment. They're insensitive at best.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

I've put a lot of thought to this and want to play Devil’s advocate here. In the past few episodes we’ve gone from Rosie tearfully talking to her sister about how different and alone she felt even within her own family and how long it took for her to accept her own sexuality. Maybe harder for her because of the old world Italian attitudes. She obviously was not sure enough of her ability to find a girlfriend and found herself lonely because she didn’t have the confidence to go to a gay bar and meet women she could bond with and maybe even find someone special to make her life complete. I thought it was sweet for Kathy to take her out to break the ice, knowing she’d never do it alone. She’d never done the dating scene when she was young and obviously needed a kick-start to get her out there. She found she could be comfortable in that scene and she actually did meet someone. I’ll bet she went home that night floating on a cloud and feeling like we did as teens with a serious crush.
    For all those years she watched all her sisters bring home dates to family dinners and finally she had someone to bring home. Meeting other gay women who can understand and empathize with her years of confusion and loneliness is the best thing that could happen for sweet Rosie. She now has the confidence to go out on her own and make lots of friends. That’s gotta be a good thing.
    We’ve known that Greg is gay for as long as we’ve known him as a part of the Manzo clan. We’ve suspected as much about Rosie though it was never addressed. TPTB at Bravo kept putting Rosie on camera more and more because the audience liked her so much. The wedding for Caroline’s brother was beautiful and magical (I’d like them to come and decorate my house!)
    So, perhaps the theme this season, apart from the insane dramas, is that we all have gay family members or friends; that they are really no different than the rest of us. But they are treated differently by society, especially by some who profess to be Christians. Look at the flack Obama is getting for coming out openly in favor of marriage equality. Maybe Bravo is trying to educate some people who feel that gays don’t deserve the same privileges as they have.
    If Bravo has been less than perfect in bringing this message into a show where dysfunction and mindless drama is what we all tune in for, well I can’t fault them for the effort. I don’t disagree with those who feel there was some insensitivity to Rosie in this process, but look where it has led. Happy Rosie! And that’s what we all want, isn’t it?
    GabbyG, Imperfect1 and buttahfly like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Any more...being gay seems to be "the flavor of the month/year". Everybody talks about it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Café Face!?! Seriously?!?

I like the cafe idea, but how about something like Beauty Café?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Any more...being gay seems to be "the flavor of the month/year". Everybody talks about it.
    93 nations in the world still legally punish homosexuality. In 7 of these - Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, United Arab Emirates, Sudan, Nigeria, Mauritania - gays and lesbians are punished with the death penalty.

Up and into the 1960's in this country it was iiegal in many states and even in the great sophisticated metropolis of New York City police regularly raided gay bars and beat patrons with clubs and arrested them. It has taken a very long time for this to become a subject that can be openly and rationally discussed. I'd call that progress! I may be sort of sensitive to the subject because there was a great influx of gays to San Francisco as they escaped the discrimination and humiliating treatment they recieved at home. Here they could be themselves, just as God made them.

I don't want to sound preachy, and my opinion is not worth any more than the next guy's, but there has been so much suffering by so many good people and there continue to be teen suicides from bullying over sexuality that I believe it is an important subject for discussion. 'Nuff said, and I won't bring it up again.

FORT Fogey

Good point Punkin. Right after Anderson Cooper came out, Kathy Griffin wrote a great piece for the Daily Beast on this subject. I think it was called "I would have never outed Anderson Cooper" if you want to look for it. She explained why she sees it as different when she makes jokes about a famous person she doesn't know, like Tom Cruise, possibly being gay vs talking about someone who is a personal friend of hers. She also addresses comments made by people about how everyone who is gay should be out, and it took Cooper too long by pointing out that in parts of the world, being gay puts your life in jeopardy. Since Cooper has to travel to some of those places as a journalist, she recognizes what a serious issue it was in his life. It was a great article, and really shocked me that Kathy could state it so beautifully. What I liked best about it, which applies to the issues on RHoNJ, was that it made the point that it is a very personal issue for individuals, that also has a reaching impact on the community at large. It's just not a simple " this should work for everyone" issue.
    buttahfly likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I worked for years and years with many gay people and, it just never was any kind of a disturbing issue for me. I've never understood other people's messed up mindsets. It's the people who are filled with hate and judgment that bother me. My sister is very bothered by gay people, and I don't know why; it's hard to "get" the difference between us.
    buttahfly likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Prhoshay, I totally apologize for misreading your post. You obviously didn't need a lecture from me as apparently your head is in a good place and I'm embarassed for thinking otherwise. Maybe I'm just too opinionated to read others opinions objectively. I'm an idiot sometimes. Perhaps often. I got a few INFRACTIONS from mods in the political thread before the last presedential election because I made some unintentionally insulting and imprudent remarks in my political zeal. I decided it was best to stay away from politics and go back to lurking and keeping my comments to myself. I am sorry if my remarks were offensive. It's a good reminder to me that I am better at reading others posts and giving "Likes" when others express my opinions. I've been here since John started the FORT in 2003 and have a pitifull number of posts because lurking and reading all 'you alls posts is so much safer than sticking my foot in my mouth! Loving the FORT!

AcookerTV, we're actually in agreement but sometimes hard to understand with just the written word.
    I have no problem with any of the inclusions of the gay story lines this season. It is very topical so it's understandable why they were included. It is the way life is..many differences in life styles and it's good to have all represented on tv. I just had a problem with how they have handled Rosie's situation. I still feel she was "used."

Punkin, I may be wrong but I understood that Rosie had already been to that bar and was the reason that she took Kathy there. I thought she made remarks about some of the people she's seen there. I think Rosie is perfectly capable of handling her life and pursuit of a partner without the unfunny, pushy-ness of Kathy and her husband. She may have been slow in her way but that's her choice.
    I really think the whole dinner thing with Brianne was a Bravo set-up and didn't necessarily rise from any connection Rosie had with her but I'm ok with that too. It's what reality tv does.

I just was uncomfortable with the "way" it was handled. Her story line was a good one, and may have helped others in many ways.
    But I'm usually the defender of underdogs, and IMO felt the drama manipulations weren't always with her best interests, but definitely for Bravo's agenda.
    And Rosie is such a sweetheart and despite her bravado, not someone who stands up to her family and is still unsure of how to proceed with her life so she needs time and to go at her own pace.

And also, may I say that there have been many suicides due to bullying....for many reasons besides homosexuality. It seems to me that recently the media focuses on just those unfortunate instances. Humans have been cruel and unkind (to say the least) for as long as they've been on the planet.
    The real problem is evilness and intolerance of any differences from the norm.

I was also put off when Melissa called Rosie a "Stud." Somehow that just seemed so inappropriate to me. But maybe Melissa doesn't know any better.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 07-10-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    nessthe best thing that could happen to Teresa is for Joe to be sentenced to about 5 years. She'll get some perspective on life if he does.
    LOL, after I read your comment, the first thing that popped into my head was the scene in Goodfellas when Karen Hill goes to visit her husband in jail and she is smuggling; salami, wine, cheese, etc, and having it strapped to her body under her coat... I can totally see Teresa doing that for that slob.
    Last edited by Storm915; 07-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread