+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3476Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

My impression when Caroline was talking about weight was that she was saying that when she was Lauren's age, she was very thin, and therefore can't relate as well as Albert can to facing weight issues for a lifetime. I think Caroline knows and accepts that her body has changed as she's gotten older. I've always thought she had one of the most accurate images of herself of any of the housewives. I don't think she mistakes herself for any sort of super model body now. About Gia and her bra shopping scene - when you consider all the family drama that her parents have aired out on TV and in magazines for a few years now, I tend to think that if her school friends are looking for something to mock or gossip about with regards to Gia, they are not talking about her bras.
    norealityhere likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Caroline actually said she has always been thin. Her "whole life." Huh. There were "blind" items about her dramatic weight loss being the result of the same lapband surgery that Albert underwent, even though it's not recommended for anyone with less than 100 pounds to lose. Of, course, she said it was a result of "portion control," which is exactly what lapband surgery does for you. At least untill you eat your way back to a larger stomach "pouch" which seems to be exactly what's happening to her now. Seeing as Lauren would know this, I can understand why she has a jaded view of her mother's insisting on the discipline of egg white shakes. Of course, Lauren is an adult and signed on for this storyline with Bravo. And, of course, Caroline knows that she now has weight issues. She just doesn't want to discuss them - that's Lauren's story.

And believe me, the "first bra club" in school is something girls discuss either with pride or with envy. They care a lot more about that than the behavior of their peers' parents, which would make a pretty boring conversational topic. Having that first trip for a fitting aired on TV would be considered obscenely mortifying.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 05-24-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

In most schools, do kids care more about the first bra club than what their parents are doing because bras matter more? Or because in most schools, kids parents are not on TV and in gossip magazines, therefore they have no idea what the parents are up to? My point was that in concerns about Gia being embarassed by her mom, I think there are many worse things she's embarassed by than her bra. If we're putting it on a scale, I think that shopping for a bra is one of the less harmful things about Gia's life that has been put on TV.
    norealityhere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    In most schools, do kids care more about the first bra club than what their parents are doing because bras matter more? Or because in most schools, kids parents are not on TV and in gossip magazines, therefore they have no idea what the parents are up to? My point was that in concerns about Gia being embarassed by her mom, I think there are many worse things she's embarassed by than her bra. If we're putting it on a scale, I think that shopping for a bra is one of the less harmful things about Gia's life that has been put on TV.
    To you and I, yes. To Gia, not necessarily. Who knows what her friends do and do not know - and what their parents watch and say. But the bra experience - yep that is one to be conveyed and one that she will be embarrassed about for a while.
    alizarules likes this.

Wait to the field day Teresa will have the day Gia gets her period.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I never remember having "bra discussions" as a preteen. I remember looking across the classroom and seeing one of my classmates with a SERIOUS bustline, maybe in grade 7, but I don't remember it being a topic of discussion. It DID make my eyes pop out, though!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think that as with Kate Gosselin allowing the cameras to film her kids on the potty, some things should be banned from filming with children and the whole puberty/growing up thing. None of that is appropriate for cameras.

I agree that there has been a whole lotta stuff that Teresa has allowed that has embarrassed her girls, but that doesn't make any of them acceptable.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Poppy, that's exactly how I remember Caroline wording it also...always preceded with the words.."all my life," when speaking of Lauren's issue. Like you pointed out, she opted for lapband surgery, which at her weight, shouldn't have been an option ....but, heck, it's her life.... So to me, in her adult life, weight has been an issue. Personally, I don't think she needs to add anything about herself in this discussion but that's asking a lot for a bunch of self-involved people like Housewives.

About Gia, I'm not sure her peers are able to perceive how lousy a mother Teresa was during this situation....it's enough for 10/11 yr olds to talk about the embarrassment of bra shopping alone! any other gossip will be from what her peers hear their parents talk about and clue them into what else could be embarrassing for Gia.

I guess Caroline is talking about her weight relative to Albert or she just does not own it.

As a reflection I guess they should have told Gia that sheshould not call people names and please use her legs to go find her mother.

I have seen weirdbehavior myself in others which I thought could be easily solved with simple words (asbergers person obsession on a weird thing making it the core of his life. His father said it is an obsession and people work with him on it...He knew any thing I said no matter how kind or purposefully constructed would have no effect.) The moms just wanted to go into mommy mode telling Gia about bad sportsmanship. And since Theresa wants the school teachers to teach her about life stuff (her period), she should not really care.
    Last edited by Lizard; 05-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    You can do it!

FORT Newbie

I just wanted to point out that Lauren made a joke about her size. She said something along the line of fitting into 2 size 8's, which would make her a 16. I thought it was funny.
    Lizard likes this.

+ Reply to Thread