+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2728Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

I haven't watched this season - or much of last season to be truthful. But, I have been following along on the threads and in the media (for the most part).

I will, however, have to tune in to the reunion and then S4. Seems as if S4 will answer loads of questions.

Meanwhile, I am going against the grain to say that I absolutley 100% do NOT believe Bravo sets people up - not in NJ, NYC, OC, or anywhere else. I don't believe it in the same way that I don't believe judging is rigged on popular competition shows like American Idol, DWTS, Survivor, etc. The reason I believe this is because the moment those lines are crossed is same moment the public finds out and the networks lose ALL credibility and open themselves up to an endless array of lawsuits.

Another thing I don't believe is that the wives are forced to say or do anything they don't want to sayor do. PERHAPS there is a clause in their contracts stating that they have to participate in a certain number and/or type of activities each season, or provide a certain number of hours of footage, etc. but.....Bravo will NOT force the women to do anything beyond that. Again, it is just NOT in its best interest to do so.

What I do believe, which is what many of the housewives have already stated themselves, is that Bravo sets up dinners, charity events, or other scenario in which the wives can interact. Then, it gives them topics to discuss.

Within that context, the wives choose their own words and behaviors. And, when the housewives and others refer to "stories", my belief is that stories evolve from their own interaction. Bravo gives them a topic, but they weave it into their own drama. Bravo edits accordingly, i.e. to advance the story lines.

One day, when the real housewives franchise has run its course, there will be "where are they now" shows. That's when we'll start hearing if this is true or not. Until then, this is my story and I'm stickin' to it.

---

I'm reminded of the scene in Bridesmaids when Annie gets rear-ended and blames it on Helen. The cop cuts her off and says Helen had nothing to do with it and that it was Annie's fault for not getting her break lights fixed. Bravo is Helen. The rest are Annie, i.e. blaming the world for their own mistakes.
    Last edited by Jexter; 10-01-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typos (wish the screen was larger when penning a response. It's hard to see otherwise. Also, pages load very slowly for me on this new platform.

does Martha Byrne still refer to herself as "ATWT actress"? because not only has the show been gone for about a year, but she wasn't on it for a long while before it ended. I lived her as Lily, and felt a little betrayed when I saw her on GH or AMC or whichever one it was

Rewatching last episode, I have to say... I have lived my entire life in the South, and watching these women makes me feel like an alien watching this from a spacecraft it is so foreign to me - the clothes, the accents, the hair, the makeup, the behavior, the language. Guess that's why I keep watching, pure entertainment.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Rewatching last episode, I have to say... I have lived my entire life in the South, and watching these women makes me feel like an alien watching this from a spacecraft it is so foreign to me - the clothes, the accents, the hair, the makeup, the behavior, the language. Guess that's why I keep watching, pure entertainment.
    I went to high school in New Jersey. I'm a fair-skinned and socially repressed Scandinavian Needless to say, I never fit in.

One thing I give 'em though (and New Yorkers)....they say what they mean and mean what they say. Hearts on the sleeves. I love the honesty and authenticity. I live in the midwest now. While people are polite and friendly, it doesn't feel authentic.

Pros and cons to both sides of "being"!

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I went to high school in New Jersey. I'm a fair-skinned and socially repressed Scandinavian Needless to say, I never fit in.

One thing I give 'em though (and New Yorkers)....they say what they mean and mean what they say. Hearts on the sleeves. I love the honesty and authenticity. I live in the midwest now. While people are polite and friendly, it doesn't feel authentic.

Pros and cons to both sides of "being"!
    Oh! I'm not criticizing! It's just so foreign from anything I've ever experienced, I feel like if I were a space alien, it would be the same!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Oh, midwesterners are flat out honest compared to the stunning inauthenticity of the charming South. :]
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Oh, midwesterners are flat out honest compared to the stunning inauthenticity of the charming South. :]
    Oh, you're so sweet

Prism likes this.

Oh, gawd, I just spent some time south if the Mason-Dixon, and my accent alone sent them into paroxysms of multiple and overlapping "Bless your hearts".
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post

Come to Southern California for inauthenticity!!!
    Nothing is real in La La Land.

FORT Fogey

Sugar MaMa...I didn't take your comments as a criticism. I was trying to agree with your point.

Although as we see by the posts above, every geographical region has its own unique culture. Some are just more extreme than others. And, Bravo has tried just about all of them on one show or another!

+ Reply to Thread