+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2708Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Newbie

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

I just read that Ashley's real dad Matt "John Madison Holmes" and her step mom Jodi are out on bond for arson, insurance fraud & money laundering. Will this give Ashley another reason for a pity party?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I'd certainly throw myself one if they were my parents!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I was just thinking...when I was a little girl, the "housewives" on television, those we thought were "real" were: June Cleaver, Donna Reed, Harriet Nelson, Mrs. Cunningham (Richie's mom, don't remember her name), Edith Bunker.

How things have changed! I have to admit I always had (and probably still do) a strong inner conditioning to strive to be a Donna Reed (which is highly unattainable, in my opinion, so I'll always be a failure at "housewiving") because I watched it on tv. I'm starting to think no one under 18 should be allowed to watch the "Real Housewives" of today's television--Heaven forbid minds get corrupted enough to aspire to be like these women!

On the other hand...they're both extremes that aren't (or shouldn't be) realistic, yes?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I bought Skinny Italian. Cooking is one of my passions, and I wanted to see her more healthy version of classic Italian recipes. I was unimpressed. I don't need a recipe to roast asparagus (place on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, roast in 350 degree oven - that's a recipe???). Her recipes are quite simple, and I imagine they would be helpful to someone just learning how to cook. Like a child! Except, I wouldn't give the book to a child because it's full of snarky, and sometimes off-color, digs at Danielle. It was impossible for me to take this book seriously.

My sister bought the second book, and it's just as basic - family recipes, supposedly. But they are completely unoriginal and there's nothing in it that I do not already have my own version of. I would venture to say that you could download the identical recipes in both books from free Internet cooking sites.
    I used to collect cookbooks, in fact I have a huge collection that I need to sell or donate. I have learned to peruse the cookbooks prior to purchasing them. I can skim through a cookbook and get a grasp as to whether or not the book is worth buying...the roasted asparagus is sooo basic, I am shocked the publisher allowed it! I hope you didn't spend too much money on it and hopefully some sucker will buy it from you at a garage sale or it will go to a good cause if you donate it! Sorry you had to spend your hard earned money on such garbage!
    This is sort of off subject but I purchased a few of Giada's cookbooks (Everyday Italian) and the recipes do not work, nor are they any good...after buying that cookbook is when I learned my lesson. BTW...most recipes are available on line and you can make your own cookbook by printing out your favorite recipes and binding them....

Thanks, Luvsinger! I don't usually buy cookbooks either, and I like to try new ones from my favorite websites as well as contribute my own. Teresa's first cookbook is a joke. It's really funny, though I'm sure she did not intend it to be. I think I'll pass it on to my niece who is a big fan of Tre.
    luvsginger likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it....in this most recent issue of US Weekly, page 9, it states that Teresa was rejected from this upcoming season of Dancing with the Stars, that an "insider" said she "begged producers" to accept her, but the producers said they "wanted real celebrities" -- OUCH
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Poor Tre! They had Kate Gosselin and Bristol Palin. I guess she figures she's at least as much a celebrity as they are. Ouch is right, SM!

HONESTLY -- between ALL of the Housewives shows, I'm fed up. It began as watching fun, rich women "work" their lives, party, get dressed up, shop, bicker, pick, etc. Now we're dealing with more crap than I've ever experienced or CARE to. That is NOT entertainment. I'm on my last thread for ALL of the Housewives shows. Sadly.

I guess it's the sociologist in me... or maybe simply the voyeur in me... still fascinated watching these people who willingly place themselves in the hot glaring spotlight without understanding how absurdly pathetic their lives are, how thoroughly Bravo mines their flaws - and how willingly Bravo exploites their vulnerabilities. Their coarse, shallow lives are slashed open while these "celebrities" expect viewers to emulate and adulate and heap accolades upon them. How very bizarre!

These women really do think they're ultrasuperior and oh so special. But they fail at singing, designing/selling handbags, selling classless books, jewelry, bed sheets, selling squeeze-fat underwear and all manner of sleazy boobified clothing everywhere from OC's line to Wretchen's old clothing on eBay. They spend like drunken Taylors while they're going broke, getting foreclosed upon, losing lawsuits, friendships, their marriages, and now their lives. I wish I had a dissertation to write, b/c the nuances of their collective behavior is just plain fascinating.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    HONESTLY -- between ALL of the Housewives shows, I'm fed up. It began as watching fun, rich women "work" their lives, party, get dressed up, shop, bicker, pick, etc. Now we're dealing with more crap than I've ever experienced or CARE to. That is NOT entertainment. I'm on my last thread for ALL of the Housewives shows. Sadly.
    Exactly my thoughts also. I really used to enjoy the preposterous antics of these strange housewives but not so much anymore. Do you think they honestly believe they are "are that?" And for people who hate the idea of "bullying" they sure do their share of it.
    It's just not fun anymore.
    SugarMama likes this.

+ Reply to Thread