+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2728Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Let's admit it...there's something about women and their sons. I hate how over-valued the males are in this world, and the women tend to be held in much less esteem. You seriously see that in Italian families; my nail techs have educated me that it is that way in Viet Nam, too. So much more is expected of the females. But boys usually have different ways of dealing with their mothers than daughters do, too. Daughters are more competitive with their mothers; sons tend to flatter and have crushes on their mothers. I've seen it in my own son and, of course, I love it! But that's also the only child I have. But I push him to be fiercely independent.

And Ashley and that car....her mother co-signed for it and I guarantee you she'd going to end up getting stuck for it, especially if "Ms. Unrealistic" goes to California.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Caroline's phoniness is getting on my last nerve. She's a helicopter mom with her grown sons, but urges Jacqueline to use an "iron fist." Although, I think Caroline might use hers with her daughter. She seems fairly unconcerned and insensitive when it comes to Lauren and I imagine she'd be helping her pack the car and U-Haul, tearless, if Lauren was heading for LA.

I was agog a few weeks ago when she said that she doesn't have to dislike people just because someone else does. Wasn't that her whole story in the first season? Upbraiding Jacqueline to the point of nearly alienating her with the insistence that she drop her friendship with Danielle? Caroline said it was "disloyal."

As much as I have disliked Teresa in the past seasons, I am finding that I'm more and more empathetic toward her this season. Granted, she is ignorant, deceitful, and someone whose frame of reference is narrow and shallow. But I find myself respecting her work ethic these days. I think she works harder than either Caroline or Jacqueline have in terms of launching a business from the Bravo TV platform, and I think their cattiness toward her over this is obvious. They were cackling gleefully over the newspaper article about Teresa's legal problems. Not nice, ladies - especially since you're on camera and you know Teresa will be watching.
    I always understood that that one was more about family. I think different rules apply when it is a family member who has an issue. Of course that just brings up the contradiction with regard to her falling out with Dina.

Quote Originally Posted by miry View Post
    I thought Teresa was funny in the first season. From the start of the second season, she has had the worst attitude. Why is she so mean? She will lose Caroline and Jacqueline as friends if she continues her bad behavior. No one wants to be associated to a person who always drags down the mood.
    Honestly, I think Teresa's problem is that the world now knows that the crap she has been selling for the last few seasons is just that . . . crap. Outside of that, based on what we read in the papers for what is going on - I can't imagine actually having to live with some of that over my head. That would be enough to make anyone more than a little bitter.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

To be fair, both of Teresa's cookbooks (which I do think are crap) have been NY Times bestsellers. She has been tireless in promoting them with personal appearances, and I think she deserves credit for that.

They were ghost-written, so no credit there. And they are other people's recipes, so ditto. But the promotion of them is something that she has worked hard at and earned success with. I say "Go, T!" for that.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    To be fair, both of Teresa's cookbooks (which I do think are crap) have been NY Times bestsellers. She has been tireless in promoting them with personal appearances, and I think she deserves credit for that.

They were ghost-written, so no credit there. And they are other people's recipes, so ditto. But the promotion of them is something that she has worked hard at and earned success with. I say "Go, T!" for that.
    Just curious Poppy, have you purchased any of the cookbooks and tried the recipes?

Many people have said that Teresa has received a bad edit this season but I don't see it, she seems the same to me this season....

I'm constantly surprised at the behavior of these women. Seeing that "glamor-sexy-shot" photo of Jacqueline in the family/living room was odd. Then I remembered the photo of Melissa, her daughter and her naked pregnant belly, on display at their house. Reminded me of Kim Z (RH of Atlanta) with all her self-portraits everywhere.
    Where do these people come from?? I don't know anyone who'd have those pictures on public display. Nothing wrong with the photos but don't they belong in a private area?
    Poppy, you are absolutely correct about Caroline and her attitude. She's taken on the posture of The God-Mother of the Family, all tough and no nonsense and her bias towards her sons is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    Just curious Poppy, have you purchased any of the cookbooks and tried the recipes?

Many people have said that Teresa has received a bad edit this season but I don't see it, she seems the same to me this season....
    I bought Skinny Italian. Cooking is one of my passions, and I wanted to see her more healthy version of classic Italian recipes. I was unimpressed. I don't need a recipe to roast asparagus (place on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, roast in 350 degree oven - that's a recipe???). Her recipes are quite simple, and I imagine they would be helpful to someone just learning how to cook. Like a child! Except, I wouldn't give the book to a child because it's full of snarky, and sometimes off-color, digs at Danielle. It was impossible for me to take this book seriously.

My sister bought the second book, and it's just as basic - family recipes, supposedly. But they are completely unoriginal and there's nothing in it that I do not already have my own version of. I would venture to say that you could download the identical recipes in both books from free Internet cooking sites.

Teresa is selling herself in these books, not her skills in the kitcen. I actually wonder if she has any.

But the woman obviously has a fan base, and those fans have made her cookbooks NY Times besellers. Even though she didn't write them, and even though the recipes are nothing special. I wish her every success with them. Someone in that family has to bring home the bacon, especially if the "old troll" winds up doing hard time.

I agree that the editing was kinder to Teresa in the previous seasons of RHoNJ. Now, she is portrayed in a harsher light. I see her role this season as the major antagonist. Ashley is the second one. Personally, I think Caroline should get a turn on the hot seat. She's a natural. Judgmental, self-important, full of hot air and self-contradictions. Bonus points for loving the sound of her own voice, too!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I always understood that that one was more about family. I think different rules apply when it is a family member who has an issue. Of course that just brings up the contradiction with regard to her falling out with Dina.
    In my world this doesn't make sense.

Your sister-in-law doesn't get to tell you who you can be friends with. Especially, when you introduced the friend to your sister-in-law. It's laughable.

The family loyalty thing with Caroline was not rational. Especially her comment to Jacqueline at Teresa's dinner party: "You hurt our parents." We've met her parents on the Italy trip. I am sure it would never occur to them to be offended with Jacqueline's choice of friends. If they were upset with anyone, it would be Caroline for stirring her cauldron and brewing up trouble in an otherwise happy family.

ETA: I rather doubt that Caroline's parents watch this show. It would be too embarrassing for them.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post

I agree with what, I think, Poppy said below. I think in the early seasons, Teresa came off as a ditz. Now, there is a harsher, meaner edge to her that I don't remember from the early seasons. I saw it towards Danielle last season, but it is coming out more and more this season - maybe because of the new cast members and the history.

And Poppy - as to my comment on family, no saying it makes sense, I just think that was the reasoning for Carolyn. We don't let friends tell us who we can and can't be friends with. But if someone has offended someone else in the family, well then the "thick as thieves" Manzos must all band together and banish that person from existence.

Quote Originally Posted by katesmom
    And Poppy - as to my comment on family, no saying it makes sense, I just think that was the reasoning for Carolyn. We don't let friends tell us who we can and can't be friends with. But if someone has offended someone else in the family, well then the "thick as thieves" Manzos must all band together and banish that person from existence.
    You are right, of course! Your descrption put me in mind of them ganging up and throwing Kim G. out of someone else's party. On Teresa's behalf, no less.

+ Reply to Thread