+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2848Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    Ashley's position with Lizzie is an unpaid internship that her cousin Albie helped her get through a connection he had. She said that there were several unpaid interns, and that some had been there a long time without getting a permanent paying job. She's supposed to be there every other day, but she sometimes has problems getting a ride to the train station from her house, since she no longer has a car. She gets some money from RHoNJ and other jobs that she has done. From that money she would pay for her apartment. She only wants her parents to co-sign for an apt, not pay for it. She made no reference to attending college, and I'm pretty sure that she not since she wants to move into NYC, intern for Lizzie, and find a job
    Kill me now..lol...but I got this info from her Facebook page.[/d]
    Getting an apartment in Manhattan ($$$$$$$$$) without a job? I would not co-sign a lease for one of my kids under those circumstances. And my kids are uber responsible. Of course, that means they'd never ask us to.

As to calling an unpaid non-academic position an "internship," the loophole is that it's meant to be a learning environment where you are being trained to earn, to learn a business in a hands-on way with mentors who train and supervise your progress and your work. They usually last about 6 months, or just long enough to land an entry level position in the field you want. I know a couple of kids who learned video animation that way and now have paying jobs. From what I've seen, Ashley has a "pretend" internship.

I also think that Ashley is not particularly bright, and that's putting it kindly. Maybe that is why her parents seem so patient with her.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Ashley has serious maturity and entitlement issues, to say the least. Unfortunately for her, her parents don't share her vision of her entitlement. I love it!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    ...As to calling an unpaid non-academic position an "internship," the loophole is that it's meant to be a learning environment where you are being trained to earn, to learn a business in a hands-on way with mentors who train and supervise your progress and your work. They usually last about 6 months, or just long enough to land an entry level position in the field you want. I know a couple of kids who learned video animation that way and now have paying jobs. From what I've seen, Ashley has a "pretend" internship...
    You piqued my interest regarding unpaid internships. It turns out there's quite a controversy regarding them. Ashley mentioned in her Facebook video that she felt a little concerned about interning with Lizzie because others have been there so long without being offered a paying job. I definitely think Ashley's internship is nothing more than show though.

The Unpaid Intern, Legal or Not - NYTimes.com

With job openings scarce for young people, the number of unpaid internships has climbed in recent years, leading federal and state regulators to worry that more employers are illegally using such internships for free labor.

Convinced that many unpaid internships violate minimum wage laws, officials in Oregon, California and other states have begun investigations and fined employers. Last year, M. Patricia Smith, then New York’s labor commissioner, ordered investigations into several firms’ internships. Now, as the federal Labor Department’s top law enforcement official, she and the wage and hour division are stepping up enforcement nationwide.

Many regulators say that violations are widespread, but that it is unusually hard to mount a major enforcement effort because interns are often afraid to file complaints. Many fear they will become known as troublemakers in their chosen field, endangering their chances with a potential future employer...
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I think there are definitely abuses by employers using "interns." While this really works for some workers - bright, ambitious ones who are goal-oriented and driven to learn, for others (who lack these traits) it doesn't. For the essentially unemployable, it never does. And some unscrupulous employers fill their CS departments with just such unpaid people.

And there are employers who just have a revolving door for unpaid interns who are little more than warm bodies in chairs. No training, no mentoring, and no expectations. I guess the dead give-away is when you have 20+ staffers but only 2 of them on your payroll.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    The one I felt really bad for was Gia. She is at an age where she is starting to understand what is happening. She was trying to get her mother away from a volatile situation. I fear this poor child has done this more often than not.
    Without a doubt she has seen this, especially when her parents have been drinking.

On another note what Ashley needs is a kick in the butt.

Oh Melissa, where the heck did youcome from?

I might like Kathy, MIGHT.

The last HWs show I watched was BH ... been waiting forever for this one.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FINALLY got a chance to see this.

Wow.

Just . . .

WOW.

These people are BEYOND amazing.

Most --- or all --- of 'em need to be swaddled in straitjackets and hauled off to the nearest Funny Farm.

Pronto.

No common sense, no brains, no respect for themselves or each other.

Blood be damned.

And one thing that really irritated me . . .

Is it just me, or did anybody else feel that most of the ladies at the christening were dressed inappropriately to be attending a christening? Call me a Puritan or a prude if you will, but JMHO, if you want to run the streets looking like a 10-cent hooker OUTSIDE of a church/formal church function, hey, knock yourself out. However, to roll up in a church, for a christening, dressed as though you were going out clubbing (if not hooking) rather than coming to celebrate a religious event in a religious setting . . .

Sorry, but speaking strictly for myself, that dog just don't hunt.

I think the outfits they chose to wear showed a total lack of respect for themselves, the solemnity and importance of the occasion, and most of all, for the church.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 05-21-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

theresa's brother has no regard for his father.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Noticed from a childhood picture of Theresa that she looked exactly like Gia when she was a child.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes, Gia and Milania really are mini me's of their mom.

Loved the preview where Joe Gorga has on a wig and dress and Melissa tells him he looks like his sister.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread