+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2728Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4057062;
    That's what I figured, it just wasn't entirely clear. It's a tricky subject, because we do need more "Caroline's" so to speak, but so many moms do have to work.

It's interesting that you were talking about T and D, because they seem to be the ones who, when finances were dire, still didn't go out and get a job. If, God forbid, the Brownstone had a terrible fire, do you think Caroline would hesitate to go out and get herself a job? If the Lauritas needed money, I think J would go back to work, and if Tommy messed up his cash flow, I think Dina would get herself back in business in a heartbeat. Whereas Danielle talked and talked and talked about how she had no money, presumably to her young daughters as well, without lifting a finger to help the situation. I believe that it's possible Teresa didn't know how bad it was, but it's also her responsibility to be on top of things.
    Tess could say that she's a published authoress. AFAIK Dina had a business all through the first season.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4057100;
    She didn't go into where it was that she was working...so I thought maybe she meant writing a book was what she called "working". Maybe she has been stomping some extra grapes and making extra tomatoe sauce and selling it...now that could be a business!!
    I think she was praised by Jackie for going to lots and lots of book signings. Which to be fair is said to be exhausting.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4057282;
    Theresa lied when she said to Danielle that she never said anything mean about her in Facebook, Twitter, to the press, etc. I remember some really awful things she said on her Bravo blog about Danielle.
    And does she think all of us are so stupid that we couldn't see what she was up to when she spoke to Danielle at the Fashion show?? "Just saying hi," baloney!!! She meant to make trouble and she got exactly what she wanted.

And for Theresa making fun of Kim G's "old lady crack," she should be careful. Not many people can look as good as Kim G does in that bikini at her age!!! (Sheesh! I'm so jealous.) Theresa should only hope that she looks half that good when she gets up there in age.
    Tess believes her own lies. Danielle often half-smirks so you sort of know she knows it's an utter fib, but Tess seems to reconstruct reality to match her needs.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4057387;
    Real Housewives repeats will be syndicated in fall 2010 + reality blurred

Part of the "raise" TG wants is royalties from this syndication, as well as a percentage of sales of DVDs.
    Well, they should get residuals, IMHO.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4057515;
    Looks like Lady Ashley and Derek have parted ways.
    Shame. Derek was good for Ashley, but I guess he got sick of parenting his girlfriend.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4057541;
    I think that she's at fault too! Joe isn't a world renowned brain surgeon or an A list celebrity. Did he win the lottery? We're talking 11 MILLION dollars! Why would HE be making THAT kind of money? Why wouldn't she think that something was (a little) fishy? That's A LOT of money! This isn't just a few thousand dollars that they owe on some credit card! Sure, there are plenty of self made men who manage to become millionaires but , really, did Teresa think that Joe made that much? Can she explain how they went from rags to riches so fast? She didn't question it AT ALL? Apparently, their lives changed, dramatically, when they moved from their old house to their current one. I don't know the areas of New Jersey but Teresa seems to acknowledge that her old house wasn't in as good of an area. WHY would life, all of a sudden get so good? She never asked? Whatever scam it was that Joe was in on, Teresa was in on it too! She didn't spend 11 million on just hair bows and furniture! There was something else going on to spend that kind of money! People who really do have THAT kind of money don't spend that kind of money! Even people who do (did, Michael Jackson) go broke because of it. Spending 11 MILLION dollars (in just a couple of years) would be a full time job! Teresa is playing the "idiot card" hoping that she won't have to go to jail! She's no idiot, she knew!
    I agree with your diagnosis. Tess knew or should have known that it was a house of cards.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;4058146;
    I think she was praised by Jackie for going to lots and lots of book signings. Which to be fair is said to be exhausting.
    Yes, I watched it again todays and when the money part was brought up Jacqueline said "In her defense, as soon as she found out she started going to appearances every night!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;4057691;
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4057557;
    So what if she's a stay-at-home mom -- like that in itself is some badge of honor. Those kids would probably be better off if someone was babysitting them during the day while she's out working contributing to something in the household and learning some values.

re: the stay at home mom thing. When families that have young children sacrifice material posessions (expensive cars, a bigger house, etc) so that one parent can stay home and take care of the children full time, I think that is very admirable. 99.9999999999% of kids would be better off being taken care of by a parent full time, rather than a babysitter.

If you are speaking specifically of Teresa, and only of Teresa, then I can sort of agree with you
    As the brother of a stay-at-home dad who is raising two wonderful children, thank you for saying "parent" and not mom. Not every stay-at-home parent is a mom.
    Last edited by fluff; 09-12-2010 at 03:54 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4057789;
    Maybe Joe makes her wear a blindfold and earplugs while tied to a chair in a closet, when he's not home.
    DH is no longer asleep since I laughed out loud so loud at that image.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4057757;
    This probably isn't the right thread for this discussion, and if we continue with the topic, it might be a good idea to move it somplace else.

But, I have to wonder from where you derived the 99% statistic? Because it's not borne out in multiple, decades-long studies. Some kids, particularly those with special needs, truly do better with the attention of a full time pare
    nt. Others, however, not so much. There are benefits/advantages to kids of both stay at home moms and working moms. The advantages are emotional, educational, and developmental - not material, although being better equipped to provide, materially, contributes.

The other point you raised, the one that prompted me to reply is this: a career choice is frequently a calling. It's not about material wealth, but about fulfilling what you believe is the reason you were put on earth. Truly. Mothering/child-rearing is a part of that for many women. But it is only a part.

Stay at home moms who do not nurture their career goals while raising kids are at a distinct disadvantage - generally speaking. Eventually, many of them will want to re-enter the work force. Many will start at the bottom, even though they have cultivated skills that are desirable. Without the field experience in the working world to back them up, these skill are unvalidated. If they have been out of the working world for 10 or 15 years without upgrading their skills, their resumes are just not impressive. And, unfortunately, they can't "catch up." Not without acquiring another degree, or further career education. Maybe that is a sacrifice they are willing to accept, and that is fine for them. Working mothers should not be disrespected, or held in less esteem, because they choose differently.

ETA: "Mom Vs. Mom" - New York Magazine - interesting article

Mom Vs. Mom
    This is one of those topics, like politics and religion, that people shouldn't get into, esp here on FORT and the rules about what we can discuss.
    We all have different opinions/beliefs and no one will ever "win" at this discussion. There's both good and bad for each side and who can say what is better? But mostly, what I think I want to say is that we should respect others' choices and not try to prove our way is the right way. Each choice can and does produce wonderful, happy kids and parents which is the desirable result. A study proving either can always be found.

I can't dismiss Theresa's claim that she didn't know their financial situation and say it's ok. She's an adult, in a legal partnership and and it's her responsibility to know what their financial status is and behave accordingly. It's the 21st Century and if women want equality, it should apply to all areas.

+ Reply to Thread