+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2728Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

OK, so, I just googled "Average house price, New Jersey". In the most expensive areas the average price is just under $600,000. I assume that Joe and Teresa "worked" their way up together. I (think) that I know this because she admits to living in a less expensive area before this house. It wasn't like Joe was a multi millionaire, when they married. In that case I could (kinda) see not asking about finances. If they weren't rich but then all of a sudden Joe gives her carte blanche with the credit cards, what did he say to her? How did he explain all of the extra cash? Any one would ask and I'm sure that her family and friends did! They were building a 5 million dollar mansion and he's a contractor? I'd bet that most of their neighbors are professionals possibly with both husband and wife working. Didn't ANY red flags go up? Did she just think that Joe was the world's best contractor? Maybe he was charging $10,000 a month for his run down apartments! It's beyond me how she could ever justify everything. Didn't creditors start writing and knocking at their door when they "only" owed a cool million or two? Maybe it's possible that she didn't notice the first couple of million but 11 Million! Maybe she can't read! Maybe Joe makes her wear a blindfold and earplugs while tied to a chair in a closet, when he's not home. Weren't credit cards declined? I don't get it but I really don't believe that T didn't have a clue. Joe may have kept her in the dark to try to protect her but she must have know that something was up and yet........ she continued to spend. I think that they should both do a little jail time!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4057757;
    This probably isn't the right thread for this discussion, and if we continue with the topic, it might be a good idea to move it somplace else.

But, I have to wonder from where you derived the 99% statistic? Because it's not borne out in multiple, decades-long studies. Some kids, particularly those with special needs, truly do better with the attention of a full time pare
    nt. Others, however, not so much. There are benefits/advantages to kids of both stay at home moms and working moms. The advantages are emotional, educational, and developmental - not material, although being better equipped to provide, materially, contributes.

The other point you raised, the one that prompted me to reply is this: a career choice is frequently a calling. It's not about material wealth, but about fulfilling what you believe is the reason you were put on earth. Truly. Mothering/child-rearing is a part of that for many women. But it is only a part.

Stay at home moms who do not nurture their career goals while raising kids are at a distinct disadvantage - generally speaking. Eventually, many of them will want to re-enter the work force. Many will start at the bottom, even though they have cultivated skills that are desirable. Without the field experience in the working world to back them up, these skill are unvalidated. If they have been out of the working world for 10 or 15 years without upgrading their skills, their resumes are just not impressive. And, unfortunately, they can't "catch up." Not without acquiring another degree, or further career education. Maybe that is a sacrifice they are willing to accept, and that is fine for them. Working mothers should not be disrespected, or held in less esteem, because they choose differently.

ETA: "Mom Vs. Mom" - New York Magazine - interesting article

Mom Vs. Mom

the 99+% is an opinion. Sorry I did not make that clearer in my post. I will try not to pot anything in the future without documentation to back it up

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4057789;
    OK, so, I just googled "Average house price, New Jersey". In the most expensive areas the average price is just under $600,000. I assume that Joe and Teresa "worked" their way up together. I (think) that I know this because she admits to living in a less expensive area before this house. It wasn't like Joe was a multi millionaire, when they married. In that case I could (kinda) see not asking about finances. If they weren't rich but then all of a sudden Joe gives her carte blanche with the credit cards, what did he say to her? How did he explain all of the extra cash? Any one would ask and I'm sure that her family and friends did! They were building a 5 million dollar mansion and he's a contractor? I'd bet that most of their neighbors are professionals possibly with both husband and wife working. Didn't ANY red flags go up? Did she just think that Joe was the world's best contractor? Maybe he was charging $10,000 a month for his run down apartments! It's beyond me how she could ever justify everything. Didn't creditors start writing and knocking at their door when they "only" owed a cool million or two? Maybe it's possible that she didn't notice the first couple of million but 11 Million! Maybe she can't read! Maybe Joe makes her wear a blindfold and earplugs while tied to a chair in a closet, when he's not home. Weren't credit cards declined? I don't get it but I really don't believe that T didn't have a clue. Joe may have kept her in the dark to try to protect her but she must have know that something was up and yet........ she continued to spend. I think that they should both do a little jail time!
    They borrowed $1.7 million on the house/land. It's only worth about 1.5 million now.

Joe has said that they never had money problems before last year in his interview with People in June. He also said that for the last ten years she frequently put 10K a month on her cards, and he always paid them without quesitons. So, yeah. Carte blanche was de rigeur .

As I said earlier, I suspect she knew when the cards went into default and the lawsuits followed. The defaulted cards total almost 90K.

And yeah, she continued to spend. Because she had $280K coming in from Hyperion and a profitable e-business, neither of which they disclosed to the bankruptcy court.

Basically, they are thieves.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4057162;
    I've lived in 4 different states...currently in CA and I can never find a good pizza anywhere other than when I go back home to NY to visit. Believe me...I totally pig out on pizza when I go home....I want to eat it for every meal because once I leave there...I know it'll be a very long time until I get to have a yummy pizza again. Not sure about Jersey...although I think it probably have good pizza like NY, since they are close by each other. I thought Joe was opening a pizza place? What happened to that? If T made homemade sauce to use on that pizza, it might set them apart from other pizzerias.
    Totally agree w. you.
    It's because of the water. I'm not kidding. It's true.
    I'm found some that are better than others, but they're still not quite up to par.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;4057803;
    the 99+% is an opinion. Sorry I did not make that clearer in my post. I will try not to pot anything in the future without documentation to back it up
    And I'm sorry for hauling out the soap box
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I want to go to their pizzeria.
    I like having the different pizzas named for all the family members.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Karennz;4056115;
    There's something I just don't get about Kim G. Aesthetically, she's a strikingly beautiful woman. Great skin, beautiful bone structure, gorgeous hair. Reminds me quite a bit of Princess Grace. Problem is, when Kim G. opens her mouth all I see is ugly. She could be making a positive impact on the world with all that money and influence. And yet she chooses to run around stirring the pot and swearing like a sailor (no offense to sailors), all in the name of securing a position on this train wreck of a TV show. Sad.
    Beauty is only skin deep - ugly is to the bone.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4056545;
    Very well said. Women who become stay at home wives and mothers should not be demeaned for this choice. They don't "live off" their husband's money but do a very hard job(s) which their husband would have to pay someone (nannies, housekeepers, cooks, cleaners, assistants, etc. to do. It's definitely an exchange. I get very frustrated with people who think that women who don't have a regular paying job, do nothing.
    1) I always say "so-and-so's job isn't outside the home."

2) What about Alexis (RHOOC) with her two nannies for three kids plus a cleaning lady?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4056546;
    Danielle portrays herself as someone who is deeply offended by a slur on the gay community, much more so than anyone else in the world, and she acts like this made her stop speaking to Danny Provenzano. Seems to me, watching the show, that she continued her contact and friendship with him after he said those things at the Brownstone. How long was she in shock, rendered speechless??....weeks, months??? She forgets everything was filmed so we know she's now just trying to cover her rear. And after reading the rest of this article, the ego of this woman still astonishes me.
    That comment about her breaking off contact with Danny after the Battle of the Brownstone was (and I say this as somebody who will bend over backward in defense of the underdog Danielle) an

OUT AND OUT LIE.

There. I said it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4056845;
    Yes, I think Bravo has been circling the drain for some time with its original programming. I watched a couple of episodes of RHoNY when it first started and wasn't interested ... only started with NJ because it's the land of my birth (although not the upscale areas shown). I liked the kinder, gentler days of Bravo, with Queer Eye (one of my all-times faves) and Project Runway, and I do like Bethenny's show.
    Heck, I remember when Bravo was all about quality films (as opposed to movies!).

Queer Eye was highly irritating to me as a 'mo. I'm glad it defanged us and did a bit to combat the 'ick factor' but to present gays as effeminate mincers who really love being in the service industries and flirting with straight men was, well, icky to me.

+ Reply to Thread