+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2518Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4057492;
    I can believe that she had no idea things were so dire that they had to file for bankruptcy.

It's her lack of financial responsibility after the BK filing that I find reprehensible and stupid. Not to mention the lying, perjury, and fraud thingie. How stupid can they get?
    Well, Poppy, I also find her lack of financial responsibility before the BK just as reprehensible -- definitely contributed to the BK. She probably had no idea of bankruptcy -- she wasn't even aware of that concept. She wouldn't have believed it if JJ had it tattooed on her.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    Tom Hanks - A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4057473;
    I never said she was an "idiot" but i agreethat she is, among other things. It's a sad state of affairs that she needs to be told by anyone to not be reckless. Geez, I guess no one expects her to be accountable for anything. All Juicy's fault............or Danielle's.
    I think that she's at fault too! Joe isn't a world renowned brain surgeon or an A list celebrity. Did he win the lottery? We're talking 11 MILLION dollars! Why would HE be making THAT kind of money? Why wouldn't she think that something was (a little) fishy? That's A LOT of money! This isn't just a few thousand dollars that they owe on some credit card! Sure, there are plenty of self made men who manage to become millionaires but , really, did Teresa think that Joe made that much? Can she explain how they went from rags to riches so fast? She didn't question it AT ALL? Apparently, their lives changed, dramatically, when they moved from their old house to their current one. I don't know the areas of New Jersey but Teresa seems to acknowledge that her old house wasn't in as good of an area. WHY would life, all of a sudden get so good? She never asked? Whatever scam it was that Joe was in on, Teresa was in on it too! She didn't spend 11 million on just hair bows and furniture! There was something else going on to spend that kind of money! People who really do have THAT kind of money don't spend that kind of money! Even people who do (did, Michael Jackson) go broke because of it. Spending 11 MILLION dollars (in just a couple of years) would be a full time job! Teresa is playing the "idiot card" hoping that she won't have to go to jail! She's no idiot, she knew!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4057541;
    I think that she's at fault too! Joe isn't a world renowned brain surgeon or an A list celebrity. Did he win the lottery? We're talking 11 MILLION dollars! Why would HE be making THAT kind of money? Why wouldn't she think that something was (a little) fishy? That's A LOT of money! This isn't just a few thousand dollars that they owe on some credit card! Sure, there are plenty of self made men who manage to become millionaires but , really, did Teresa think that Joe made that much? Can she explain how they went from rags to riches so fast? She didn't question it AT ALL? Apparently, their lives changed, dramatically, when they moved from their old house to their current one. I don't know the areas of New Jersey but Teresa seems to acknowledge that her old house wasn't in as good of an area. WHY would life, all of a sudden get so good? She never asked? Whatever scam it was that Joe was in on, Teresa was in on it too! She didn't spend 11 million on just hair bows and furniture! There was something else going on to spend that kind of money! People who really do have THAT kind of money don't spend that kind of money! Even people who do (did, Michael Jackson) go broke because of it. Spending 11 MILLION dollars (in just a couple of years) would be a full time job! Teresa is playing the "idiot card" hoping that she won't have to go to jail! She's no idiot, she knew!
    Exactly, TV. I'm just curious if she has any concept of money although she did have a job in the past. She would have to fit in the category of marrying some dude and have him make all the money and she depended on it -- living off her husband's money. So what if she's a stay-at-home mom -- like that in itself is some badge of honor. Those kids would probably be better off if someone was babysitting them during the day while she's out working contributing to something in the household and learning some values. At least they would be getting some kind of discipline. I recall once Danielle telling her (I'm paraphrasing), "Don't forget where you came from."

If nothing else, you'd think she would have bought a dress that fits her.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4057541;
    It's possible that she didn't know. For 10 years, she had free rein to run up her credit cards and he paid the bills. It took them 3-4 years to build that house because he was in a credit crunch for much of that time. They owe hundreds of thousands to the people who extended credit to them and built that monstrosity. About half their $11 million debt is "unsecured," personal debt. Basically, at some point, he stopped paying everyone. Teresa could have been unaware of this up until the time her own cards were cut off, because she probably never paid any of their bills. She may have found out about their staggering debt when she asked him to come clean with her about the $89K in defaulted credit card debt. They were getting sued at this point. Bankruptcy was just the icing on the cake.

But she never stopped spending, and she hid her income from the court. Her spending sprees (like the $60K on furnishings days after filing for BK) seem, to me, to be a frantic attempt to keep her assets a secret. So, so stupid. She's spending money from her e-business and book advances and comingling funds. She no longer has a personal checking account (Joe took her checkbook). Joe has her on a "budget" and even buys all the groceries - and, still, it's designer shoes, dresses, handbags, and pretending to be faaaaabulous.

I think they will be denied their Chapter 7 relief - and possibly face some very serious charges. She is defintely equally responsible for the fraud they tried to perpetrate on the court. Throwing Joe under the bus with the "I didn't know!" claim isn't going to save her a$$. Even if it is true.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4057603;
    I think they will be denied their Chapter 7 relief - and possibly face some very serious charges. She is defintely equally responsible for the fraud they tried to perpetrate on the court. Throwing Joe under the bus with the "I didn't know!" claim isn't going to save her a$$. Even if it is true.
    Isn't it true that if you are married to someone, you are just as responsible (legally speaking of course) as they are even if you didn't know anything? I had a friend whose ex-husband cheated on their taxes when they were still married and well after the divorce, when she was already married to someone else, the IRS came after her for money and took funds from her bank accounts for the fraud perpetrated by her ex when they were married. She had no idea he had cheated on the taxes, yet she was still responsible because they were married at the time of the fraud. Of course this was many years ago....perhaps things have changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4057616;
    Isn't it true that if you are married to someone, you are just as responsible (legally speaking of course) as they are even if you didn't know anything? I had a friend whose ex-husband cheated on their taxes when they were still married and well after the divorce, when she was already married to someone else, the IRS came after her for money and took funds from her bank accounts for the fraud perpetrated by her ex when they were married. She had no idea he had cheated on the taxes, yet she was still responsible because they were married at the time of the fraud. Of course this was many years ago....perhaps things have changed since then.
    That is true, in terms of finances/debts. But not necessarily prison sentences.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4057616;
    I'm not an attorney, but assuming they filed a joint return and she signed it, case closed.

Other than that, community assets and debts are a whole other ball of wax.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4057557;
    So what if she's a stay-at-home mom -- like that in itself is some badge of honor. Those kids would probably be better off if someone was babysitting them during the day while she's out working contributing to something in the household and learning some values.

re: the stay at home mom thing. When families that have young children sacrifice material posessions (expensive cars, a bigger house, etc) so that one parent can stay home and take care of the children full time, I think that is very admirable. 99.9999999999% of kids would be better off being taken care of by a parent full time, rather than a babysitter.

If you are speaking specifically of Teresa, and only of Teresa, then I can sort of agree with you
    Last edited by fluff; 09-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;4057691;
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4057557;
    So what if she's a stay-at-home mom -- like that in itself is some badge of honor. Those kids would probably be better off if someone was babysitting them during the day while she's out working contributing to something in the household and learning some values.

re: the stay at home mom thing. When families that have young children sacrifice material posessions (expensive cars, a bigger house, etc) so that one parent can stay home and take care of the children full time, I think that is very admirable. 99.9999999999% of kids would be better off being taken care of by a parent full time, rather than a babysitter.

If you are speaking specifically of Teresa, and only of Teresa, then I can sort of agree with you
    Yes, I was only referring to Theresa. I just didn't think she deserves to be in the "stay-at-home" category as those women who are and do as you described.
    Last edited by fluff; 09-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;4057691;

This probably isn't the right thread for this discussion, and if we continue with the topic, it might be a good idea to move it somplace else.

But, I have to wonder from where you derived the 99% statistic? Because it's not borne out in multiple, decades-long studies. Some kids, particularly those with special needs, truly do better with the attention of a full time pare
    nt. Others, however, not so much. There are benefits/advantages to kids of both stay at home moms and working moms. The advantages are emotional, educational, and developmental - not material, although being better equipped to provide, materially, contributes.

The other point you raised, the one that prompted me to reply is this: a career choice is frequently a calling. It's not about material wealth, but about fulfilling what you believe is the reason you were put on earth. Truly. Mothering/child-rearing is a part of that for many women. But it is only a part.

Stay at home moms who do not nurture their career goals while raising kids are at a distinct disadvantage - generally speaking. Eventually, many of them will want to re-enter the work force. Many will start at the bottom, even though they have cultivated skills that are desirable. Without the field experience in the working world to back them up, these skill are unvalidated. If they have been out of the working world for 10 or 15 years without upgrading their skills, their resumes are just not impressive. And, unfortunately, they can't "catch up." Not without acquiring another degree, or further career education. Maybe that is a sacrifice they are willing to accept, and that is fine for them. Working mothers should not be disrespected, or held in less esteem, because they choose differently.

ETA: "Mom Vs. Mom" - New York Magazine - interesting article

Mom Vs. Mom
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-09-2010 at 07:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread