+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2848Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Regular

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Unable to sleep last night, I watched the two Italy vacation episodes for the first time & back-to-back. My initial reaction is to question the reason(s) the Manzos/Lauritas are close friends with the Guidices & welcome them into their family circle. Teresa is obnoxious, clueless, selfish, & blantantly wannabe, while Joe has a poor attitude & lacks basic manners; their innocent children reflect their qualities. IMHO they're not entertaining, rather entitled & delusional; I'm surprised the relatives, who attempt to portray themselves as dignified, honest, & down-to-earth, would choose to associate with them.

My next thought: is there anyone in these families who aren't mooches? Three generations took the opportunity to visit the homeland on Bravo's tab? Although, after this experience, I doubt there's any amount of money that would entice most of these extended family members to travel together anytime soon (clueless Teresa excluded, since she thought the reason Caroline was upset babysitting her girls while she/Joe enjoyed alone time was because she dislikes cruises - which, incidently, should have discouraged her from asking Caroline to babysit in the first place).

After receiving a couple vacations - one in Europe; numerous tacky clothes/faux jewelry shopping sprees for herself & children; lunches/dinners; oversized/gaudy/faux OldWorld-inspired furnishings; implants; childbirth; a catered housewarming party; an over-the-top Christening celebration; an elaborate 10th wedding anniversary; a supersized 9th birthday party & gift; child's modeling lessons/interviews/Fashion Week walk; etc., it's not surprising Teresa flips tables, chases castmates through country clubs, & other outrageous acts - it's for job security/the perks (which she obviously cannot otherwise afford).
    Last edited by *angela; 08-28-2010 at 09:40 PM.

FORT Regular

Prediction: Next season we'll be watching the Manzos dropping Teresa like a hot potato. They have to be realizing that she is unhinged, unpredictable (and perfect for next season's crazy).
    If the franchise returns next season, I agree it will likely revolve around the relatives distancing themselves from the Guidices & their public financial troubles.

From the beginning, it appeared (& perhaps was supported by her arranging her deal separate from the others) that Danielle was added to the cast to pierce the circle & expose the carefully-protected image of the relatives plus Teresa. If so, her purpose on the show has certainly been fulfilled. Given this season's editing, the spin-off ventures of the cast (e.g. Danielle = music; Teresa = cookbook; Dina = jewelry/decor), & recent blog/appearance quips at each other, I also wouldn't be surprised if RHoNJ ends.

FORT Fogey

Well.... if you're of the older generation, Caroline's mother, maybe, and you get offered a free trip with your daughter, her husband and his family, and her sister-in law and her family, to ITALY, and a cruise, with some or all of it paid for, wouldn't you take it? They probably didn't know Teresa, or her girls, and therefore didn't know any better!

Jacqueline's children seem very well-behaved on the trip. Some kids are just good travelers. And some kids are Guidices.

I think J and Caroline are definitely starting to see the cracks in Teresa's persona, the mean girl that lives within.

FORT Regular

Well.... if you're of the older generation, Caroline's mother, maybe, and you get offered a free trip with your daughter, her husband and his family, and her sister-in law and her family, to ITALY, and a cruise, with some or all of it paid for, wouldn't you take it? They
    Per your example, Caroline's mother was actually traveling with her daughter (Caroline), son-in-law (Albert), son (Chris), daughter-in-law (Jacqueline), two grandchildren (Chris & Jacqueline's two boys), & her son's in-laws (Jacqueline's parents). Plus, Joe, Teresa, their four young children, Joe's parents, Teresa's parents, & at least one camera crew. To answer your question, I wouldn't accept an all-expense-paid trip to Italy under these circumstances regardless my age.

FORT Fan

Having traveled to Europe several times, it is NOT a vacation spot for small children who have behavioral problems. I knew it would have been disasterous for Teresa's divas in training. However, taking a baby might work with a well-prepared parent. Here's why: a lot of walking. They probably weren't prepared to walk long distances in a short amount of time and strange instances of exertion, like when they climbed the stairs into the Guidice family home. Also, goods in Europe are expensive in comparison to the dollar (with the U.S. weak economy), so people must share and ration meals (Hence why Joe was pissed at the expensive breakfast that "sucked"). You WILL get hungry and tired. Walking is endless. Culture is different so foods taste different, even though the dish may look the same. A trip to Europe is not for folk like the Guidices. Just my humble opinion.

FORT Fogey

You're absolutely right. We went to France last summer, and spent two days in Paris before going to the Southern countryside to visit my uncle. European cities are walking cities. We did it in July and it was the hottest I've ever been. A baby wouldn't be that bad, in one of those backpacks or a stroller, as long as you have snacks/bottles/pacifiers, anything to keep them pleased. We did our trip with two 8 year olds, both of whom were extremely well-behaved, and they still had trouble given the time change and the difference in food and all the walking.

Quote Originally Posted by *angela;4051191;
    Per your example, Caroline's mother was actually traveling with her daughter (Caroline), son-in-law (Albert), son (Chris), daughter-in-law (Jacqueline), two grandchildren (Chris & Jacqueline's two boys), & her son's in-laws (Jacqueline's parents). Plus, Joe, Teresa, their four young children, Joe's parents, Teresa's parents, & at least one camera crew. To answer your question, I wouldn't accept an all-expense-paid trip to Italy under these circumstances regardless my age.
    Yeah, but if they knew Caroline/Albert and Jacqueline/Chris, and they obviously knew their grandchildren and Chris's in-laws, they'd know that J&C's kids were no trouble (unless we didn't see it, but I don't think that baby cried once on camera) and they would know Jacqueline's parents. So the unknown factor would be Guidices, and what an unknown factor they are!

I don't know I'm just the kind of person who would have said "It'll be an adventure... in Italy!" and gone. Unless I'd had previous experience with the three older Guidice girls.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4051218;
    So the unknown factor would be Guidices, and what an unknown factor they are!
    Not to split hairs or put too fine a point on this, but Albert definitely
    knows what the Giudice kids are like, and he made it clear (twice) that he had no wish to vacation with them. We are left to suppose that Bravo insisted upon it.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Oh, of course Albert knows. I think you missed the original point that was being discussed, which was that someone was questioning why the older generation (i.e. Chris and Caroline's parents, Jacqueline's parents) would go. So, Albert knowing what the Guidice kids are like, while true, isn't particularly relevant.

I don't know that Bravo insisted upon it. I don't think they can insist that people leave the country. Remember on the RHNY reunion when CrazyKelly claimed she was forced into the True Renewal vacation?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4051268;
    Oh, of course Albert knows. I think you missed the original point that was being discussed, which was that someone was questioning why the older generation (i.e. Chris and Caroline's parents, Jacqueline's parents) would go. So, Albert knowing what the Guidice kids are like, while true, isn't particularly relevant.
    I guess my point is that Albert - who clearly expressed his objection to traveling with the children to Caroline - would have raised that concern to her parents. I know my husband would have.

And who knows? Maybe he did. A trip to the old country may have outweighed the annoyance and inconvenience of traveling with the little kids. Didn't someone on the show imply that the grandparents came on the trip to help babysit? I would not have imposed that on my parents, not with some of those particular children. Maybe, that's why Caroline and Albert pitched in with the babysitting - they took mercy on the older folks.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4051268;
    I don't think they can insist that people leave the country. Remember on the RHNY reunion when CrazyKelly claimed she was forced into the True Renewal vacation?
    I don't watch RHNY and I am not privy to the terms of the Manzos' contracts with Bravo. But if they agreed to film in the locations Bravo selects, unless they could not comply for health reasons Caroline and Albert would be obliged to go, and Bravo would be obliged to pay expenses like passports, travel, and lodging.

Listening to Joe's rantings, I have to wonder what their per diem was.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 08-29-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Ohh I understand now. Like I said before, I know for me, a trip to Italy would outweigh the Guidice girls. And yes, I believe Teresa implied that the older generation was there to babysit. And she then used everyone around her as free babysitting. I don't think she's a mean person, but I think she's extraordinarily self-centered and has no sense of self-control.

I don't think it was contractual that they appear. I do think that it would have been more the trip that Albert was envisioning had Teresa not foisted the fearsome three on them. I'm sure it sounded to them like a few days on the cruise, where they could pursue their own activities at least some of the time, and then a few days as a group the whole time.

+ Reply to Thread