+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2541Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

  1. #3671
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    Even if she were fluent in Italian, she still wouldn't have been "in charge" there. It was not her house or her family. Seemed to me more like she just felt uncomfortable about not being able to understand or participate in the conversations.

  2. #3672
    Brevity Impaired bahurupiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    87

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4040578;
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I liked the way they juxtaposed the stories last night - Danielle searching for her parentage and Teresa, et al, finding theirs.
    Well if you are, I'm in that minority with you! I tend to get carried away on tangents and belaboring one thing to death, and in the process completely forget about whole other things that are even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4040578;
    I find this show a hoot...
    That is the perfect word for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4040578;
    Danielle's "ethniticity" comment...
    Yes, that is so destined to become a classic! And we were there the very moment it happened! Wherever he was, Andy Cohen was bouncing up and down so hard, my dishes rattled on the kitchen shelves, and I was obliged to re-hang several ancestral portraits.
    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4040578;
    Both Staub daughters always look so pained whenever their mother engages them in a "private" converstion replete with endless Bravo cameras. Ya gotta love it!!...
    It's a valuable object lesson for all young viewers passing through that poignant life stage of being continuously mortified by everything their parents, do, say, wear, or drive: It could be worse, my young friends, oh, so much worse!
    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4040804;
    Something that I thought was odd on last night's show. When they all got up the hill to visit the relatives, first at the grandmother's and then at the next house, they were asked (by family) "Who are all of these people?"...like they were surprised that this giant group of people (with a camera crew) had showed up. It seems like the family would have been alerted to to the fact that a huge crowd would be showing up.
    I assumed that they probably had told somebody, but maybe all the relatives hadn't gotten the whole story - that it wouldn't be just Joe and Theresa & their kids coming for a "regular" family visit so much as a "location shoot" for a US TV show. I'm not up on the laws in Italy about signing releases, etc, I know not every country has the same kind of requirements as in the US, where without the release, they can't show the person at all (the reason we see faces pixelated/blurred out from time to time, even when they are right there in the scene with the principals).
    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4040804;
    ...She wasn't comfortable that everyone was speaking Italian...she said something about when her parents...wanted to be American so they didn't speak Italian...Possibly, she was so sick of Teresa, Joe and the kids, at that point, that she just didn't feel like being there and had a bad attitude
    Yes, I caught that, and of course immediately pounced on all that delicious fodder for massive holding forth on multiple interesting cultural kebabs and got all excited thinking I had hit major blogrant paydirt!

    But then, like you, I thought it was equally likely that she was expressing more mundane and universal sentiments - like being tired, annoyed with the constant high-decibel shrieking thoughtfully provided by the little Giudices (and their mother!), maybe feeling a little "left out" of the fun, or even that her comment indicated maybe a little regret or even a relatively modest level of zeal for her parents' choices.

    I'm still not sure about that, but I sure enjoyed rolling my eyes at her repeated declarations that she had expected this to be just a quiet little family trip where she would be able to enjoy "alone time" with her husband that just wasn't possible back in Jersey... Really, Caro? Have you MET Theresa? (Not to mention her brood of screaming mini-shes in nightmarish headdresses from the hot pink hair accessory bag...)

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4040804;
    ...Nothing wrong with anyone learning more than one language...
    Oh YAY! I'm going to get a little clod of that paydirt after all, no matter what Caroline meant!

    As I'm sure you know, but in case there are any lurkers who may be edified, different cultures vary widely on that subject. In some societies, being multi-lingual is viewed as something almost as basic and rudimentary as toilet training, while in others, where a high value is placed on education and learning about the world "beyond the kitchen window," it can be seen as desirable because it's considered an indication that the person has spent a lot of time on scholarly pursuits, and has acquired a more sophisticated worldview and knowledge about all those different people and places.

    In still others, typically more "isolated" societies with a history of limited contact with other groups and populations, the prevailing view is that the immediate core group is considered not only of primordial importance, but so inherently superior to other groups that an interest in them, to the point of serious study, familiarity, or actually learning another language, is viewed as less desirable, or even disloyal to that primary group. In olden times, of course, that kind of isolation was much more common than it is today - think of all those ancient tribes whose word for the tribe is the same as the word for "people!"

    Where it gets really interesting is when we see those same mores in groups or subgroups within "modern" societies, who aren't "isolated," haven't been for centuries, if ever, and for whom contact with other groups has long been an institutionalized and everyday occurrence!

    A few weeks ago, in the checkout line of a big box store in a large US city, I overheard a lady express, to a very sympathetic companion, displeasure to the point of anger that her little girl was becoming bilingual, not because she was studying any other languages, but simply as a result of playing and going to school with other children!

    Caroline's remarks may have been a reference to a phenomenon that is not uncommon among people who migrate from one homogeneous society to another - that's just a different "genuous" than they are!

    It was done by many people of her parents' generation who migrated to the US, and was frequently motivated more by a desire for their children to be less subject to anti-Otherness, as well as the hope that fluency in English might result in their earning a higher wage when they grew up, than an active desire to "be" a particular nationality.

    Some people even changed their family names, choosing surnames that were more common among the mainstream demographic - so if Caroline's parents had really wanted to go hard-core with it, we might be watching the story of the Mason or Mansfield family!
    Last edited by bahurupiya; 08-17-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

  3. #3673
    FORT Fan stcroix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    391

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    I thought all the non-Guidices acted like they really didn't care to go see Joe's family. All the complaints about the steps,not being able to converse with the family,the babies and 'old people' couldn't even make it,etc-- I got the feeling they were humoring Teresa by going on the family jaunt when they would have rather had their own little family quiet vacation time. Was I mistaken? Caroline and her husband seemed to long for some quiet time away from Teresa's kids. And Jackie was critical (in her usual smiling way) about everything in my opinion. I've been dragged along on someone's personal vacation before and maybe I was just remembering how uncomfortable I felt!

  4. #3674
    FORT Fanatic Holly in SoCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    539

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    One thing I did like about last night's show...I really enjoyed seeing Italy...I've never been there so it was a real treat seeing the various locales.

    Did anyone notice how once again...Teresa had to tell Joe 3x's that she loved him before he said it back...that was during the scene in their bed. I think he finally said it back because he knew he wouldn't get a moment's rest otherwise. During the baby's christening party...she also said it to him twice but he never said it back. I still think that something is very wrong in their marriage. But of course, when I said that way back when about Kate & Jon...people thought I was crazy....no one I knew thought that...but now...look at them.

  5. #3675
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    I think it probably would have been better to separate for a while at the end of the trip. You know, the Guidices can go see their families, and the Manzos can go have their alone time, and the Lauritas could go somewhere fun for their little one, more family oriented, maybe the beach or something??

  6. #3676
    FORT Fanatic Holly in SoCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    539

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4041059;
    I think it probably would have been better to separate for a while at the end of the trip. You know, the Guidices can go see their families, and the Manzos can go have their alone time, and the Lauritas could go somewhere fun for their little one, more family oriented, maybe the beach or something??
    That would have been a very wise thing to do...that way they would all come home feeling like they had their own special time with their own immediate families. But maybe Bravo did not want to hire a bunch of separate crews to follow each family? Or maybe there would have been less drama...you know...it's ALL about the drama!

  7. #3677
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    ^^Probably the only way Bravo would pay for it is if they stayed together the whole time, and I guess it's a small price to pay for a trip to Italy! It seems as though that's the only way two of those families were going to be able to take a vacation like that right now, since Chris's business has also filed bankruptcy. I bet that unlike Joe, though, he had something set up just in case so it wouldn't ruin his family too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4041056;
    One thing I did like about last night's show...I really enjoyed seeing Italy...I've never been there so it was a real treat seeing the various locales.

    Did anyone notice how once again...Teresa had to tell Joe 3x's that she loved him before he said it back...that was during the scene in their bed. I think he finally said it back because he knew he wouldn't get a moment's rest otherwise. During the baby's christening party...she also said it to him twice but he never said it back. I still think that something is very wrong in their marriage. But of course, when I said that way back when about Kate & Jon...people thought I was crazy....no one I knew thought that...but now...look at them.
    I bet Teresa's making him crazy!!! Have you noticed he's sweating more this season?? One of my cousins said she thinks he's sweating more because of Teresa's refusal to slow down the spending!!

  8. #3678
    FORT Fanatic Holly in SoCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    539

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4041075;
    I bet Teresa's making him crazy!!! Have you noticed he's sweating more this season?? One of my cousins said she thinks he's sweating more because of Teresa's refusal to slow down the spending!!
    Well...that is certainly a very good reason to sweat!! It must have been very expensive to have 4 custom designed (even if they were hideous) outfits for the girls...how much does Bravo actually pay for? Do they accommodate Teresa on all her wild spending sprees and pay for every whim that she comes up with? I would think they would have to draw the line somewhere. I thought it was hilarious watching T climbing up those cobblestone streets and crazy hillside stairs (near the oranges where Joe made the ignorant comment about oranges and "what are we, in Florida?"...as if there aren't oranges grown anywhere else) in those high heel boots (everyone else had sensible shoes on)...however when they showed her climbing the stairs to her own home once they arrived back from vacation...she was wearing these furry, flat (no heels) boots. Guess it's harder to climb marble than cobblestone!! And T mentioned she had been to that part of Italy twice before...did she not know that flat shoes are a MUST on that terrain?? Sheesh!!

  9. #3679
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    Well.... maybe she was trying to fit in with the boots? I remember being in Paris in my sneakers walking all over the place and sticking out like a sore thumb because Parisian women wear gorgeous heels EVERYWHERE, and I've heard it's like that in Italy too. Probably not in rural Italy though.

    I think Bravo pays for these trips and stuff but they don't pay for her shopping and such.

  10. #3680
    FORT Fanatic Holly in SoCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    539

    Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

    That area where her and Joe were from and their family was living did not strike me as the "fashion" capital of the world...lol However...I can definitely see your point in Paris and feeling out of place there in sneakers....

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.