+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2787Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

My parents have been divorced since I was two. My mom, brother and I lived in a different state than my dad, therefore, my mom had to do the leg work with a lot of things in regards to us kids and then tell my dad to get his input. His response was always 'I trust you make the right decision for our kids' and he was right. My mom never deliberately put us in harms way and if decisions were made that turned out not so good, she pulled us out.

So assuming Lexie's dad thinks Dina is a good mom, he may not be all that concerned about the details (like my dad wasn't) because he trusts Dina is going to do right by Lexie. Doesn't make him a bad dad.

FORT Fogey

I don't know that either is bad, but they are both dumb.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3970191;
    Saying that Dina's ex should have known about this show / watched it before Lexie appeared doesn't seem too valid, IMO.
    With that kind of argument / logic, one could also say that nobody in this world should be obese because they've been educated about food content. Nobody should drink / smoke or do drugs because they've been educated about what they do to you. Etc, etc, etc......

We all know that the majority of us do not heed these things, so it's kind of moot to say that people who go on these reality shows should hold themselves to a higher standard. And, besides, if they did, who the heck would we be able to poke fun at?!!
    Actually, a lot of us do heed those things. To act otherwise is to be sort of delusional, IMO. I am not judging them by a higher standard than the one we observe in our own home, quite the contrary.

The fact that these yahoos think they're holding themselves up as something to be admired and emulated, while we laugh at them, is what makes the tv so compelling. That, and the editing, which shows them saying one thing and then doing the complete opposite. It's like Jane Austen on steriods:

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" -- Mr. Bennett, Pride and Prejudice

That being said, it's not nice to be a kid and to be on the wrong side of the joke, especially when you've had no choice about participating.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

I think the only kids on the show who could be looked as being 'forced' on the show are Teresa's kids because they are so young. Lexie is old enough to have a voice on whether she wants to be on the show.

FORT Fan

Children, by definition, lack legal capacity to make such a decision. I have no idea if any of them were given a voice, it would be nice if they had been, but that does not abrogate the parents' responsibility to act for them and in their best interest.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

FORT Fogey

I think we're all missing something here. Did Lexi suffer as a result of the show? Was she shown in any unfavorable light? Was she shown doing bad things (i.e. drinking in a bowling alley bathroom a la Lynne's kids)? Or did she come off as a perfectly normal, well-adjusted young lady who had a lovely relationship with her mother? We didn't even see that much of her.

I think her father had no idea what the other ladies were going to say and do, and he had simply NO WAY of knowing. Think about it. The women consisted of two of his ex sister's in law, his ex-wife, presumably all of whom he knows pretty well. A friend of the family and Danielle. He would have every reason to believe they would behave themselves appropriately with Lexi, and she would not be in harm's way. Teresa's flip-out at that dinner and Danielle... being Danielle ended that.

What about the possibility that Lexi's dad objected to her being on the show AFTER Danielle's actions... i.e. he didn't want to leave his daughter around her?

Also, I don't think it's paranoid of Dina to think Danielle did what she did on the off-chance it would cause Lexi to be taken from her care. Remember who Danielle is... she probably told everyone she could what she was doing, because in her sick crazy-land people are on her side.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3970310;
    I think the only kids on the show who could be looked as being 'forced' on the show are Teresa's kids because they are so young. Lexie is old enough to have a voice on whether she wants to be on the show.
    I agree. But on the other hand, Teresa's kids are still young enough that judging them for their behavior is kind of dumb, and catty, because they're so young that it's still mostly parenting, and Caroline's kids are old enough that they are their own people and understand how they come off to other people.

But Lexi, and even Ashley, are still teenagers, and so they're still departing from what their parents have taught them, and making their own mistakes and saying dumb things and such. But a lot of people don't keep this in mind, so they'll say really cruel things about them, and it can really hurt them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3970310;
    I'm a grown woman and pretty tough skinned and I would not be able to take the criticism that is directed at everyone on a reality show, beloved or not. There is no way I'd subject a teenager to the vagaries of internet blogging. And there's no way you'd be able to keep that kid from seeing the tweets and the facebook posts and the forum posts and the gossip sites. A kid her age would be reading every single comment about her. Good or bad. Being a kid is tough enough, and no kid should do it on a reality show. It should not be up to Lexi to decide anyway. Here's what I'll say about the dad that is positive: he woke up and smelled the coffee. And, good for him for not trying to climb onto that wreck himself in some weasely way.

I would not be surprised to see Dina try some other reality venue. Maybe Big, Fat, Fabulous Vow Renewal.

I never saw Dina when she was on that wedding show.
    And I have no idea if she'll try another reality show.
    What I will say is that she came across, to me anyway, as one of the nicest and most normal and natural people to appear on a reality show.
    I can't say that aboout very many people who appear on these shows.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

To say that Lexi's father should have known is, IMO, kind of ridiculous and holds him up to a standard that is just beyond reasonable expectations for him or anyone else. People in this world make mistakes ... frequently, daily, little mistakes, medium-sized ones and huge ones (BP oil, Toyota, Sandra Bullock, etc.) ... in every walk of life: TV, politics, business, personal, etc.

I don't know the man, but I sincerely doubt he watched any of the RH shows, and as far as checking out what the show would be like, exactly who would tell him the truth? Andy Cohen? Other Bravo executives? Of course not. There was no way for him to check it out beforehand. As tears.and.rain said, it's understandable to most reasonable people that he would figure his daughter was safe with her mother, two aunts, and a close family friend. There was no way to account for Danielle, and even if Bravo had a certified letter from her shrink stating she was a dangerous person to associate with, they would not have given that information to Lexi's father so he would have some idea what to anticipate. So the man made a mistake letting his daughter be filmed a few times for the show, and he corrected it when he realized that. So shoot him. Geesh.

+ Reply to Thread