+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3476Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

They went to Cypress, and Dina said something to the effect that there would be future trips so she had to get over the thing with Lexi traveling there. I would imagine that he has family there, but not that he lives there.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3969979;
    He was in cahoots enough that Danielle was feeding him names and numbers. And, why would NJ be any different than any other Housewife or reality show in general for that matter. Would you put your child on any Housewife franchise? On a reality show? I don't need to see a screening to know I don't want my kids in a position where they are going to get torn apart by bloggers or any way associated with the sleazy reality medium.
    It's possible that the things she was telling him (which were most likely all untrue), which involved his daughter, he felt might need to be looked into. It does not mean they are in cahoots with one another. I mean, that's kind of reaching.

I wouldn't go on a reality show myself, let alone involve my family in it, but that doesn't mean people who do are beneath any of us. Also, she had been on a reality show once before (which I believe Lexie also appeared in) she may have been naive enough to think RHWNJ would be just as mild.

All the HW franchises are different in their own way. NJ is a lot more fiery than the NY or OC.

FORT Fan

Would you put your child on any Housewife franchise? On a reality show? I don't need to see a screening to know I don't want my kids in a position where they are going to get torn apart by bloggers or any way associated with the sleazy reality medium.
    I think this is the whole point of this particular issue -- if I were to paraphrase the argument, it's that

1. Dina and Ex had to approve of Lexi being on the show.

2. This franchise has been on the air for several years in different venues -- most of us would agree that the others are more tame than NJ.

3. None of the kids portrayed in any of the RHs are better for the exposure. The ones who come off the best -- Jena's daughter who goes to UCLA and her minor-league son -- still look like smug, self-satisfied yahoos, especially after getting breast enhancements at 20 or playing in the BBB minors wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Throw in Tamra's oldest son, a study in loserdom, or Lauri Waring's heroin-addled eldest, and there's plenty of evidence that national TV exposure ain't healthy. Not that reality tv caused these slackers to go off the deep end, but it sure didn't help their life prospects.

4. Dina and Ex would have known about this at the very least. As Ube points out, if they didn't, then they are idiots. Actually, Ube's being more kind than I would be -- I think they're committing a form of abuse whether or not they knew. Parenting requires that we protect our children from known and potential harms. Teens are naturally obsessed with what others think of them; it's a time that they are particularly vulnerable to outside feedback. It's not a time to expose them to the ridicule and scrutiny that comes when a national TV crew enters one's bedroom. A bit of diligence would have shown D&E and other parents what their kids were in for.

5. The fact that NJ is by degrees more severe, dramatic and violent only underscores their initial negligence in allowing their children on the show. No, they probably didn't know that NJ would be as bad as it is, but they did have notice of the way that reality TV eats its young. I concur that you'd have to be crazy to allow-- much less encourage -- your kids to be in such an environment.
    Last edited by Bredincaptivity; 07-08-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Quote Originally Posted by Bredincaptivity;3970043;

3. None of the kids portrayed in any of the RHs are better for the exposure. The ones who come off the best -- Jena's daughter who goes to UCLA and her minor-league son --
    I agree that Kara(?) was one of the better OC kids but Shane (was the oldest?) was a huge a*hole. I think Vicki's daughter, Brianna, came off way better than Shane.

4. Dina and Ex would have known about this at the very least.
    I still don't think it's impossible for a MAN to not know anything about the RHW franchise. I'm not even touching the abuse idea.

FORT Fogey

He was in cahoots enough that Danielle was feeding him names and numbers. And, why would NJ be any different than any other Housewife or reality show in general for that matter. Would you put your child on any Housewife franchise? On a reality show? I don't need to see a screening to know I don't want my kids in a position where they are going to get torn apart by bloggers or any way associated with the sleazy reality medium.
    Well okay wait a minute. I think we're jumping to a lot of conclusions. The article said that Danielle provided him with all the ammunition he'd need, not that he asked for it. It also said that she was contacting his relatives. We simply can't know what his reaction to Danielle was.

And it is a fact that never, in any other Real Housewives franchise has a grown woman gone after children the way Danielle has. No one has ever attacked anyone else the way Danielle has, and no one has ever gotten as physical as Teresa did. Previously, rivalries and disagreements were settled in tennis matches and children were accessories, not focal points. I think it was pretty safe to assume that Lexi wouldn't be exposed to any danger, considering the filming was with two aunts and a close family friend. And, truthfully she wasn't until Danielle got involved, but the women when the kids weren't around and in confessionals were not "kid appropriate" since it's a show for adults. It makes perfect sense he would have been surprised.

FORT Fogey

There is no excuse insofar as they didn't know the content. You would check out schools your kids went to, friends they hung with, sites they visit on the internet and not check out the content of a show your child will be appearing on? I don't agree that NJ is worse than the others. They are all bad as far as adult content goes, and always have been. The shows showcase pathological behaviors and dysfunctions of all kinds and always have. I think they loved the idea of being on TV and the consequences be damned. I don't know why Lexi's dad pulled her from the show, but the bottom line is she never should have been on in the first place, and that's on both of them. The fact that she was on the show at all has nothing to do with Danielle.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3970053;
    I agree that Kara(?) was one of the better OC kids but Shane (was the oldest?) was a huge a*hole. I think Vicki's daughter, Brianna, came off way better than Shane.

I still don't think it's impossible for a MAN to not know anything about the RHW franchise. I'm not even touching the abuse idea.
    I'm with you about Shane , but lots of folks seemed to like him for his a-holiness. And I agree about Brianna, who I had completely forgotten about. Goodness doesn't bring in ratings! That blind date her mother set her up on was mortifying. The guy looked like Danielle's ex-beau from last year.

As to the man-issue. It's not about a man knowing or not knowing about a particular type of reality-tv show, it's that if my kids were being asked to go on any show -- or go anywhere, for that matter, I'd sure as hell find out what's involved, who's going to be there, what it's for, etc. As the father of five teenagers, I spend half my life ferreting out such information. It may be different when you're divorced, I wouldn't know, but Dina's been playing reality-tv roulette for a while. Maybe the father finally just said, enough. Either way neither of them come off as parents of the year.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

FORT Fogey

I think Dina thought it was going to be all about how fabulous and clever and don't-you-wish-you-were-them they are. You are right, Bred, about Dina being in the reality game before. She at least had experience which should have taught her a thing or two.

Shane Keough (sp?) looks like a wife-beater.

Saying that Dina's ex should have known about this show / watched it before Lexie appeared doesn't seem too valid, IMO.
    With that kind of argument / logic, one could also say that nobody in this world should be obese because they've been educated about food content. Nobody should drink / smoke or do drugs because they've been educated about what they do to you. Etc, etc, etc......

We all know that the majority of us do not heed these things, so it's kind of moot to say that people who go on these reality shows should hold themselves to a higher standard. And, besides, if they did, who the heck would we be able to poke fun at?!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Of course he should have watched the show before giving permission for his minor daughter to appear on it. Would he send her to a school without knowing anything about it?

+ Reply to Thread