+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2851Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

How are they still living in that house? Is Bravo paying their mortgage?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3968090;

Maybe Joe's new pizzaria is paying the mortgage? He opened one recently.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3967850;
    In today's economy the country is littered with people living above their means. The amount of people filing bankruptcy is staggering. Joe and Teresa are no different than anyone else.
    While it may be a difference only of degree, in this case the degree is significant (sorry, Herr Kant). Vast amounts of their debt was consumer debt, things they bought and shouldn't have. And bad behaviour isn't excused by being common. But I also suspect, without much to back it up, that this was deliberate, that once the Giant Alitalia Hangar was built it was always in the plan to walk away from the debt and keep the mausoleum. Hence the large purchases in cash (which had to be quickly explained away and minimized), hence the lavish birthday party for Gia.

I am in Cali and live in a neighborhood of large homes and alot of them are up for foreclosure. One neighbors house has a bank owned sign on it and they are currently abroad on vacation. Teresa is not the first person to be broke and throw a party and she won't be last. You just will not hear about the others because they are not on tv.

I would be more appalled to learn that someone of Danielle's ilk is residing in my neighborhood. Danielle who travels with low budget thugs and low rent cougars.
    I mean no disrespect but I find both Danielle and Tess reprehensible. Was Danielle somewhat redeemed in your eyes by dropping Danny the TV Thug and picking up Ole Swivel Head the bodyguard? Is Kimmy G. any more of a cougar than Sonya T.? The Manzos (and Tess) hang around with that appalling two-faced horror Kim D., and delight in her treachery.

Yes, I'd find it annoying to live near Danielle, but frankly Tess's behaviour would be worse in that her unconscionable irresponsibility would bring down my property values, and I'd be paying for it with every purchase from the merchants she and Juicy Joe patronized...er...ripped off.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3967172;
    Yes, indeed. I'd be really interested in hearing what Caroline's reaction would be if Lauren decided to strip and give lap dances for a living.
    For me, I don't think strip clubs, lap dances, or even prostitution should be illegal for adults.

However, I wouldn't want anyone I cared about to be a stripper, lap dancer, or hooker.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3968090;
    I think you get to keep one residence even if you repudiate the mortgage but I'm not sure. I would hope there was a way to force them out of it (but who'd buy that hideous monument to poor taste and excess?) and to live in a 'used' (skeevy) and much smaller property.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3968093;
    Maybe Joe's new pizzaria is paying the mortgage? He opened one recently.
    He could open (as Dina pointed out) a banquet facility in that rock palace. Or rent it out to BOEING to fix aircraft in.

The vulgarity and senselessness of their "housewarming party" (remember the pathetic 'great room' - frosty-white marble silent with two enormous (yet dwarfed) sofas and a coffee table huddling for warmth in the middle of the empty echoing ice cavern and not another stick of furniture?) celebrating that pile of stone is quite amazing.

Random thoughts:

The OC and Atlanta homes are decorated mostly very very safely in beiges and chenille and chocolatey leathers, but with all new furniture, except for Lynne's rented minimalist digs.

The NY interiors range from odd (Simon/Alex and Jill) through plan (Bethenny) to sumptious and very possibly inherited (Sonja, LuAnn and Ramona). The main thing in common is that they are extensions of their owners' personalities (Thank God or God Help Us!).

The NJ interiors (with the exception of Danielle's which is stuck in an oak timewarp) are mostly just large oversized and overstuffed versions of that same sort of bourgeois conventionality that one sees in the OC and Atlanta. Some (Dina) cram more stuff in than others (Teresa), but it's all like JC Penney done more opulent. They all look oddly soulless, unowned, they resemble hotel rooms or magazine spreads, put together by a decorator with a checklist of elements that will please the every-day tastes of the suddenly flush.

When they walk in to their own homes I half expect Caroline or Vickie, Jeana or Sheree, to look around them and say "Oh, this is a nice lobby. Oh, isn't this just like in Better Homes and Gardens? Or the Four Seasons or the Saint Regis. But...is this the right house? Who can tell?"

McDecor in the McMansions in the McSuburbs delighting the McPeople. All very safe, all very familiar, all very suited to a house just bought that might need to be sold again. Do their decorators watch "Designed to Sell" or "Get it Sold" for all their tips? The beige walls, the earth toned soft couches, the touches of red, the 'welcoming' flower arrangements, the gigantic candlesticks, the art depicting scenes of identifiable prosperity (boats, dogs, hunts) - highbrow versions of velvet Elvises and poker-playing dogs, the granite surfaces and the stainless steel covered appliances in the gigantic kitchens, they've all been seen, aspired to, manufactured and bought off the shelf at Interiors-R-Us.

FORT Fogey

The homes do look as though they've been staged by a real estate company. Maybe Bravo rents them all.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;3968124;
    For me, I don't think strip clubs, lap dances, or even prostitution should be illegal for adults.

However, I wouldn't want anyone I cared about to be a stripper, lap dancer, or hooker.
    That is a principled position, and one I support. My (latest) problem with Caroline Manzo is that her ethics are situational. I would guess that if Lauren decided to strip for a living, Caroline would come back in one of her cameos and say, "Well, she's really good at it, and she's happy, so we're happy. It's really good exercise, and she's at the classiest Gentleman's Club in all of New Jersey. We're really proud of her. It's not at all like that skank palace Danielle goes to."

And we'd be treated to a visit to the club, with Mamma Manzo playing hostess with the mostest (and the club picking up the tab for promotional consideration).
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3968254;
    The homes do look as though they've been staged by a real estate company. Maybe Bravo rents them all.
    Well we know NoNo's houses were rentals, as they got put out more than Lynne.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;3968147;
    I think you get to keep one residence even if you repudiate the mortgage but I'm not sure. I would hope there was a way to force them out of it (but who'd buy that hideous monument to poor taste and excess?) and to live in a 'used' (skeevy) and much smaller property.

I think you get to keep your residence if you keep paying the mortgage on that residence.

+ Reply to Thread