+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2857Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3966300;
    It's seedy and exploitative.
    Yes, indeed. I'd be really interested in hearing what Caroline's reaction would be if Lauren decided to strip and give lap dances for a living.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Exactly.

FORT Regular

IMHO all of the cast members are egotistical, delusional, & playing a role - each to different degrees:

Caroline is a bully & hypocrite (criticizing Danielle for her the people with whom she associates without acknowledging the flaws in her own social circle), but seems the most comfortable in her own skin (well, except in her segment introduction). Although her children are personable & likeable on the show, I wonder where they would be without the family business.

Jacqueline appears the most humble, tolerant, realistic, & confrontation-adverse; plus, she & her dh seem well-paired. She recognizes & accepts her parenting flaws with her oldest & vows to learn from those mistakes when raising her boys.

Teresa strikes me as a person who's always inflated/overexaggerated her place in life; she's always seen & described herself as more "fabulous" than she/her accomplishments actually are. She feels entitled to things without ever earning them & seems to be passing this approach onto her daughters. IMHO people in her & her dh's situation shouldn't be eligible for filing any type of bankruptcy that allows repayment of only a fraction of the amount owed; rather, it should require repaying the amount owed PLUS high interest, even if it takes a lifetime.

Danielle is a natural villian on the show. Unlike other members of "upper society" (whether actual or wannabe, such as her cast members), she's not discrete about her past. What appeared to be an attempt to highlight her uncanny ability to rise from a violent sordid past to the uppercrust of society & inspire others failed. Her current endeavors into homemade videos & evoking mobster stereotypes (despite using paid actors as wiseguys) smack of desperation. Whether attributable to her &/or her ex-dh, their daughters appear the most grounded of all the children.

Dina is probably the most artificial. Rumors of her arranged/sham/failed marriage (as documented on the wedding reality show, she overlooked multiple known instances of infidelity to wed her sister's BIL), troubles with her ex-dh regarding their daughter's appearance on the show (where hints of mob ties, threats, & physical altercations were depicted on national tv as her actual family life), & her Ladybug charity's lack of or only recently-acquired tax-exempt/non-profit status (meaning the organization wasn't accountable to anyone regarding salaries paid, whether donations were actually given to the stated causes, etc.) reveal she's likely not as innocent as she portrayed herself on the show. Also, this season was a parade of guest appearances, cat profiles, & a forced confrontation just to provide a forum to promote her "charity" & jewelry collections. I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't actually dismissed from the show, but was allowed a graceful exit via the storyline - walking away due to the evil villian.

After all, the family plus Teresa acknowledged that Danielle's reputation in the area preceded her, yet they all still agreed to join the cast in hopes of fame/fortune. Now they claim their lives are endangered by her presence (which, ironically, is with camera crews in tow). The most ludicrous dialogue is the family plus Teresa feigning outrage about Danielle/crew's appearance at the child's fundraiser. If the child/event meant so much to them (& it allegedly was the proverbial last straw for Dina), why weren't any of them in attendance to support the little girl/her cause?

Personally, I think there's a big difference between drugs, prostitution, and kidnapping and going bankrupt.
    Agreed (although acknowledging that filing bankruptcy negatively impacts creditors' livlihoods/families). Likewise, I also recognize the difference between 25 years ago vs now OR decisions made as an obviously misguided/troubled, single, 22 y.o. woman vs as a married couple in their late 30s responsible for four children striving to "keep up with the Joneses."

In today's economy the country is littered with people living above their means. The amount of people filing bankruptcy is staggering. Joe and Teresa are no different than anyone else.

I am in Cali and live in a neighborhood of large homes and alot of them are up for foreclosure. One neighbors house has a bank owned sign on it and they are currently abroad on vacation. Teresa is not the first person to be broke and throw a party and she won't be last. You just will not hear about the others because they are not on tv.

I would be more appalled to learn that someone of Danielle's ilk is residing in my neighborhood. Danielle who travels with low budget thugs and low rent cougars.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

If what they're saying is true, Joe stole a million dollars from a friend. That is pretty low. Lower than prostitution whoring. And, 11 million dollars in debt is not exactly what the rest of America did when it filed bankrutpcy. They didn't just live beyond their means, the lived beyond even the means of rich people. They stole money and the whole time Teresa couldn't imagine living in a house that someone else has lived in. That's gross, she said. Even though it's good enough for the rest of us. I don't give them one ounce of pity or excuse. They are bad people.
    Last edited by ubidiah; 07-07-2010 at 09:31 AM.

I am not excusing them I am just not treating them any worse than Joe down the street who is in the same situation. Frankly I could care less. I just am not that into how joe makes his money and why Teresa throws parties she can't afford, It not my business and I don't care. I just watch for the entertainment it affords me. I am entertained by everyone but Danielle and I don't care much about except not seeing her cougar enhanced face in HD.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

We should not assume that Foreclosure statistics are related in a direct way to bankruptcy statistics. And while hile it's true that bankuptcy filings have risen sharply, it is not true that the Giudices' amount of unsecured (dischargeable) debt is common.

News: Bankruptcy Statistics Bankruptcy Data Charts Filings Graphs Trends by NBKRC "

"Nationwide, 2009 [bankruptcy] filings amounted to more than 12,000 filings per million households – about 1 in every 80 households. As Map 1 shows, the high filing rates are concentrated in two clusters: the Southwest and the Southeast. Interestingly... the concentration of foreclosure proceedings is much different, with the highest concentrations clustered in the northern Midwest. "

Of note is that only 28% of the 2009 filings were for Chapter 13 relief. The rest were for Chapter 7 relief, which would not necessarily result in a lot of houses in foreclosure.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

I would be a little more willing to say they got in over their heads if he hadn't forged documents and she hadn't visited the fertility clinic and gotten a boob job while they had to know a sh*t storm was coming their way. If Teresa didn't know, that makes her more stupid, not less.

Kiz

Joe Giudice's business partner, Joseph Mastropole, who is suing him, isn't a novice when it comes to shady deals. Granted, maybe he learned his lesson from this and reformed. If you google him you'll find:

(Joseph Mastropole and Best Choice Realty Associates, Inc., real estate brokers, formerly of Clifton, N.J.
    On July 30, 1996, Joseph Mastropole was found guilty of violations of N.J.S.A. 45:15-17(o) (commingling) and N.J.A.C. 11:5-1.12 (failing to maintain trust account records and ledgers and failing to make quarterly reconciliations of his trust accounts.) The Commission's audit of Best Choice Realty uncovered extensive and continuous churning of escrowed funds, i.e. disbursing funds which were to have been held in trust on transaction C to a party to transaction B, whose funds were previously disbursed to a party to transaction A, etc. In addition, the audit disclosed over $14,000 in shortages in the escrow accounts. Mastropole's broker's license was revoked for ten years. After July 1, 1997, he will be eligible to hold a salesperson's license. However, he must first requalify for same by completing the salesperson pre-licensure education requirement and passing the state license examination. Mr. Mastropole was also fined
    $20,000, which must be paid before any license is issued. > NJ Real Estate Commission - Fall, 1996 Newsletter <)

Playing detective, I *think* Mastropole might have been aware that Joe forged his signature to get the $1 million dollar loan on his properties with the expectation that Giudice would use part of those funds to pay him the remainder of the money he was owed. Joe either didn't pay him or was stupid enough to pay him back in such a way that didn't leave a paper trail. Mastopole played it smart, and didn't sign the document himself since it was a lie, letting Giudice take the fall if the crap hit the fan.

However, I think allowing grifters like the Giudices to use bankruptcy protection is a corrupt use of the system. These were not folks who over extended themselves to move to a safer neighborhood in a nicer school district with the expectation that their jobs were secure. They didn't have an unexpected illness. The major bread winner didn't die leaving behind no life insurance. The Giudices were making enough money in the past that they could have lived a very comfortable lifestyle, put money aside for their future, saved for their children's educations, made sound investments without the gamble of a huge windfall or big meltdown, etc. They ended up gambling using our money, at least that seems to be their hope. They played fast and loose, and if they lost big, what the heck, they would throw in the towel and let the chumps pick up their pieces.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I consider them to be thieves. Most people who file for bankruptcy are not "living beyond their means." They have lost their jobs, or become ill, or had some catastropic misfortunes (sh*tstorms) that have made it impossible to make mortgage payments. Sadly, a lot of these people had to pay their MEDICAL bills with credit cards, and purchased their groceries and gas with them. Some even paid their kids' tuition with them - just trying to stay afloat until they could get back on their feet. I don't consider this living beyond one's means. I think it's more like survival. For them, Chapter 7 bankruptcy does give them a fresh start.

The Giudices are not like "Joe down the street." They are people who treated various properties they owned like ATM machines, lied to banks to get the those 3rd and 4th mortgages, and CHEATED all the people who provided them with goods and services.

I would not want these people for neighbors. And I would certainly never LEND them anything if they were.

+ Reply to Thread