+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2728Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3957538;
    Here's a revelation? Your kids NEVER stop needing you. You are, literally, never off that particular hook. My kids are gown and I can honestly say that, although their needs are quite different than when they were younger, they still express them to us. And my DH and I still give their needs supremacy in our lives. You never stop parenting, in other words.

Caroline's current issues not only seem sudden to me, they seem contrived. Those sidelong looks at the camera: are you catching these tears? Are you getting the puppy eyes at Albert? I'm sorry, but they do not evoke any sympathy in me, whatsoever. It just seems like more Bravo bulls**t.
    YES!!!! I have always stated that you are a parent from the second they take their first breath until you take your last; your kids, no matter how old, come first.
    My siblings & I never had that with our parents. While we knew we were loved & we were provided for we always knew we would never be our parents #1 priority. The 4 of us are now totally different from our parents. None of us can imagine a day without telling our children that we love them. We all have pets.
    This past winter I had a mastectomy & BEGGED my Mom to come & stay with me & take care of me. She straight-out refused because church came first. Me, I would have slept on the floor next to my child.
    I get the whole empty-nest thing wth Caroline but her nest isn't empty. Mine was but one of my baby birds flew home & will be here until he finds a job & gets his student loans paid off. She really needs to get a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3957466;
    Except that even though her kids have been adults for some time, they haven't just stopped needing her. They've been in college, or living at home. Lauren and Christopher weren't showing ANY signs of moving on last season, and now they are. I think part of the problem is that they've lived with her all along. If each one graduated, went to college, and moved out, it would have been much more gradual, rather than it all hitting her at the same time now.

Besides, we don't know how long she's been feeling like this. Maybe it's been building up, a niggling thought to a full-blown issue. I think this is most likely, considering that's how it's been for my mom and all my friends' moms.

I just think it's bizarre that so few people have any sympathy for her. After all, this is one of the most real things we've been shown yet, and a nice respite from the likes of Lynne, who is so uninvolved and such a lazy parent that her children are basically allowed to drink while underage and behave atrociously.

Thanks for posting this.
    I'm still surprised that people cannot offer empathy for Caroline in this situation.
    Caroline has never portrayed herself the "victim" as so many of the Housewives on these shows do.
    To me, she seemed to be waxing nostalgic over the kids and her hubby. That the heck is wrong with that?
    Last edited by norealityhere; 07-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fan

Caroline's current issues not only seem sudden to me, they seem contrived. Those sidelong looks at the camera: are you catching these tears? Are you getting the puppy eyes at Albert? I'm sorry, but they do not evoke any sympathy in me, whatsoever. It just seems like more Bravo bulls**t. -- Poppyfields

Completely correct, Poppy. The reason some of us have no sympathy or empathy for Caroline is that she is playing a completely contrived part for the cameras. Anyone who wants to have a heart-to-heart with their spouse about their midlife existential crisis doesn't call Bravo to bring three or four crew members and cameras into their homes, make sure their spouse is in his best Men's Wearhouse suit (we LOVE it! I GAAARANTEE it!) and then let the waterworks start, especially with the broadside "You need to retire." She's fulfilling her story lines, and doing what Bravo wants her to do. For money.
    Last edited by Bredincaptivity; 07-01-2010 at 03:07 PM.

FORT Fogey

Love or hate Kate Gosselin, her life has been a nightmare since the cameras came into their lives. Anyone considering for a second putting their family on TV should take a long, hard look at that sad disaster.

FORT Fan

From Imperfect:
    "Albert Manzo seems to be extremely 'professional' in the running of the Brownstone. Albie, who was pursuing a career in law certainly doesn't fit your model, and Caroline Manzo doesn't buy or sell things, nor is she a servant. For that matter, neither is Christopher or Lauren."

From Caroline's Bravo biography:

"Although Caroline spends the majority of her time running the household, she is also the owner of two successful businesses, Opus Properties, a real estate firm and 4 My Mom, a children’s accessories line. In addition, Caroline has just launched a new concept, Caroline's Kitchen, a collection of licensed products that will focus on several of her great loves: cooking, creating a warm, wonderful home and taking care of her beloved family – including her precious puppies."

Opus properties is a real estate sales firm; 4 My Mom is an accessories business owned with Bernie Kerik's wife Hala (I wonder if the accessories include file-filled cakes), and her newest venture focuses on selling her name onto licensed products. As for Albie, the operative term is "was" pursuing a law degree; he's now on his way to reality-tv seminotoriety on Millionaire Matchmaker; Lauren wants to do make-up on other people, and Chris wants to run a strip club car wash.

Albert runs a catering hall, with his brother, Dina's husband Tommy (nice crossover promotional tie-in with My Big Fat Wedding, Dina and Tommy's first foray into reality tv). Albert's apparently good at the catering business, although it takes all his time.

It was Bernie Kerik who got her the precious puppy in the first season -- he's featured in an episode -- before he went to prison.

From the NY Daily News:

Prison-bound former police commissioner Bernie Kerik had a going-away party last Thursday. Among those who gathered at Kerik's Franklin Lakes, N.J., mansion were Geraldo Rivera, "Real Housewives of New Jersey" star Caroline Manzo, Kerik's current legal team and some Israeli moneymen who bankrolled his defense fund. Not believed to have been there: Kerik's estranged lawyer Joe Tacopina, who we hear is not looking forward to a forthcoming profile by Vanity Fair investigative reporter John Connolly.
    Last edited by Bredincaptivity; 07-01-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Adding Link to NYDN article

Midlife existential crisis? Sounds so dramatic.
    Last edited by Hobbes07; 07-01-2010 at 04:58 PM.

me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3957971;
    Funny how people see things differently. To me, they seem the most real and natural of the whole bunch on that show.

I have sympathy for Caroline. She must be miserable, and now Bravo probably pushes her to play it to the hilt. But... it's just plain boring; I wish they'd have her stop. Gawd sakes, according to Imperfect she's working dawn to dark, family in the house or not. Shut up.

These Manzo people seem industrious and hard-driven, but there's a low ceiling to their aspirations. Money. Notoriety. Affected glamour. And to top if off, they apparently don't mind having Bravo make them look like dunces several times a week. No intellectual pursuit or fine living in sight with this bunch. Love those reruns, good laughs!
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fanatic

I for one have lived through empty nest syndrome, when my last went off to college, and I retired from teaching, so I have empathy for her, as well as going through menopause. Also, I only had an ex, and I didn't do it on television, though it felt like it. To be alone in the house after 18 years is an unusual, eerie, feeling. It's the day you wait for....and then it comes.

But...I'm over it now!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3958800;
    YES!!!! I have always stated that you are a parent from the second they take their first breath until you take your last; your kids, no matter how old, come first.
    My siblings & I never had that with our parents. While we knew we were loved & we were provided for we always knew we would never be our parents #1 priority. The 4 of us are now totally different from our parents. None of us can imagine a day without telling our children that we love them. We all have pets.
    This past winter I had a mastectomy & BEGGED my Mom to come & stay with me & take care of me. She straight-out refused because church came first. Me, I would have slept on the floor next to my child.
    I get the whole empty-nest thing wth Caroline but her nest isn't empty. Mine was but one of my baby birds flew home & will be here until he finds a job & gets his student loans paid off. She really needs to get a hobby.
    I'm sorry that you don't have that kind of relationship with your parents, but good for you for changing that for your children! They're very lucky to have you.

I don't know why everyone thinks that Caroline's feeling of loneliness and sadness is because she doesn't have enough to do. She has LOTS to do. But that doesn't change the fact that when she comes home, her husband isn't home, and her kids aren't home. I think it's completely reasonable for her to want her husband to spend more time with her. No hobby will replace that.

+ Reply to Thread