+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2705Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Christine does look angry a bit but then that is common (more among male models who seem to be trained to hostility and constant frowns).
    I think female high fashion models all look bored and contemptuous Like they'd rather be anywhere else but on that runway.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Bredincaptivity;3958167;
    The Manzos are showmen -- all of them. They have an arriviste/servant mentality and are calculating in the way others perceive them. In other words, they are perfect fodder for reality TV. They represent a certain element of New Jersey class, or 'class' anywhere there's a lot of money being made by people who do nothing but buy and sell things. They are first and foremost salespeople or servants (i.e. valets and caterers). Just like the rest of this franchise.
    I respectfully disagree, bredincaptivity. An arriviste/servant mentality? Not at all, in fact, just the opposite. Running a (large, very successful upscale business) is neither being in sales nor being a servant. Albert Manzo seems to be extremely 'professional' in the running of the Brownstone. Albie, who was pursuing a career in law certainly doesn't fit your model, and Caroline Manzo doesn't buy or sell things, nor is she a servant. For that matter, neither is Christopher or Lauren.

And "showmen"? Of course they're showmen. EVERYONE who is intentionally in front of the camera in the entertainment business is, to some extent, a showman, otherwise they WOULDN'T BE THERE!

Check out the preview for the next episode where Chris Laurita lays down the law to Ashley. Love it. He basically tells her she's poking a mentally unbalanced person and putting the rest of them at risk for retribution. If she does not cease and desist, she's out.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Running a (large, very successful upscale business) is neither being in sales nor being a servant
    "Servant mentality" is actually a business term of art. It means that you and everyone in your company is absolutely passionate about providing the kind of service that makes your customers feel like royalty. That kind of passion ensures that you will leave your competition in the dust. Here's a link to an article that defines it clearly, if you are interested in this:

Nightingale-Conant presents Deremiah
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 07-01-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3958560;
    "Servant mentality" is actually a business term of art. It means that you and everyone in your company is absolutely passionate about providing the kind of service that makes your customers feel like royalty.
    Thanks, Poppy. I think the article speaks better than I did about my point. Perhaps I was overstating the obvious about their showmanship. Some wear their self-promoting capabilities better than others. Dina was great at pretending to be modest even after sacrificing whatever principles she had to marry a man of questionable commitment to her just to get on a reality show. Bethenny Frankel is a good example, to me, of someone who is unabashed in her salesmanship role, and uses is for better things, like creating books and products and posing for PETA.

I just don't get where there is anything admirable about the Manzos. Is it that their catering business is "upscale?" Ugh. Is it Chris's desire, promoted by Caroline, to open a strip-club car wash? Her statement on WWHL that she sees nothing wrong with stripping for a living? Her primp-strut that introduces every one of her cameos on the show? Her fawning over Gia while Gia's being a brat, saying she's the cutest kid ever born? Or maybe her thuggish quasi-threat about Albie's law school caring that he's Caroline Manzo's son? It's all very Jersey mob-undertoned.

Albert's suits are off the rack and ill-fitting, their daughter wants to do other people's make-up for the rest of her life, and Albie's off to Millionaire Matchmaker to cash in on his two seconds of fame after his flameout in law school. And this from a family with the means to see all their kids educated and doing something productive in society. Not a doctor, lawyer, nurse, policeman, fireman or teacher among them. Just people doing other people's dishes, nails, and hair and parking their cars, an up-market version of "you want fries with that?"

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3958556;
    Check out the preview for the next episode where Chris Laurita lays down the law to Ashley. Love it. He basically tells her she's poking a mentally unbalanced person and putting the rest of them at risk for retribution. If she does not cease and desist, she's out.
    I watched the video. It was a great speach, and it's too bad he hasn't followed up on it.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I finally had the chance to watch this week's epi & wished I didn't. Sigh....as a daughter, mother & woman I strive to comport myself in a style that is dignified & respectful. I would be horrified to ever have my actions bring embarassment upon those who love me.
    Kim G & I must be in the same age range however I could never imagine me wearing a pair of shorts so tiny that your thong is visable while YOU ARE BEING FILMED FOR NATIONAL TV SLIDING ON A STRIPPER POLE! Then you wear a skirt so short that if it you weren't wearing black pantyhose, your chuckie would be visable. Before you think I wouldn't be able to fit in those clothes, think again. I wear a size 2. Are you that desparate to be known by people other than your friends & family? Show some class already.
    Danielle is as crazy as a loon so tell me Jacquilne & Tresea, WHY on EARTH would you go to this function knowing full well that Danielle was going to be there & then you wait for her to just say "HI"???
    If I acted 1/2 as badly as these women do, my 86 year old mother & my 2 sons would ne mortified.

FORT Fogey

Anyone who puts their children first would simply not participate. People rarely come out of reality TV with their dignity intact. And, truthfully, few come out of it with their marriages intact. I would not take that risk on behalf of myself, my marriage, and my children. I'm not sure what Dina Manzo thought she was signing up for, but at least she had the sense to get out and get her kid out.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3957608;
    Okay, thanks for the revelation (and the snippiness? what's with the question?) but I know that. I mean needing her in the physical sense, as in, they don't live in her house, their needs aren't as immediate or often-expressed. It's quite common to feel a sense of your kids needing you less when they leave and grow up, whether it's reality or not, because the fact of the matter is that their needs change.
    I know, right? Sheesh!

I agree with everything else you said. And what's up with 'well this is how I was when my kids/family went through the same thing they are and I didn't act that way so neither should they!' mentality.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3958745;
    Anyone who puts their children first would simply not participate. People rarely come out of reality TV with their dignity intact. And, truthfully, few come out of it with their marriages intact. I would not take that risk on behalf of myself, my marriage, and my children. I'm not sure what Dina Manzo thought she was signing up for, but at least she had the sense to get out and get her kid out.
    Agreed. I think that this franchise, when it started, looked like an easy way to promote the Manzo family business of catering and weddings. I'm guessing this is why Dina and Tommy prostrated themselves to the gods of reality tv and "spent" $1.1 mil on their wedding (naturally they didn't pay retail). As RH evolved, or maybe we should say metastasized, first Tommy realized his agenda was not well-served by Bravo's producers, and then Dina smartly removed her daughter and finally bowed out herself. I personally applaud her decision and wish her and Tommy well, whatever path they're headed down. Funny that my heroes of these shows (like OC Jena) are the ones who get out. The rest of them stick around and hype the drama, act out in fits of violence, and pimp for camera time, like a domestic version of professional wrestling.

+ Reply to Thread