+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2728Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3957466;
    Except that even though her kids have been adults for some time, they haven't just stopped needing her
    Here's a revelation? Your kids NEVER stop needing you. You are, literally, never off that particular hook. My kids are gown and I can honestly say that, although their needs are quite different than when they were younger, they still express them to us. And my DH and I still give their needs supremacy in our lives. You never stop parenting, in other words.

Caroline's current issues not only seem sudden to me, they seem contrived. Those sidelong looks at the camera: are you catching these tears? Are you getting the puppy eyes at Albert? I'm sorry, but they do not evoke any sympathy in me, whatsoever. It just seems like more Bravo bulls**t.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;3956437;
    couldn't help noticing at that fashion show that all the women present, no matter how much money they have, how many diamonds or fur coats they have still come off somewhat trashy, low class and as soon as they speak, they confirm it. Funny but they haven't a clue as to how they portray themselves. As the Countess says, "Money can't buy you class."
    Not unlike the Orange County bunch. They all dress horribly -- flashy and trashy -- exactly like the clothes sold in those shops in the Vegas hotels. The rest of Southern California doesn't even relate to it.

FORT Fogey

Okay, thanks for the revelation (and the snippiness? what's with the question?) but I know that. I mean needing her in the physical sense, as in, they don't live in her house, their needs aren't as immediate or often-expressed. It's quite common to feel a sense of your kids needing you less when they leave and grow up, whether it's reality or not, because the fact of the matter is that their needs change.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3957538;
    Here's a revelation? Your kids NEVER stop needing you. You are, literally, never off that particular hook. My kids are gown and I can honestly say that, although their needs are quite different than when they were younger, they still express them to us. And my DH and I still give their needs supremacy in our lives. You never stop parenting, in other words.

Caroline's current issues not only seem sudden to me, they seem contrived. Those sidelong looks at the camera: are you catching these tears? Are you getting the puppy eyes at Albert? I'm sorry, but they do not evoke any sympathy in me, whatsoever. It just seems like more Bravo bulls**t.
    Everything about that particular set of Manzo's seems contrived.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3957643;
    Everything about that particular set of Manzo's seems contrived.
    Funny how people see things differently. To me, they seem the most real and natural of the whole bunch on that show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3957002;
    I also suspect she's quite jealous of Christine Staub - there's the fact that Christine is having a shot at something Ashley's always wanted to pursue, and there's Christine's academic success as opposed to Ashley's failures (at the same high school).
    Just to be terribly accurate, Ashley said she wanted to be a model, not to pursue (work hard for, train for, pay ones dues for) being a model. Apparently because she's tall and can get from a to b on two legs, she's qualified. Or maybe her desiring it makes her deserving of it. Who knows?

FORT Fogey

In her blog, she said she didn't want to be a model - she was just doing it to have fun. She did say that if she had some training, she thinks she'd be a decent model, and maybe she could be a decent model for catalogs. She seemed to have a pretty realistic view of her "modeling" job there.

Christine looks beautiful in her lookbook, but her expressions were mostly pretty similar. Of course, that will come with experience, but I find it notable because she looks (to me) to be angry, in her eyes. But at least she's connecting with the camera - according to Tyra, that's important!

FORT Fan

The Manzos are showmen -- all of them. They have an arriviste/servant mentality and are calculating in the way others perceive them. In other words, they are perfect fodder for reality TV. They represent a certain element of New Jersey class, or 'class' anywhere there's a lot of money being made by people who do nothing but buy and sell things. They are first and foremost salespeople or servants (i.e. valets and caterers). Just like the rest of this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3957538;
    I don't think that we don't have sympathy for Caroline & possible menopause. Lord knows, anyone, including myself, knows it is a difficult and trying time and sympathy is well earned. I can only base my thoughts on what I ( & my friends) experienced. The sad part is that you can act/behave very differently from your normal personna and NOT know you are acting differently. And it isn't until you've come thru it that you can then look back and see how you acted. Everyone told me I was different but I felt I was just myself. I can now see they were right.

So it's possible that this "needy, whiny" Caroline is just a product of messed up hormones, contributing to her acting differently than the very strong, very confident, in control Caroline that we have seen before and what seems to be her real self. She's not my favorite person but I admire a lot about her.

I said earlier that you need to plan for the empty nest years and I should have added that I'm saying that now in retrospect. When I think about my past, it took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do. It feels so foreign to finally be able to put yourself first, rather than the kids.

It may very well be Bravo BS, looking for another storyline, to portray her as needy all of a sudden or it could be that we are just seeing the effect of the hormonal imbalance. Some women do fine, others have a really difficult time with it. I didn't mean to judge her so negatively but should have said that we need to watch where this leads. From what I've seen of Caroline, she's anything but needy and will find her own way thru this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3958144;
    In her blog, she said she didn't want to be a model - she was just doing it to have fun. She did say that if she had some training, she thinks she'd be a decent model, and maybe she could be a decent model for catalogs. She seemed to have a pretty realistic view of her "modeling" job there.

Christine looks beautiful in her lookbook, but her expressions were mostly pretty similar. Of course, that will come with experience, but I find it notable because she looks (to me) to be angry, in her eyes. But at least she's connecting with the camera - according to Tyra, that's important!
    Christine does look angry a bit but then that is common (more among male models who seem to be trained to hostility and constant frowns).

I didn't know that Ashley was more realistic in her blog. I think she is still not fully baked yet though, or wasn't at the time of filming. I was all like yay Ashley until her taunting at the 'fashion' show. Very Jr. High.

+ Reply to Thread