+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2848Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by tenchikiss;3946023;
    I am confused how the best boob surgeon in the country was located in a shop center style store...probably next to a dollar store and a Halmark.
    Not only that...but a lot of the lights in their name were dark. Didn't anyone at this big shot Doctors office know that a lighted sign should actually be lighted because Bravo would be filming?

I have a weird pet peeve about stuff like that. If you can't keep your building looking nice...why would I even go inside...mush less let you operate on me.
    Low class...but maybe he did it for free cause of the publicity.

Now if he could do a face transplant on her...I would be able to look at her directly again. Every time she is on camera..I really have a difficult time looking at her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3948131;
    ITA w/ dippity on this ... I googled around and Albie is at Seton Hall ... now just look at these numbers to get into SHU School of Law.

Seton Hall Law School

With strong academics and great career prospects, Seton Hall Law School is quite an attractive option—especially for those student who plan to build their careers in New Jersey.

Admissions & Tuition

Roughly 47% (1,542 of 3,272) of applicants were granted admission last year. Of full-time matriculating students, the 25th to 75th percentile GPA range was 3.29–3.73 and the range for the LSAT was 158-162—with medians of 3.53 and 160, respectively.

My DS took the LSAT's for law school and I remember he studied for roughly 6 months prior to taking them. It is an intense and grueling exam.

If Albie is indeed at SHU as the internet states, he had to have had some decent scores to get accepted.

I think IMHO that he might have slacked off a bit and it cost him in the end.
    It's a possibility - but why would he slack in only one class??

I agree with the above posters who think Danielle is over botoxed. One of the things that makes me actually feel alittle nauseated when I think about her is her self righteous expression. She's so full of herself, so proud of herself and the way she looks---- when she should be so ashamed of herself and she's VERY normal looking. She's ruined the show for me.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3948273;
    It's a possibility - but why would he slack in only one class??
    He didn't slack in just one class. He had to get C's and then one D+ to get to a 1.93 GPA. Others have noted he skipped class a lot. I saw a lot of these types when I was in law school. They want the title "lawyer" and even "law student" because it sounds glamorous (it's not, but it is a status title above "caterer" and "strip-car wash owner;" -- oops, I mean "small business owner"). But they're not willing to put in the time and the hours. Seton Hall's just not that competitive of a school, but they are respectable -- and would have offered any ( and I mean ANY) student a ton of help to keep them enrolled. ABA accreditation considers retention and completion rates in their quality rankings, and Seton would have the same kind of program at my law school to get students with bona fide disabilities through the system. AlDee doesn't strike me as a particularly serious student, and his and Caroline's explanations sound just like those of so many of my classmates who didn't cut it, but couldn't bring themselves to admit that they just didn't have what it took (beit brains or discipline) to be successful.

FORT Fogey

Who's noted that he cut lots of classes?? No one here....

Maybe you're right. Maybe they are all lying, he has no disability, he never showed up for school, and they manufactured that entire thing. In fact, I bet they only let him into law school in the first place because of the show!

I'm just saying. If he DOES have a legitimate learning disability - which we have no reason to doubt - then he should have been offered help. However, when discussing his situation with his mother, it did seem like they were both acknowledging he'd had a tough semester. I think that the most plausible explanation is that he DOES have a learning disability, but he was doing fine despite that (lots of kids don't bring up their LD once they get into college if they've been functioning fine) and then all of a sudden it was tripping him up more than he expected. Since the school should have been made aware of it from the start, if he was going to need assistance, they aren't willing to change for him now.

I'm truly interested to know more about this situation....

According to the attached article, Albie initially attended the school on a part-time basis. I wonder if that got him so far behind that he just couldn't keep up.

LawSchool.com, LawTV's site for law students, lawyers, future lawyers, law profs, college students studying for the LSAT, and law school graduates taking the bar exam.

At Seton Hall University, for example, Wyckoff, N.J., native Al Manzo is entering the part-time day program after graduating from college this past spring. He's taking one less class this semester than the full-timers, but will make it up next summer and join the full-time program. Seton Hall, ranked 66th, declined to say how many students were in its part-time day program. Loyola University Chicago and St. John's University, among others, include some similar students in their part-time day programs.

"If it wasn't for the part-time program, I wouldn't be going to the school," Mr. Manzo says. He adds, "The LSAT and GPA score isn't the most effective way to determine success in law school."
    CYA

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3948493;
    Who's noted that he cut lots of classes?? No one here....
    It was on another one of the boards -- from someone who goes to school with him at Seton Hall. I'm not sure I can mention which one. You can IM me for the cite. It struck me as true, that's all, because I went to law school with a bunch of people like him, (at a better law school while working full time and going to school at night). AlDie needs to go back to throwing ham and dancing with ho's, something that I didn't have time for when I was outlining contracts, property, civil and criminal procedure and torts. I had friends who were learning disabled and was their designated note-taker, and watched the kinds of accommodations given to someone with a true disability. Af for Al-Die, you reap what you sow.

And this from the earlier post:

The most widely watched ranking of U.S. law schools may move to stop an increasingly popular practice: schools gaming the system by channeling lower-scoring applicants into part-time programs that don't count in the rankings.

This is the entry to the program mentioned two posts above. Albie had been admitted in a special program because he wouldn't have been admitted under their traditional methodology. They were gaming the system, which is unfortunate because people like Al-dee don't belong in a serious law school.
    Last edited by Bredincaptivity; 06-24-2010 at 01:14 AM.

i think you're being very insensitive to ppl w learning disabilities. having problems w time constraints and having a learning disability are 2 completely different things.

and there are provisions made in the "real world" for all kinds of things . . . . handicap ramps for the handicap and time provisions for those w learning disabilities. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3947893;
    A majority of us have problems with time constraints esp. on tests.
    That's not a learning disability.

All I'm trying to say is that once we all get into the real world, we need to perform. You can't just tell everybody - I need more time because I have a learning disability.

Well if Albie was admitted to SHLaw as a part-time student the admissions req's are different than full-time ...

Admissions & Tuition @Seton Hall Law

Roughly 47% (1,542 of 3,272) of applicants were granted admission last year. Of full-time matriculating students, the 25th to 75th percentile GPA range was 3.29–3.73 and the range for the LSAT was 158-162—with medians of 3.53 and 160, respectively.

Seton Hall also accepts students on a part-time basis; and, as is the case at many schools, the admissions standards for part-time students are less demanding than those for full-timers. A whopping 86% of part-time applicants were accepted last year (518 out of 602). Those admitted had GPA’s ranging from 2.95 to 3.48 for the 25th to 75th percentiles, and LSAT scores which ranged from 152 to 156.

86% are accepted for the part-time program as vs 47% accepted for the full-time program. And I am guessing Albie had to make a certain gpa to then go onto the full-time program and that he failed to do.

Also, I am guessing that when Albie told Caroline about his plight on Monday night's show ... the family ALREADY knew. There is no way, I believe that Albie allowed the cameras to roll with news that he failed out of law school w/o first discussing it with Caroline and Sr. and then allowing the Bravo cameras to film it. JMHO.
    KAREN

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3948992;
    i think you're being very insensitive to ppl w learning disabilities. having problems w time constraints and having a learning disability are 2 completely different things.

and there are provisions made in the "real world" for all kinds of things . . . . handicap ramps for the handicap and time provisions for those w learning disabilities. . . . .
    Yes, but you know WAY before the end of the semester that you are headed for several Cs and one D+.

I have a lot of empathy for those with LDs and believe that they should receive accommodations. But I have little sympathy for students who know they aren't doing well and then wait until the 11th hour to seek help and then claim that the school teachers and administrators are insensitive or carrying a personal vendetta against the student, and that is what Albie and his mother seemed to suggest.

+ Reply to Thread