+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2805Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Here's my take on RHoNJ:

Two of them aren't really housewives: Dina and Danielle

Three of them are related. One is almost family. None of them has ever been (or ever will be) a friend of Danielle Staub's.

The related and nearly related ones do not provide enough conflict/drama to make any viewer tune in more than once. They live pretty boring, insular lives (at least the portion of their lives that they are willing to share with the public at large). They are "thick as thieves."

Enter Danielle Staub: The big bad wolverine who tries to jimmy all the locks, insinuating herself and her "needs" into the family circle. Her needs are ill-defined, but we get a sense that she just wants them all be her BFFs and never, ever judge her - and, should they hear any gossip about her they MUST report it to her, the Queen of Drama, immediately. And, if they won't be her BFFS, she'll ensnare Jax in a spider like maneuver, driving a wedge into this family and keeping Jax for her own, bwahaha! She'll huff and puff and blow the house down! She brings "The Book" to the last supper. Does anyone here really think that Teresa spontaneously invited her there? Or that she paid for that dinner? Or that it was even her idea to have it, in the first place? FINAL CURTAIN: SEASON ONE.

The related and near-related ones circle the wagons. God knows.. . maybe Danielle will try to sell their kids cocaine or something! She's sooo evil! Maybe she'll come over to their homes uninvited and not come alone! Batten down the hatches!!! Maybe she'll have unprotected sex with 20-somethings on their decks!! Maybe she'll leave snarky messages on their answering machines (and who has answering machines anymore?) Let's try ignoring her. BZZZ! Wrong answer. She'll come with thugs to the Brownstone! Oh, no! There will be curse words and homosexual slurs. Good God! The baby's family who all signed contracts with Bravo will give interviews. Lord help us!

Lest we forget: everything we see on this melodramatic crazy show is being filmed by a TV crew, lighting included. Even Danielle's stalker-ishly trying to cruise by the $1,000/plate dinner party at the Manzo's. For that one they needed not just one camera in the car, but at least one other on the road. When do we ever really get to see her (or any of them) as they really are? I think, sometimes, at Teresa's house when one of her kids throws a spontaneous tantrum - or the first time Caroline's live-in adult kids decided to throw ham around the kitchen.

It's like watching Batman, or the Justice League. It's meant to be unreal entertainment. Just like this forum, it's supposed to be fun! It's not always my personal idea of fun, but hey.... it's a big world!

______________________________ ___
    Purported Language Cop
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 06-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.

FORT Fan

Poppy, I agree with your cogent analysis. Whenever I watch one of these shows with one of my teens in the room, and they express some outrage, I always remind them that the drama's all occurring with cameras rolling -- and no one is more aware of that than the participants. Cheers!
    Last edited by Bredincaptivity; 06-04-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: grammar

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3923896;
    It's like watching Batman, or the Justice League. It's meant to be unreal entertainment. Just like this forum, it's supposed to be fun! It's not always my personal idea of fun, but hey.... it's a big world!
    I like.

Kiz

Earlier, I mentioned that I thought much of the HWNJ financial success was built on a house of cards. It looks like Teresa and Juicy Joe take the cake and the pie too. There's living beyond your means, and living BEYOND your means.

Spendaholic 'Housewife of NJ' owes a big-hair-raising $11M - NYPOST.com
    She has a gaudy new mansion, pricey breast implants and spends thousands of dollars on shopping sprees for her spoiled brats -- but a New Jersey reality star and her goombah hubby are real-life deadbeats who owe $11 million, court records show.

Free-spending "Real Housewives of New Jersey" diva Teresa Giudice and her husband, Joe, make just $79,000 a year and are up to their tanned necks in liens, foreclosures and unpaid bills, according to bankruptcy papers filed in Newark federal court.

The Giudices say they owe creditors $10,853,648.04.

Teresa, known for her lust for designer clothes and expensive bling on the Bravo show, owes nearly $20,000 on credit cards for Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. In total, the Giudices show $104,000 in debt on at least eight credit cards.

The bank has moved to foreclose on the Giudices' $1.8 million, 10,500-square-foot, eight-bedroom, 5˝-bath marble-and-onyx manse in Towaco, NJ, the couple moved into during the first season.

Teresa and Joe defaulted on their $1,280-a-month payment for the family's ubiquitous black Cadillac Escalade. They also didn't have insurance on the massive SUV, according to GMAC.

Teresa -- who this season told Joe to get a vasectomy -- owes $12,000 to a Garden State fertility clinic.

* Banks have taken the couple's $279,000 four-bedroom Jersey Shore house. The Giudices had three mortgages on the house and owed $325,000. The couple also handed over a $200,000 home in Lincoln Park, NJ, that had four mortgages -- and an outstanding debt of $600,000.

* Teresa and Joe owed another $1 million for property in Clifton, NJ, that has been given back to lenders.

On the show, Teresa famously dresses her four daughters in designer clothes, and last season dropped $2,000 in 10 minutes of shopping.

Yet, in bankruptcy papers, Teresa and Joe claim to spend just $400 a month on clothes.

On a recent "Real Housewives" episode, Teresa boasted that she dropped "a fortune" on daughter Gia's televised 9th birthday party. The child got an all-terrain vehicle, along with a trip to a spa in a pink stretch limo for her and her friends.

Joe, who "owns several successful businesses throughout New Jersey," according to his wife's Bravo bio, owes more than $5 million, including debts to former partners associated with his Section 8 real-estate deals.

In court papers, Joe, who owns a stucco and stone company, lists his monthly income as $3,250; Teresa pulls down $3,333 a month for her Bravo gig. The couple gets another $10,000 in "monthly assistance from family members."

Spendaholic 'housewife of NJ' owes a big-hair-raising $11M

Behind the bankruptcy filing

What the Giudices make a year:

$79,000 (plus $120,000 in “assistance” from family members)

What they owe: $10,853,648.04

Credit Cards
    $104,000
    including $20,000 to Bloomingdale’s, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom

$1,280 monthly payment for Cadillac Escalade

Mortgages
    $2.6M
    for eight mortgages on three homes (two have been handed back to lenders)

$5.8M Joe's business investments

$85,600 Home repairs

$12,000 Fertility treatments

$2,300 Phone bill
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fan

Teresa's kids are screwed and it looks like they are going to blame their parents, like Lynne's kids. Those little kids don't know what it's like to live like a normal person who has to pick and choose what they buy. Poor things.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Now we know why they haven't actually furnished their banquet hall mansion, and probably never will. Her book is doing very well and I hope it continues to sell for a long time. To me, Teresa comes across as a loving mom who would be able to make her children feel adored and special no matter what financial circumstances she finds herself in. At the minimum, they have that 120K annual "family" assistance
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

All I can say is WOW to the amount of debt they have! I had my idenity stolen & they didn't steal nearly as much from me. 3 years later & I am still fighting the banks. How can you use a credit card for gas when you are in a hospital? Sorry I digress. That's what happens when you have to work on a Saturday to pay for someone elses crime.
    I "think" & the attorneys here can correct me if I'm wrong, but even if they declare bankruptcy they still are responsible for paying back a chunk of that debt.
    Makes you wonder last season when Teresa was puulling out 50 grand CASH to buy furniture in that marble monstrocity.

FORT Regular

OMG. I hope the court makes them pay back at least some of that money. They clearly knew, based on their `stated' income, that they were going to have to default eventually.

FORT Fogey

Can't imagine continuously spending when you already owe that kind of money. It interests me that Teresa only makes $3,000 a month for the Bravo gig? Not that I wouldn't like an extra three grand a month, but that doesn't seem like much to be a "star" of a popular TV show and all that it entails in terms of time and invasiveness. I would have thought they made a lot more than that.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3924414;
    Can't imagine continuously spending when you already owe that kind of money. It interests me that Teresa only makes $3,000 a month for the Bravo gig? Not that I wouldn't like an extra three grand a month, but that doesn't seem like much to be a "star" of a popular TV show and all that it entails in terms of time and invasiveness. I would have thought they made a lot more than that.

She might make that `little', if you figure it out spaced out over a year, but they don't film the entire year. I would think that they have under-stated a lot of things on their declaration form in order to make themselves look as sympathetic as possible to the court.
    Plus, the Real Housewives stars get a LOT of free perks in addition to their `salaries.'

+ Reply to Thread