+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3274Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by alizarules;3622666;
    She pronounces it jew-dice, all the time. It should be jew-DEE-che. (last part like Che Guevara)
    That's a great way to explain how you're supposed to leave off the 'y' that English speakers naturally add to lots of words ending in -e or -a. Che not Chey, joo-DEE-che, not joo-DEE-chay. Our language yodicises (adds -y) to lots of vowels.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;3622773;
    Teresa's last name is Giudice, which, as she constantly reminds everyone, is Italian. In that language it's pronounced a bit like "joo-DEE-chey" to rhyme with "you TEACH ey." (It means "judge" or I think also the adjective "judicial" - not too hard to see the same root when you spell it like that.)

But she mangels it pronouncing it as "JOO-dice" to rhyme with "TOO nice."
    My guess is that Teresa, like most wives, pronounces the family name the way her husband and his family pronounce it. So even if pronouncing it as Joo-dice is technically incorrect, if that's the way the family pronounces it, it really isn't her fault. So now I'm wondering how Joe pronounces it. Anybody know?

FORT Fogey

That's a point, you're-not-really Imperfect1.

And if I met her I'd address her the way she pronounces it.

While sitting in silent, implacable judgement.

I thought it seemed a bit off with the way she pronounced it, but it is her name and she can pronounce it however she likes.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3625276;
    I thought it seemed a bit off with the way she pronounced it, but it is her name and she can pronounce it however she likes.

I have a first name that only 1 in 100 get correct the first time they see it, and my maiden name was always mispronounced. Who really cares how someone says their name, it really doesn't matter to me. I learned at a young age to answer to anything nice.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;3624727;
    That's a point, you're-not-really Imperfect1.

And if I met her I'd address her the way she pronounces it.

While sitting in silent, implacable judgement.
    Thanks for clearing up the "Joo-Dice" question. No, I never thought you had any ill intent of any kind. Web speak just requires we clarify, clarify, clarify.

I grew up with Italian neighbors and friends and became familiar with many pronunciations that differed from US standard English. One example is ricotta cheese, pronounced by my friends as "rigott". I think my old friends probably cringe at the "Joo-Dice" pronunciation.

Thanks again.

Does anyone know that this mystery was that Caroline was so upset about on Dina's behalf? I can't believe it was anything criminal or mob related. People simply would never ever discuss such things in my old neighborhood. Seriously never, ever, and you did not ask. These women on TV would be unthinkable and it seems a producers dream for the most part, not reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Candybar;3630264;
    Does anyone know that this mystery was that Caroline was so upset about on Dina's behalf? I can't believe it was anything criminal or mob related. People simply would never ever discuss such things in my old neighborhood. Seriously never, ever, and you did not ask. These women on TV would be unthinkable and it seems a producers dream for the most part, not reality.
    I believe it had to do with Dina not having her daughter's dad sign off on her being on the show. Dina's ex's sister is a friend of Danielle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3630271;
    I believe it had to do with Dina not having her daughter's dad sign off on her being on the show. Dina's ex's sister is a friend of Danielle.
    Thanks, I missed that.

Carolyn seems the most like my former neighbors of all of the women on the show. Temper and over the top family loyalty included.

Quote Originally Posted by AngloAm;3622773;
    No racial slur, honest. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Teresa's last name is Giudice, which, as she constantly reminds everyone, is Italian. In that language it's pronounced a bit like "joo-DEE-chey" to rhyme with "you TEACH ey." (It means "judge" or I think also the adjective "judicial" - not too hard to see the same root when you spell it like that.)

But she mangels it pronouncing it as "JOO-dice" to rhyme with "TOO nice."

I should have spelled it as "JOO-dice" and not "JEW-dice" to avoid the appearance of saying something unpleasant.
    Maybe I am wrong but I would imagine that Theresa pronounces her last name the way her husband pronounces it? It is Joe's name and I would imagine he has the right to pronounce it in any manner he so desires.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

who's gonna check me,boo? ladychat's Avatar

Danielle's Ex-Husband has remarried

ABSURD TO SUBLIME
    East of Reality

+ Reply to Thread