Closed Thread

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

I'm going to step in here and remind everyone to look at the first post in this thread. The conversation is slowly starting to go down the path it went last time, when the thread was closed.

This thread is for discussing what we see on the show, and stories about the show/characters that appear in legitimate news/information sources. If you want to "blow the lid off" one of the characters beause of things you've heard, or people you know who might know them, this is not the place to do it. You can have and express all the opinions you want, but if someone else has a vastly different opinion, that's their right too. If you "know" something, but can't produce links or sources that conform to the site's FAQ in order to introduce your information, please think before you post.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss the show. Keep in mind that reality TV often doesn't reflect actual reality, because it's meant to be entertainment. Try not to take it too seriously. If it upsets you that other users have a different opinion of things than you do, it's time to step back and take a breath. It really is 'just a TV show'. Thanks.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3359155;
    PugMum how do you know all these things about Tamra, Simon, Jay and Gretchen? What is your connection to them?
    If you will notice I asked that same thing earlier LOL! She ignored me, perhaps she will answer you!

This show is entertaining and has raised lots of issues. What I have learned is that I would never, ever want to become so obsessed with being young that I would hate someone younger. It's also been a really good show on parenting. I love the BBC Nanny show. Too bad these ladies didn't have that show when they were younger with small children.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy;3359293;
    This show is entertaining and has raised lots of issues. What I have learned is that I would never, ever want to become so obsessed with being young that I would hate someone younger. It's also been a really good show on parenting. I love the BBC Nanny show. Too bad these ladies didn't have that show when they were younger with small children.
    I agree, and given that Bravo usually has some respectable quality standards for their shows, I kind of think that's the idea. It's easy to look at the lives of wealthy people in the OC, New York, or Atlanta, and think that everything must be wine and roses, and fantastic behind those gates. I think that a show like this really shines a light on some of the sacrifices that have to be made to have such a life. It's kind of like HD TV -- every single wrinkle and blemish is suddenly highlighted. The houses may look nice, the bodies may look perfect, and the activities may seem luxurious. But when the curtain is pulled back, and you recognize what has to be sacrificed to maintain such a lifestyle (Vicki giving up so much quality time with her family in order to work, Tamara going through painful plastic surgeries to look good, etc not to mention the backstabbing and being unsure of who your REAL friends are ... if you have any) you really have to ask if its worth it. They certainly do it in an entertaining way, and I"m a sucker for it. But there is a slightly deeper message to the show overall.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3356729;
    Slade is pathetic slime. He is one of the ones that bought a house low then when home prices went artificially high he refinanced and pulled out all of the equity. Then when home prices dropped and he owed WAY more then the house was worth he walked away.
    I never said he had a great personality.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy;3358359;
    I do believe that Tamra called the Jay person the stalker, no one else did. I also find it strange that Tamra and Simon would take phone calls from a stranger after midnight. The strangest part is where the stranger got their phone number at that time in the morning from the side of the road.
    How many of us or our husbands, would take a call at that time from a stranger?
    Strange to me that he called, but not that the Barney's answered it -- for all they knew it could have been a relative in an emergency using a stranger's phone.

Slow on this piece of info - just saw where the Jennifer on "Rock of Love" Bus was Jeff's daughter. (This has probably been discussed - I tried a search and couldn't find anything. Sorry.)

WTF? I mean why would she and Gretchen want to do reality shows while Jeff is sick. Even if he wasn't on his death bed when they started the series (RofLove and RHWoOC) I can't believe they'd want to get caught up in the whole production aspect thinking he may get really, REALLY sick or even die.

Here's a link of the lovely Beitzel daughter:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_MhnJSIVUQ9I/SZ...mb%5B11%5D.jpg

uh huh.
    urgh.

When the women were at the Sonia Drakar spa, am I imagining this conversation or did Tamra ask Gretchen outright if she married her husband for money? I am looking back and thinking that she already had an axe to grind with Gretchen. My friend thought it was Tamra's true intentions surfacing at that time.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy;3359867;
    When the women were at the Sonia Drakar spa, am I imagining this conversation or did Tamra ask Gretchen outright if she married her husband for money? I am looking back and thinking that she already had an axe to grind with Gretchen. My friend thought it was Tamra's true intentions surfacing at that time.
    I remember that conversation and you're definitely not imagining it - that day at Sonia Drakar began with the limo ride where we first heard "Hold to your daddies girls, here comes Gretchen"! Tamra seemed to have an axe to grind with Gretchen long before the supposed phone call from whatshisname.

Ok, I'm not crazy. I wish they would show that one again to see if Tamra did ask her about being married. I do remember some lovely bridal photos of Gretchen with little girls. But the conversation was strange at the lunch part.

And why the daddies comment? That didn't make sense to me. Somehow, I never saw Simon as Tamra's daddy unless she's talking sugar daddy.

Closed Thread